Ideas for a new business in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2021, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
After reading all of these I have decided there is a need for a new Lionel model train store in the area so I am opening Nick's Vintage Trains in the remodeled old hobby shop located at 113 N. Main Street in Wildwood directly across from the Wildwood City Hall. Everything is going well for a mid-September opening except for the red tape involved in getting a sign permit from the City, a city that wants to attract new downtown businesses. Anyway I will have a large inventory of prewar and postwar O gauge trains along with new Lionel and Williams trains along with Woodland Scenic O scale structures. Watch for the opening and hope to meet some of you at the store in the near future.
We have my husband's lionel trains in their original boxes from 1951. Do you think there is a market for them?
Old 08-26-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and make some suggestions...

I don't believe that there are any flight training schools inside TV for people that have a hankering to learn how to fly

also missing are the street vendors that sell sausages on the street corners (and umbrellas when it rains)

haven't seen any manufacturing inside TV....and somebody's already grabbed 'the pillow market'...but I'm guessing that he'd make a fortune if he could produce bagels like they have in NY

just saying
he could produce bagels like they have in NY. Exactly! My nephew opened two bagel places, one in upstate NY. and one down here in the south and he is doing quite well.Otherwise as was suggested he could get a job.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We have my husband's lionel trains in their original boxes from 1951. Do you think there is a market for them?
Yes, train sets, especially in their original boxes, are very collectible. You might try searching on the internet for the make and model number and see what you can find. Ebay is a good place to start. You might also want to Google model train auctions where the real buyers hang out.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Yes, train sets, especially in their original boxes, are very collectible. You might try searching on the internet for the make and model number and see what you can find. Ebay is a good place to start. You might also want to Google model train auctions where the real buyers hang out.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:05 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.
Or you might want to bring them to my store where we can go over them, put them on the track to test them and then get a true value from someone that has been buying model trains by the thousands for nearly 50 years. If you would like to do that please send me a message.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Jeremiah's an Italian Ice store just opened in Trailwinds next to Marcos.
Super we can go to Marcos for dinner and next door for dessert. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:06 AM
Veteran member

That's a good response. In the world of today, there is nobody to hire so ideally I would suggest a business he can do himself 100% at least starting out. If he's active there are opportunities out there. I used to have a client who would say don't bring me the new stuff as I have to explain it to everybody just give me the old stuff that sells and sells and sells. Similarly I would say there's always room for someone who checks your sprinklers, does your grass, details golf carts, where is a handyman,. If you are not looking for a physical job, then in reality there are tons of things to do on the Internet or as a service business, such as being a photographer, slash web design in the US anywhere from your home, even a personal shopper over the internet can be successful. And there are plenty of people making good money, walking dogs
Old 08-27-2021, 06:12 AM
Default Business ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3860 View Post
A friend of mine that retired too young is looking to relocate to the Villages and start some sort of business.

Does anyone have any ideas I can pass by him that would be good here? Something besides the obvious Golf Carts, Golf Clubs. There must be something out there that is missing here that even Amazon can't fill. Think outside the box. Thanks
I’m sure it costs too much for insurance, but I think a subscription driving service would be great, like a small van service in the villages. Also some kind of non medical companion service for lonely widowers (just companionship). I also think a technical help company where technicians come into your home for installation, instruction, and repair of technical devices like computers, WiFi routers, smart home devices, etc. I also believe there is a shortage of yard workers. For shops in the squares, I think missing are good bakeries and sweet shops!
Old 08-27-2021, 07:04 AM

Indoor pickleball courts.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:34 PM

Trader Joe's
Old 08-27-2021, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
Trader Joe's
Very surprised we have never gotten one.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:03 AM
Default home maintenance and repair business

I started a home maintenance and repair business and in a matter of weeks was overwhelmed with business. If you know what your doing and have good customer skills you will have all the work you want.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

The train store is now open in Wildwood in the old hobby shop across from City Hall and all is well. Feel free to stop in and look around it's like having a private vintage train show, the cabinets are full and price tags going on all items. If you have trains or a train collection you want to sell, this is the place.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	90919   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	90920  
Old 09-25-2021, 09:30 AM

Good ideas! I can actually see a need for both!
Old 09-25-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Stevens View Post
Good ideas! I can actually see a need for both!
148 posts……which one?

Tags
ideas, golf, villages, business, missing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.