Was I overcharged?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 AM

i paid $250. to have 4 shingles replaced along a ridge. $250. was their minimum with trip charge.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Gold member
Default For the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Based on the responses here, I feel that I was indeed over charged.

I will call Bob Sacks on Monday. I told them what color my shingles were when I initially called them and when I contacted them on on their website. I checked that on our closing docs. to be sure of the color. So he should have had the shingles with him if he was coming to do the repair.

In any case, the labor charge was out of line, and nothing was itemized. No number of hours listed, No price per hour, nothing about 2 trips. Just "Labor to replace shingles". I was already told by their office on the phone that the shingles would be covered and all I would incur was labor costs.

So something is not right and if Sacks will not correct it I will call Seniors against crime. The $400.00 for less than 2 hrs labor is totally out of line.
I expect after you talk to a manager some agreement will be reached.
Be sure to send a certified letter confirming the conversation. If, a reasonable settlement is reached send a check marked as per my pnone conversation with ....... on ......... THIS IS PAYMENT IN FULL AGAINST INVOICE #...... You want to keep copies of everything.

These things can take on a life of their own. If, not properly done at the company-marked paid in full-you can be contacted in ?????? demanding payment of the opened balance

HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL TURN OUT TO BE EASY TO RESOLVE.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

You may have just learned another one of life's lessons. Always make sure the company provides an estimate before you allow them to start the work.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
dottie:

Based on your comments Sacks must have been very busy doing other roofs. Since it took him sometime to reach you following the storm.

His laborer worked Saturday and Sunday to what you determined to be 90 minutes.

Three bundles = a square of shingles. I do know what the going unit rate per square is in this area? And I am uncertain as to the warranty against hurricane as the issue would appear to be one of installation. I say this because a shingle manufacturer will only warrant up to about 60 mph or so. Irma was a Cat 1 here.

You have an invoice that is not itemized and state that it only covers labor. if that is true then Sacks rate is about $44.50 per hour straight labor.

The market in times of catastrophes increases

You may want to speak with Sacks and get a breakdown of his invoice

Personal Best Regards:
How do you arrive at 44.50/hr on a 1.5 hour job billed at $400?
Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Sage

What about travel time to @ back--the mechanic is on the clock from the moment he leaves the shop and returns--the only complaint would be if he was on a job nearby and went to another job close to yours an if the mechanic had logged in 40 hrs-he is on OT

However: and the big however, is this should have explained up front
Old 10-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When there is such widespread damage to roofs. The entire state was affected by this act of nature, then roofers have the upper hand. It may not be just, fair or kind, but they are sought after and they may take unfair advantage.

We will remember if they do.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
GAF says their shingle can survive 110mph for 2 hours and 150mph gusts . http://www.gaf.com/Residential_Roofi...y_Brochure.pdf

Owens Corning warranty brochure says that their shingles are warranted for 110 or 130 mph depending on how they are nailed on.

Warranty Comparison | Owens Corning™ Roofing
I stand corrected. thank you. Again improper installation may be an exclusion. I should have done a google search before responding I can no longer rely on my memory
Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
How do you arrive at 44.50/hr on a 1.5 hour job billed at $400?
Your right at 4:30 AM when I did the calculations they looked sound . egads charlie Brown
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran member

Just asking, doesn't insurance pay for the damage from the storm?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
Just asking, doesn't insurance pay for the damage from the storm?
Deductible applies
Old 10-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Thanks, I guess the deductible could be higher than the repair.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:41 AM

was charged $350 by a David Hall for replacing 6 roof caps was on roof for a total of 6 min, had him on camera"s.The villages should of helped us out with this and had all there roofers stop what they were doing and answer calls and repair our damaged roof's that were supposed to with stand more wind that what we had, and at a reasonable price.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:42 AM

Don’t pay anything until you are this was one of their workmen. That seems outrageous for that amount of work
Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
During Irma I lost about 25 shingles. No felt tears or wood visible.

Sacks did our new contruction 3 yrs ago. I called the the day after the storm and also sent them a request for service via their email site. I called several more times and never received a call back.

This Saturday a laborer from Sacks showed up and said he didn't have the right color shingles with him, but would check out our rook and make sure everything was water tight, returning on Sunday to replace the shingles. He was on the roof for about 40 minutes on Saturday.

Sunday he came and was on the roof for about 50 minutes and left without talking to me.

I found an invoice in the front door for $400.00 for labor. The shingles were covered under warranty. So the $400.00 was for labor only.

There is nothing itemized. Nothing for hourly rate, number of shingles, service call etc. Just "labor to replace shingles, $400.00"

We were expecting this to be a $150-$200 repair. This, because my husband was a residental contractor for some 30 yrs and he went up on the roof and saw the damage.

I want to call Sacks, about the over charge, but want to ask first if any of you have been overcharged in this manner.

Thanks for your input!
WELCOME TO THE VILLAGES! I always get quotes before I have any worked done but I haven't had to have anything done YET. Everytime I see things like this about having anything done here on the "TALK OF THE VILLAGES". I always say exactly what you're saying, TV contractors & these guys going around trying to get work see a senior citizens to overcharge. My neighbor had 10 or 12 litlle bushes planted about a ft. tall & decided he wanted them moved about 2 ft. from where they were, he got quoted of $1,200. My neighbor did it himself in an Hour & a Half. I'm telling you TV are letting these guys rip people off. I know there's some people that lived in a part of the country where it was more expensive to live & they think everything is a deal to get done. In fact we have a Realtor from where we came from looking for a home for us to move back to. I like TV but I will not get ripped off by TV handy men.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Your right at 4:30 AM when I did the calculations they looked sound . egads charlie Brown
Well, I never was a math person, so I even hesitated to ask!

Tags
shingles, labor, $400.00, roof, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.