Ideas for a new business in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2021, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Missed Brooklyn Bagels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
'...but I'm guessing that he'd make a fortune if he could produce bagels like they have in NY

just saying
You must be missing Brooklyn Bagels on 441. Boiled and baked just like NY. With the ‘flavoring’ on both top and bottom! Our NY friends say they’re even better.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Have you missed both superbly well-equipped Villages Woodshops? One on Rolling Acres Road, the brand new bigger one across the street from Eisenhower Rec Center.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:45 AM

concierge service -
One stop shop for everything from arranging transportation to house painting
Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYtoTV2021 View Post
Lawn service. The current rates are way too high for the time. These guys are making over $100/hour for cutting grass.
$100 an hour? We have an average sized home in TV with 3 irrigation zones and pay $65 a month. They do my yard 3-4 times a month and usually they have 3 people who are in and out of here in about 10 minutes. If they cut grass 3 times a month their man hours would be 1.2 hours. $65 is cheap as they have other expenses, such as WC, fuel, insurance, administration and equipment(their mowers cost as much as our golf carts).
Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Have you missed both superbly well-equipped Villages Woodshops? One on Rolling Acres Road, the brand new bigger one across the street from Eisenhower Rec Center.
What is the current wait time to get a membership to the woodshop?
Old 06-23-2021, 12:02 PM

Most people WAY underestimate the fixed operating costs of many businesses.

While I 100% agree that there is a dearth of independent non-franchise restaurants in this area, restaurants have one of the highest failure rates of all new businesses. Rent in a good location would likely be super-expensive, and finding reliable employees a huge on-going hassle. But oh how I wish there were more good ethnic restaurants in the area!

I'd also wish there was a good "dive bar" with decent food & drink prices, darts & pool tables, with a dance floor that had good live music on the weekends.

And/or a cool restaurant / bar bistro that hosted national/regional touring bands during the weekends, maybe some cool jazz nights during the week, live comedy a few times a week. I'm probably in the minority here, but the music @ the Squares with local bands that play nothing but covers of songs we've all heard a million times before bores me to tears.

OP's friend wouldn't get rich without expanding and taking on multiple crews / employees, but small businesses with high potential for success that one could open for less than $40,000:

Pool maintenance service
Lawn care business
Irrigation system installation & maintenance
Gutter installation / cleaning & maintenance
Pressure washer / window washer / screen replacement
Mobile golf cart repair
Small engine repair
General Handyman service
Interior / exterior painting service
On-site computer repair & training
Mobile car detailing & window tinting
House cleaning service
Property management for absentee homeowners
Small furniture moving and assembling

Nothing new under the sun, many of the above ideas have already been mentioned.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,509 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post

I'd also wish there was a good "dive bar" with decent food & drink prices, darts & pool tables, with a dance floor that had good live music on the weekends.
Turns out there are places like that. You just have to go outside the bubble. There's the Gator Bay Bar and Grille in Leesburg, on the way to Mt. Dora. They have live music, reasonable prices, fried gator and po boys as their specialty foods, karaoke night, burgers and fries, hotdogs and fries, $2.25 domestic drafts, a glass of cola is $1.25, etc. etc.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Turns out there are places like that. You just have to go outside the bubble. There's the Gator Bay Bar and Grille in Leesburg, on the way to Mt. Dora. They have live music, reasonable prices, fried gator and po boys as their specialty foods, karaoke night, burgers and fries, hotdogs and fries, $2.25 domestic drafts, a glass of cola is $1.25, etc. etc.
I've been there & like it! But it's 40 minutes away from me, too far to drive on any kind of regular basis.

Seemingly there's a large enough year-round population here to support more food / entertainment options, but evidently not.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts
Default Hobby Garage Condo's

This one's so obvious. I'm tempted to risk my retirement savings and go after it myself.

The only bad thing about moving here last March was that half our stuff wound up in storage, with our hobbies mothballed. My wife's a quilter with a 12' quilting machine, and I'm a tool guy who likes to build things -- furniture, cars, motorcycles, and even an airplane once. We bought a big house (for the Villages) with a big garage (we thought) and tried to downsize. It wasn't enough.

I can't believe the Developer hasn't already thought of this. There must be thousands of car guys alone in the Villages with the same problem.

You would buy an acre and build a big metal building on it. Divide it up and sell it off, 600 sqft at a time. Collect maintenance fees. Build another one and keep raking in the dough.

There ya go! You're welcome! Just remember, I GET THE FIRST ONE!
Old 06-23-2021, 03:12 PM
Default Business idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3860 View Post
A friend of mine that retired too young is looking to relocate to the Villages and start some sort of business.

Does anyone have any ideas I can pass by him that would be good here? Something besides the obvious Golf Carts, Golf Clubs. There must be something out there that is missing here that even Amazon can't fill. Think outside the box. Thanks
Italian ice and Boardwalk Fries stand would be a great business.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

How about a fast food fish joint like, long John silvers, capt. Ds
Old 06-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Quote:
A friend of mine that retired too young is looking to relocate to the Villages and start some sort of business.

Does anyone have any ideas I can pass by him that would be good here? Something besides the obvious Golf Carts, Golf Clubs. There must be something out there that is missing here that even Amazon can't fill. Think outside the box. Thanks
Well Steve17.............did the villagers give you ideas??? Did you summarize for your "friend"?? I think you should provide feedback.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:06 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
This one's so obvious. I'm tempted to risk my retirement savings and go after it myself.

The only bad thing about moving here last March was that half our stuff wound up in storage, with our hobbies mothballed. My wife's a quilter with a 12' quilting machine, and I'm a tool guy who likes to build things -- furniture, cars, motorcycles, and even an airplane once. We bought a big house (for the Villages) with a big garage (we thought) and tried to downsize. It wasn't enough.

I can't believe the Developer hasn't already thought of this. There must be thousands of car guys alone in the Villages with the same problem.

You would buy an acre and build a big metal building on it. Divide it up and sell it off, 600 sqft at a time. Collect maintenance fees. Build another one and keep raking in the dough.

There ya go! You're welcome! Just remember, I GET THE FIRST ONE!
You can rent exactly that right outside of Fenney, I believe they are 500 sq. ft, maybe some larger with a little office, air conditioning, restroom, etc. There are also a lot of them on C. Thomas drive in Wildwood just behind Lazy Days RV. A lot of car guys rent them as well as some small businesses, one guy is running a baseball card business out of his unit.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:

This almost identical post was posted over 10 years ago.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:04 PM

I wish somebody would open a restaurant with a good quality Sunday Brunch buffet with all-you-can-drink Bloody Mary's & Mimosas!
Closed Thread

Tags
ideas, golf, villages, business, missing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.