If everybody keeps their hurricane supplies does that mean no rush next time?

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default If everybody keeps their hurricane supplies does that mean no rush next time?

If everybody just kept everything they rushed out to get for hurricane Irma preparations would the panic buying for the next one be eliminated?

Generators?
I would be curious how many are being returned this week.

I was just wondering out loud.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Nah. I ate up all my snacks and went thru all my Landshark, Bud, Blue Moon, and Kona longboard. Didn't get to the scotch!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Platinum member

I still have my generator from Katrina but I had to purchase brand new cans of Vienna sausage for Irma.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I still have my generator from Katrina but I had to purchase brand new cans of Vienna sausage for Irma.
I think I haven't had Vienna sausage in 50 years. What do they taste like? Chicken?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If everybody just kept everything they rushed out to get for hurricane Irma preparations would the panic buying for the next one be eliminated?

Generators?
I would be curious how many are being returned this week.

I was just wondering out loud.
I don't believe that panic buying will ever be eliminated:

Consumables will need to be replaced. The amount needed will depend upon what is left from this last storm and when the next storm occurs.

Theoretically, there should not be, but there will be, a run on batteries again just because people will hear they need them. I guess the ones in the "junk drawer" won't suffice even though they may be stamped with a 2019 or 2020 expiration date. (Side note: When I lived in Michigan, every year when the first winter storm was predicted, there was a run on snow shovels. Apparently snow shovels have expiration dates of which I was unaware).

Generators can't be returned if they had gas in them, but people will wait again and purchase when the next storm is coming. Not sure why if someone feels they need to have a generator that they don't purchase one before an emergency when inventory is "flush" and/or on sale.

How many people purchased tarps just in case they needed them? How many people wish they did? I would expect there will be a run on tarps if there is another storm that impacts us this year. If we are fortunate to not be impacted by a major storm, then tarps will go to the back of the shelf and forgotten until they are needed again.

There will be long lines at gas stations merely from the perspective that you can't keep your gas tank full all of the time.

Unfortunately panic buying IMHO may be, in part, an offshoot of "I don't need it now so why spend the money?"
Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Platinum member

Watch the classifieds for a rash of "hardly used generators"!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Many moons have passed since the last hurricane passed over The Villages. We have owned property in TV since March 2006 and no hurricanes to cause concern or talk about. Matthew last year was a little rain and wind. The groundhog day tornado was on February 2, 2007 and that was the last FEMA visit to TV. There was no warning for the unexpected tornado.

My point is Irma was the first real test of The Villages preparation and disaster management in a long long time. Hundreds of new Residents have likely never had a hurricane experience before. Many come from States that only see a hurricane on their television sets.

Because of the Villages location, it could be years before we see another Irma or another tornado like the Groundhog Day tornado of 2007. Or not!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Many moons have passed since the last hurricane passed over The Villages. We have owned property in TV since March 2006 and no hurricanes to cause concern or talk about. Matthew last year was a little rain and wind. The groundhog day tornado was on February 2, 2007 and that was the last FEMA visit to TV. There was no warning for the unexpected tornado.

My point is Irma was the first real test of The Villages preparation and disaster management in a long long time. Hundreds of new Residents have likely never had a hurricane experience before. Many come from States that only see a hurricane on their television sets.

Because of the Villages location, it could be years before we see another Irma or another tornado like the Groundhog Day tornado of 2007. Or not!
And by just simple comparison of the aftermath around the state, TV is the place to be.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post

Been here over three years. this was the first true test for a storm for us. I must say that the house held up well and the villages developer did a great job. Water in the drainage between the houses but never lost power and no flooding in the streets around us.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

Bottled water anyone, anyone, anyone......I'm floating cause we are drinking so much bottled water. But hey it's good for you!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

No rush next time...sounds good to me.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
About six weeks after the storm, a FEMA guy came by the house and asked if I had purchased a generator. Showed him the receipt and he reimbursed me the full purchase price. Had I bought a chainsaw, I would have gotten that money back, but I already had two of them when Katrina hit us.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Platinum member
Smile This Is The Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And by just simple comparison of the aftermath around the state, TV is the place to be.
Yes. That is what I have been telling people for a long time. The Villages area is where people run TO from the coastal areas.

Run from rising water. Shelter from rising winds.

The Mother of All Hurricanes just passed directly over The Villages with no deaths, no major damage to homes, and no significant flooding.

The Villages is the place to be.

Tags
hurricane, curious, generators, eliminated, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.