Going to be cold here in TV today and tomorrow.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Taltarzac
Default Going to be cold here in TV today and tomorrow.

cold comes to the Villages today and tomorrow. The Iceman cometh tonight with a low around 26 in some parts of the Villages maybe even colder. Glad this stuff does not stay long as it brings make memories of my winters in Minneapolis and Milwaukee.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Sage
Default Re: Going to be cold here in TV today and tomorrow.

If anyone has information on what shrubs and bushes need to be covered, and how best to do it, I'm sure there are lots of us who could benefit. I tried tying a large sheet around my Hibiscus, it blew off during the night. :dontknow:
Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
If anyone has information on what shrubs and bushes need to be covered, and how best to do it, I'm sure there are lots of us who could benefit. I tried tying a large sheet around my Hibiscus, it blew off during the night. :dontknow:
Is there a Garden Club in TV? Maybe call this contact person-- if there is one-- for pointers?

Found this post on TOTV after digging around a bit. No phone #s provided though? https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ic,1355.0.html
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Sage

Walmart told me they are sold out of shrub covers and they referred me to Fairfield Farms. I called there, and they sold out this morning, obviously to people much more organized than I am. :dontknow: They did tell me that a Hibiscus will survive if not protected but will look awful and lose a lot of foliage and blossoms. And will need to be severely cut back in the Spring. So ... I'm off to Walmart for large sheets and rope.

I'll speak to the weather department in Canada and tell them not to send down any more cold weather. ;D
Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

I'll take your cold in a heart beat.

No Fishing Off The Dock Today Thank You

BRRR!

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Dancing Thyme

Can't believe its That cold in TV. Sorry folks !! No swimming today.

BF, we have bouts of freezing here in SoCal but never have had to cover shrubs, not even roses but come spring there will be a lot of pruning that's needed. Can't remember even losing rose bushes so you should be okay. We've had Jan/Feb where we drop down below freezing but then the next day its 80. So should be no problem. Good luck! Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI
Can't believe its That cold in TV. Sorry folks !! No swimming today.

BF, we have bouts of freezing here in SoCal but never have had to cover shrubs, not even roses but come spring there will be a lot of pruning that's needed. Can't remember even losing rose bushes so you should be okay. We've had Jan/Feb where we drop down below freezing but then the next day its 80. So should be no problem. Good luck! Kath
Governor Crist declared a state of emergency because of the coming cold. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...l_tab01_layout

Still might find some brave souls swimming in the heated pools in TV.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Two of my neighbors came by to ask if I needed help picking fruit from my trees. At first they didn't want any but finally took some home with them. I did not even know them so that was real nice. Told them to come by next year and pick what they like.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

You know guys, it was one degree here in IL this morning! With the wind chill, it was 10 below. So, no complaining!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 PM

We New Englanders were out and about in TV today with just a sweatshirt on ... saw people with gloves on. I guess it's all about what you get used to.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Gold member

No question about that, the blood gets quite thin quite quickly!!!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Veteran member

As for the cold, I'd rather cover my hibiscus than uncover my car !
The Villages Florida
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Gold member

aln: Amen to that. This is our first winter in the "tropics". Lovin it.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Taltarzac

In today's The Villages Recreation News (January 3, 2008), they list 3 garden clubs-- "Garden Club", "Garden North Club", and "Gardening Club West".

There phone numbers listed for the first two. These are for the President of the Garden Club Jerry Van Loozen at (352) 259-9954 and Anne Lambrecht the contact for the Garden North Club. (352) 751-4380.

I would hope that these clubs would have people who knew about which plants to cover and which will survive this kind of cold.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Sage

Thank you everyone for the snowy pictures. It helps put our grumbling in persective. ;D

Danger of hard frost is over; and with that, another lesson learned. Every place that stocked Shrub Covers was sold out! Even flat sheets and clothes pins weren't available at Wal Mart. Since I had no old sheets, . I had to buy sheet sets and safety pins to fashion covers.

Fairfield Farms on CR301 said they would have a shipment of Shrub Covers in today (Thursday). Obviously too late for yesterday's hard frost. But I'll buy some and have them on hand for next time!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.