I thought there were no fences allowed

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 AM

You bring up a good question about Code Enforcement. I reached out to the Building Codes Division of District 10. The answer I found was that Code Enforcement is 100% Complaint Driven. In other words, build something outside of the building code, if no one complains, neighbor, etc. then you'll get away with it until???? Risky way to live. If you don't like your neighbor and it bothers your freedom...Complain to your local Board and the fences will come down or they'll be paying Fines to keep them up. BEWARE if you choose to complain you MUST leave your name and address. This does become public record. This is needed to avoid for those false complaints.

Last edited by Steve Gawdun; 12-23-2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Addition of fact.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:36 AM
Sage

If everyone would bother to read the restrictions that they agreed to at closing (yes, even on resales), they would have read the last section that states that we all have an OBLIGATION to see that the restrictions are enforced up to and including litigation. MAKE THE CALL. It's anonymous, folks, but it keeps the place beautiful and safe for all of us.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The rules are there for a reason - to keep the Villages looking good. The rules are not there "just to be rules". If the fence cannot be seen, and I'm assuming it must be something the neighbors needed and serves a purpose, the dogs are not bothering anyone, why would anyone complain. You'll create bad feelings with your neighbor and it doesn't meet the criteria of making The Villages look better. Why worry about an invisible fence particularly if it doesn't hurt anyone and one wouldn't even know it was there had they not seen it going up. On the other hand, if the fence was visible, that is a different story. For whatever reason, The Villages thinks fences don't look good and have restricted their use. If a person didn't like the looks of a fence, and didn't mind starting a war with the neighbor, by all means report it.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Email Reported As Spam

[quote=Barefoot;799346][QUOTE=Trish Crocker;799332]Barefoot, it isn't the fence you 'can't see'...it's the legal fact that once a fence is allowed then the entire restriction is no longer enforceable.
Quote:

I get your point, Trish. And in theory, I agree. But I'm just saying there are so darn many things that people complain about. Everything from people putting out garbage on the wrong day to people having grandchildren visit for more than 30 days. When I ride my bike through different neighborhoods, I have actually seen red driveways, houses that have properties that are completely rocked, and lawn ornaments galore (south of 466). Visible things that make me say Yikes!

I think there are a heck of a lot of infractions of community restrictions. And of course none of us want that. But we also don't want to be on the phone every day complaining about a neighbor.

Bottom line ... I think you have to choose your battles wisely, issues that you find really offensive or cause safety issues. A fence that can't be seen seems to be at the bottom of the list.
Hi Barefoot:

I understand your point but it seems what gets lost by some folks is that those complainers serve an important function. If everyone simply accepted at face value other people's actions then this development would go to hell in a hand basket.

I agree with your live and let live philosophy but only if it doesn't infringe on others. Boogie Shooter is spot on rules are rules. People like me signed up here because we liked rules.

I lived in an area with little if any rules and it resulted in a high wood fence being pushed up against a chain link fence

If people want to continue bragging about the beauty of The villages they may want to take time once and a while and thank the complainers.

Personal Best Regards
Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
The rules are there for a reason - to keep the Villages looking good. The rules are not there "just to be rules". If the fence cannot be seen, and I'm assuming it must be something the neighbors needed and serves a purpose, the dogs are not bothering anyone, why would anyone complain. You'll create bad feelings with your neighbor. Why worry about an invisible fence particularly if it doesn't hurt anyone and one wouldn't even know it was there had they not seen it going up.
Very sensible post. Assuming the reason for no fence is to protect the look of the neighborhood as originally designed. Then take into account that you cannot see the fence from the street, it is a animal protection device that is only seen by the owner.

No brainier to me. Amend the rules to allow them under these circumstances.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 AM

"If I buy here I will have to decide courtyard villa with only a 1 and a half garage or no privacy because no fences."

