I Oppose Raising Road Impact Fees

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2021, 08:52 AM

Exactly. It is all about the Developer. How much more can you want than a Billion dollar net worth each?
Old 01-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Let’s all keep paying for the south of 44 development. The new commissioners were elected in part based on this issue. Perhaps the proposed impact fee increase is too high but an increase is needed.
Every person running for public office has an agenda. Why else would the run? personnel gain? Do you actually think they care about public citizen after the elections is over?
Old 01-15-2021, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Disgusting, to propose that kind of a tax increase, and yes, it is a tax increase, after running against a large tax increase.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall View Post
Yes this is my concern. Additionally the Pandemic has caused harm to retail and restaurants in our community. I don’t think this year is the time to consider a large increase that will directly and negatively impact them.
The impact fees only apply to new development. Keeping the impact fees low encourages new development and new businesses. Existing retail and restaurant establishments struggling with the impact from Covid may not want the competition of new development in the area.

I have seen a post by an existing business that is looking to expand. The increased fees would absolutely influence that decision.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-15-2021, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Impact fee might be $1200 per unit. The developer would pay it once, per unit.
Taxes might go up $600 per unit. The property owner would pay that extra $600 every year.

I think it's in the homeowner's best interest to impose the impact fee, and pay that $1200 spread out over the course of their mortgage (or pay it up front via cash purchase), rather than pay $600 per year extra for every year they live there, until such time as the rates go up again.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Disgusting, to propose that kind of a tax increase, and yes, it is a tax increase, after running against a large tax increase.
The problem with calling it a tax increase is that readers become confused (which I truly believe was the intent of the headline in the paper).

The commissioners ran against the 25% property tax increase. The argument was that the taxes were increased on existing properties in order to keep the impact fees lower on new development. If I remember correctly, the commissioners campaigned that they would roll back the property tax increase and remove some or all of the discount being applied to the impact fees. This is exactly what they seem to be proposing now.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

Of course the developer should pay the impact fees. Why should Sumter County residents, who are watching their once beautiful area be destroyed, pay.... that's adding insult to injury. It's outrageous that any Sumter County resident should have their taxes raised 25% to pay for something the developer is building and will profit from.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:46 AM

In addition, businesses can (and do) write off every little expense THAT YOU AND I CANNOT😭😭😭😭😭
Old 01-15-2021, 09:46 AM

Yeah, God forbid that any taxes are not thrown on the residents to absorb. Then there is always those residents who like to be abused and like paying extra fees as if we're not paying enough now!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong prior to the recent 25 percent increase when was the last PT increase in sumter county? 10-15 years ago?. The issue is everyone saw 25 percent which sent everyone shorts in a bunch. If the PT had increased incrementally over that time we would have a lot less outrage and had better infrastructure. Part of the issue is most everyone s primary income Soc Sec has been creeping up (.9 percent for 2021)while our Legislative branch just voted themselves a +10 percent pay increase.
Combine that fact with pending tax increases. Something to chew on for breakfast.
Please don't confuse an increase in property tax with an increase in the rate of property tax. Perhaps it was not necessary to increase the rate of tax over the past decade because each property owner has paid a slow but steadily increasing amount of tax because that fixed rate is applied to the increased assessed value of his/her property. And as a general comment to this post, I would like to point out that growth has its detriments as well as its benefits. You would not know this from reading the Daily Sun in which growth without end is only beneficial, as thousands of acres of productive Florida land is converted to what is considered necessary for human habitation. This is land that is no longer naturally growing trees and grasses, providing homes and habitats for wildlife, replenishing the aquifer, etc. The economic justification for impact fees is to incorporate the true and total costs of development (not just the direct costs) into the process so as not to transfer it to others (the environment, existing property owners, etc.)
Old 01-15-2021, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I wonder if all those people who brought the trucks and attended the hearing were on the clock and getting paid for it by the developer's favorite contractors.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:47 AM

When in doubt, smear the truth Sayers. Good tactic
Old 01-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage

Right on.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
I wonder if all those people who brought the trucks and attended the hearing were on the clock and getting paid for it by the developer's favorite contractors.
Do you have any doubt?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall View Post
As a resident of Sumter County, I oppose the proposal by Oren Miller and Gary Search to raise road impact fees. Sumter County is a model for the State of Florida for Economic Growth and has been attracting business to it for the past several years. The proposed increase is outrageous! The increase will further decimate businesses impacted by the Pandemic and will make investing in Sumter County by potential incoming business less palatable and will likely steer many away. Also I am even more concerned that we may lose the potential for UF to build a hospital and medical facilities in the south which is definitely needed with our growth in population. The raising of the impact fees will damage our Community for years to come.
An interesting conflict. Actually has always and will always be so. We want but we want anyone but us to pay for it. True for all of us-including me.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, sumter, fees, impact, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.