Recycling Finally Coming!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Recycling Finally Coming!!!!

Yeah!!! Recycling is finally coming to TV starting March 3. According to today's Sun, you'll need specific bags from Glad. Pickup will be on Tuesday for Sumter and Marion Counties north of 466 and Friday for south of 466 -- just put the recycling out with the trash. We still have two pickups a week. So, I'd say it's all good!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Default Re: Recycling Finally Coming!!!!

Glad to read that the recycling program is starting up.I would ask you not to forget our churchs(newspapers)and the Rotary Club(cans),I realize it takes extra effort but you will be helping our community by continuing to support these important programs.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:43 PM

bargee

Where are the churches and Rotary locations where we can take the papers and cans?

I would be happy to have a place to take them but do not know where to go .

Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Eternal Member

Did you notice that they are going to tack a $1.47 charge onto your garbage bill for the "privilege" of recycling PLUS you have to buy the bags!!

Since this is The Villages I would assume you will pay the $1.47 whether or not you recycle or whether or not you are even in town - think snowbirds.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I've yet to see where rcycling doesn't increase the bill. So, the $1.47 increase isn't that much of an issue to me.

I don't agree with the using of plastic bags and being told what kind of bags I can use but I'll live with it. I'm just happy that I can decrease from the landfills a bit. I have always had more recycling than trash so it is a big thing to me.

13-gallon bags definitely are going to increase my garbage piles. Guess I'll be having one for newspapers, another one for plastics and cans. My soda cans I always keep for charity.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum member

mom2five:
I take my newspapers to Hope Lutheran on CR-466 just east of Morse or to St. Timothy's off Paige and along 27/441 just north of Town Square. I think there are other locations, as well.
Don't know about cans. Since I hardly ever have any aluminum cans like soda or beer, I haven't paid attention! I'm glad that I can recycle my cat food and V8 cans, along with other stuff. However, I think I'll continue to take my papers to a church. I'm sure every penny helps them out!
SWR
Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

whoopee.......
Just what I've always wanted to do in retirement....
PICK CRAP WITH THE CHICKENS...............
Maybe next we can save a gator !!!!!
thrilled fumar
Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Veteran member

Heard (from the chickens) you excel at this............ Have a gator that needs help ;D ;D
Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Eternal Member

$1.47 X 30,000 homes X 12 months = $529,000 that someone or some company is making off of us whether we recycle or not.

I was told in the papers at one time that the recyclers can sell this trash for good money.

What happened to the "it isn't going to cost the residents anyrhing"?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Gold member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gee, as I read the list of all those things that can be put in the recycling bag and then read that we need to buy the bags and have a small fee added to our monthly bills from the VCCDD, I wondered why there is no mention of a reduction in the monthly trash pick- up charge. I mean, currently those charges included all of the things that will now be recycled and I assume wont wind up at the tipping station and wont be sent to county landfill.

I see that we can place newspapers, soda and beer cans in our 13 gallon bags. Amazing that there have always been some organizations that derived income from collecting these things and never charged the residents, and these items will now be picked up and one would assume produce income along with the recycling fee.

Should we also expect that the recycling monthly add-on fee will also be impacted by increases in the CPI?

Guess there is money to be made in recycling and enough to spread around. But not enough to return it to the folks who are willing to recycle.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Mom2Five; Aluminum cans can be dropped at all mail box locations,newspapers at Hope Luthern,St Timothys Paige Place and St Marks Rt 42 Summerfield
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

You know, I still think it'll be a relative bargain:
Add the $1.47 to my current monthly trash fee = $16.92 per month. If I assume that there are or will be 4 visits a week, or 16 visits a month from the trash collectors (that is, twice for garbage, once for yard stuff and once for recycle), then it's only $1.06 per visit. I don't think that's unreasonable at all! Sure, zcaveman's math makes it look like a massive windfall for someone, but I'll bet their costs will push any so-called profit down to pennies.
Oh, well, it's good to know they'll come and do what I was incorrectly told they were doing when I came here 3 years ago!
SWR
Old 02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Sage

$16.92 per month?

Heck i pay almost $40 per month here in MA for private pickup (no town pickup available). It is once per week and includes recycles (must separate yourself) every OTHER week. NO grass or lawn waste. I must either mulch or drag to the woods for natural decompostion.

$16.92 per month for everthing I get plus? - sign me up!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191

Excerpted from CDD:

Recycling in The Villages
Weekly curbside recycling service is starting on March 3rd for Marion and Sumter Counties. Download information on the Recycling Routes and the Recyclable Materials Guide.

http://districtgov.org/images/whatsnew/recycle2.pdf

http://districtgov.org/images/whatsnew/recycle1.pdf
Does the recycling apply to lake county i looked at these sites and they don't mention
my garbage pickup days

FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.