There are courtyard villas with 2 car garages, some with extended 2 car garages. May be a bit rarer to find, but they do exist. And if you buy an end unit courtyard villa with enough room to the side street, you are allowed to add a garage addition.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
When I ride my bike through different neighborhoods, I have actually seen red driveways, houses that have properties that are completely rocked, and lawn ornaments galore (south of 466). Visible things that make me say Yikes!
In passing, the historic district doesn't have the same deed restrictions as other areas. Nothing in mine about lawn ornaments or seasonal decorations, for example.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Community Standards

MISSION

To assist residents in upholding the aesthetic value of their property in The Villages.

The Community Standards Department is committed to upholding the high standards of our communitys residential architectural design, landscaping and aesthetics. The department has two divisions: Deed Compliance and Architectural Review.

You have chosen to live in a community protected by Restrictive Covenants. The Declaration of Restrictions was issued to you at the closing on your home. It was at that time you signed a covenant with the Developer to comply with the Restrictive Covenants. We urge all homeowners to read their Restrictive Covenants.

Concerns about possible deed restriction violations may be provided to the Community Standards Deed Compliance Division by phone, fax, mail, electronic mail, or in person and may be made anonymously. The Community Standards Deed Compliance Division is entirely complaint driven.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Yea Bogie
Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Community Standards

MISSION

To assist residents in upholding the aesthetic value of their property in The Villages.

The Community Standards Department is committed to upholding the high standards of our communitys residential architectural design, landscaping and aesthetics. The department has two divisions: Deed Compliance and Architectural Review.

You have chosen to live in a community protected by Restrictive Covenants. The Declaration of Restrictions was issued to you at the closing on your home. It was at that time you signed a covenant with the Developer to comply with the Restrictive Covenants. We urge all homeowners to read their Restrictive Covenants.

Concerns about possible deed restriction violations may be provided to the Community Standards Deed Compliance Division by phone, fax, mail, electronic mail, or in person and may be made anonymously. The Community Standards Deed Compliance Division is entirely complaint driven.
So let it be written, So let it be done. Restrictions help keep our property values up and generally benefit everyone in the neighborhood.

However, there are "holes" in most all Covenants. For example. You can't park your 38' Motorhome in your driveway except for a brief time BUT you "might" be able to park it on the street for weeks at a time. You "might" also paint your house a bright purple, green or orange color that you like but your neighbors think it reduces their property values. These are rare but they do and have happen in TV. A little fence might seem rather small "stuff" compared to a 38' Motorhome or a purple colored house next door.

Overall, TV is a great place to live and the Covenants help to keep it that way. 99% of our neighbors in TV feel the same.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

From what I have seen in past neighborhoods I have lived in that relaxed their deed restrictions, one little fence soon became lots of little fences that soon became bigger fences that soon became small storage buildings that became bigger storage buildings that soon.....

You get the point. People will push the envelope and other people that see nothing happening to them will push the envelope etc.

Nip it in the bud before it escalates.

TV is as beautiful as it is because of deed restrictions.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
" I'm not sure why anyone would bother to complain about a fence they can't see.
Now THAT is reasonable.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Sage

How many people have landscaped in their back yard where the electric box is and not respected the 10 foot MANDATORY distance from the box? How many people do not obey the road signs? How many people do this and that which are not the rules...be sensible. If you can't see the fence, why is it an issue?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage

Seems to me, if they went to all the trouble and expense of making it look like a hedge, and if it does look like a hedge, why not just leave it alone. It doesn't look like a fence, it isn't a 6-foot "spite fence," and it keeps their dogs from pooping on your lawn.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
How many people have landscaped in their back yard where the electric box is and not respected the 10 foot MANDATORY distance from the box? How many people do not obey the road signs? How many people do this and that which are not the rules...be sensible. If you can't see the fence, why is it an issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Seems to me, if they went to all the trouble and expense of making it look like a hedge, and if it does look like a hedge, why not just leave it alone. It doesn't look like a fence, it isn't a 6-foot "spite fence," and it keeps their dogs from pooping on your lawn.
Have you read any of the previous posts??

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.