Was I overcharged?

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Gold member
Default Was I overcharged?

During Irma I lost about 25 shingles. No felt tears or wood visible.

Sacks did our new contruction 3 yrs ago. I called the the day after the storm and also sent them a request for service via their email site. I called several more times and never received a call back.

This Saturday a laborer from Sacks showed up and said he didn't have the right color shingles with him, but would check out our rook and make sure everything was water tight, returning on Sunday to replace the shingles. He was on the roof for about 40 minutes on Saturday.

Sunday he came and was on the roof for about 50 minutes and left without talking to me.

I found an invoice in the front door for $400.00 for labor. The shingles were covered under warranty. So the $400.00 was for labor only.

There is nothing itemized. Nothing for hourly rate, number of shingles, service call etc. Just "labor to replace shingles, $400.00"

We were expecting this to be a $150-$200 repair. This, because my husband was a residental contractor for some 30 yrs and he went up on the roof and saw the damage.

I want to call Sacks, about the over charge, but want to ask first if any of you have been overcharged in this manner.

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Good to know. I was thinking about using Sacks to redo my roof. Now I'll have to rethink that.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It sounds like you were overcharged.
I would ask then to explain the bill before asking any other questions.
Next ask how many hours did they charge to the job for each day if this was not answered.
Next would be why was two trips necessary since they did the roof and should have known the correct color.
Then offer to split the bill as the first trip should not have been necessary. As a minimum the guy should have brought several different packages of shingles on the first trip if they were not quite sure of the color.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Call Bob Sacks, the owner. Something isn't right. Was it a company invoice?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post

Sacks did our new contruction 3 yrs ago. I called the the day after the storm and also sent them a request for service via their email site. I called several more times and never received a call back.

This Saturday a laborer from Sacks showed up and said he didn't have the right color shingles with him, but would check out our rook and make sure everything was water tight, returning on Sunday to replace the shingles. He was on the roof for about 40 minutes on Saturday.

Sunday he came and was on the roof for about 50 minutes and left without talking to me.

I found an invoice in the front door for $400.00 for labor. The shingles were covered under warranty. So the $400.00 was for labor only.

There is nothing itemized. Nothing for hourly rate, number of shingles, service call etc. Just "labor to replace shingles, $400.00"

We were expecting this to be a $150-$200 repair. This, because my husband was a residental contractor for some 30 yrs and he went up on the roof and saw the damage.

I want to call Sacks, about the over charge, but want to ask first if any of you have been overcharged in this manner.

Thanks for your input!
Guess I was lucky.
I spoke to a lady in the office at Sacs and she assured me an estimator would call they never returned my 3 phone calls

I'd say you got Sacked
Old 10-13-2017, 05:46 PM

Scott Smith roofing was giving free estimates in our area. We had 4 caps off he fixed them for free
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

Maybe doing work on a weekend caused the high price. I assume most roofing companies are still very busy.

Hopefully you can reach a satisfactory solution.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I think u were “sacked”
Old 10-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

$400 for 1 1/2 hours of labor for a roofer...is outrageous.

Call the owner and ask how that could even be possible.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:

Thanks for your input!

Contest the charge. If you never signed his invoice and were never told what the cost would be, call around for the going rate and pay them that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

Thanks for your input!
dottie:

Based on your comments Sacks must have been very busy doing other roofs. Since it took him sometime to reach you following the storm.

His laborer worked Saturday and Sunday to what you determined to be 90 minutes.

Three bundles = a square of shingles. I do know what the going unit rate per square is in this area? And I am uncertain as to the warranty against hurricane as the issue would appear to be one of installation. I say this because a shingle manufacturer will only warrant up to about 60 mph or so. Irma was a Cat 1 here.

You have an invoice that is not itemized and state that it only covers labor. if that is true then Sacks rate is about $44.50 per hour straight labor.

The market in times of catastrophes increases

You may want to speak with Sacks and get a breakdown of his invoice

Personal Best Regards:
Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
dottie:

I say this because a shingle manufacturer will only warrant up to about 60 mph or so. Irma was a Cat 1 here.
GAF says their shingle can survive 110mph for 2 hours and 150mph gusts . http://www.gaf.com/Residential_Roofi...y_Brochure.pdf

Owens Corning warranty brochure says that their shingles are warranted for 110 or 130 mph depending on how they are nailed on.

Warranty Comparison | Owens Corning™ Roofing
Old 10-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
dottie:

Based on your comments Sacks must have been very busy doing other roofs. Since it took him sometime to reach you following the storm.

His laborer worked Saturday and Sunday to what you determined to be 90 minutes.

Three bundles = a square of shingles. I do know what the going unit rate per square is in this area? And I am uncertain as to the warranty against hurricane as the issue would appear to be one of installation. I say this because a shingle manufacturer will only warrant up to about 60 mph or so. Irma was a Cat 1 here.

You have an invoice that is not itemized and state that it only covers labor. if that is true then Sacks rate is about $44.50 per hour straight labor.

The market in times of catastrophes increases

You may want to speak with Sacks and get a breakdown of his invoice

Personal Best Regards:
Sage advice.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Overchargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Contest the charge. If you never signed his invoice and were never told what the cost would be, call around for the going rate and pay them that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, the Villagers need to be more vigilant for the charges etc. They look at us seniors as a Money Tree. Best to get an extimate first and write it down if they do not.
Also ask for a statement, not to exceed xxxxxx..
It seems the most of these overcharges are a test of how far to go. On one minor roof fix, I got an estimate of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, $60 and $350 + so that should explain a lot, BE CAREFUL AND DO NOT TRUST ANYONE HERE. It is truly unfortunate that the villages will not take a stand at least they would not for us on poor work at big prices. If only they required licenses on file and a report for poor performance, this would all stop. In another State, Idaho, we had a minor problem with a contractor, I wrote the AG and in two days the guy was out to make it right. It all comes down to will someone back you up. I found here, it is NO.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Gold member

Based on the responses here, I feel that I was indeed over charged.

I will call Bob Sacks on Monday. I told them what color my shingles were when I initially called them and when I contacted them on on their website. I checked that on our closing docs. to be sure of the color. So he should have had the shingles with him if he was coming to do the repair.

In any case, the labor charge was out of line, and nothing was itemized. No number of hours listed, No price per hour, nothing about 2 trips. Just "Labor to replace shingles". I was already told by their office on the phone that the shingles would be covered and all I would incur was labor costs.

So something is not right and if Sacks will not correct it I will call Seniors against crime. The $400.00 for less than 2 hrs labor is totally out of line.
Closed Thread

Tags
shingles, labor, $400.00, roof, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.