Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Gateway crime is a catchy phrase, but, is true.

The reality is once a habit is developed, it is easier to incorporate additional similar behaviors and make them habits. And it snowballs.

Motivational speakers have known this for decades. Repeatedly committing a crime makes it a habit, the same as repeated walking, or feeding the poor, etc, etc.

It doesn't matter if the behavior is positive or negative, repeating it will lead to it becoming a habit.
Many moons ago in a college course that I took the same was said about human behavior. Generally speaking you are spot on. Good behaviors breeds good behavior and bad behavior breeds bad behavior. Nothing complicated at all and makes common sense. Behavior can be changed but that can be complicated and difficult.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is a given that laws passed that are unrealistic will be ignored. This is the case in some speed limits in the Villages. This was highlighted to me when we drove by the entrance to the Bridgeport at Laurel Manor village. There is a speed limit posted at 5MPH? I wonder how many if any actually pay attention to it since most cars will not even slow to 5mph and I suspect this is also true to some Golf Carts? I wonder how many limits in The Villages are like this? When it happens people tend to ignore additional laws?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Many moons ago in a college course that I took the same was said about human behavior. Generally speaking you are spot on. Good behaviors breeds good behavior and bad behavior breeds bad behavior. Nothing complicated at all and makes common sense. Behavior can be changed but that can be complicated and difficult.
Thank you
Old 09-20-2021, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

Isn't it the era of "personal choice"?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:22 PM

No speed limits are observed in this place. Everyone is in a hurry to get someplace. Slow down. You won’t believe how bad an accident looks in a golf cart.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Help

Are there this many people in the Village's that are reasoning and understanding challenged. There may 4 or 5 respondents who understood the question while the others could not gather up enough reasoning powers to be able to understand it and answer the very basics of the question? The simple question is "do unrealistic laws cause a general disrespect for the law which results in more violations"? Come on now, there is no harm in saying I don't understand the question and going to a more simple one and working on it.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Half the reason there is so little respect for the law in general in 2021 is because we had an absurd 55mph national speed limit that nobody obeyed for the last quarter of the 20th century. We literally trained the population to ignore the law unless a cop was watching.

That 5 mph limit in a residential area is no more absurd than the 35 mph limit we have on four-lane divided parkways with limited access and no golf carts, like Morse, Bueno Vista, and El Camino, or the 45mph limit on long stretches of 466 and 466a. The most dangerous people on those roads are the ones who obstruct traffic by following the absurd speed limit.

My 30 mile Houston commute was less hectic than getting from Mulberry to Everglades! It would be nice if we didn't make it so difficult to enjoy ALL of the amenities we pay for, instead of just the ones we can reach by golf cart.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Half the reason there is so little respect for the law in general in 2021 is because we had an absurd 55mph national speed limit that nobody obeyed for the last quarter of the 20th century. We literally trained the population to ignore the law unless a cop was watching.

That 5 mph limit in a residential area is no more absurd than the 35 mph limit we have on four-lane divided parkways with limited access and no golf carts, like Morse, Bueno Vista, and El Camino, or the 45mph limit on long stretches of 466 and 466a. The most dangerous people on those roads are the ones who obstruct traffic by following the absurd speed limit.

My 30 mile Houston commute was less hectic than getting from Mulberry to Everglades! It would be nice if we didn't make it so difficult to enjoy ALL of the amenities we pay for, instead of just the ones we can reach by golf cart.
Towards the end of the 55mph era, I commuted about 35 miles via freeway into Sacramento (I left home a 3:30 am so no traffic to speak of). At the time, I drove a Toyota Tundra pickup with a wonderful 4.7 liter v8. I decided to test the mileage, so one day (the test was more complicated, this is a summary) I went the usual 70mph (by then no one was keeping to 55) and one day I stuck to 55 (not easy, took a lot of will power) The truck managed 16mpg at 70 and got 23mpg at 55. The time diff was 5 or 6 minutes. I think that over time I would have saved a lot of $ on gas and the time difference did not amount to much. I was surprised at the big difference, and I guess the point of the 55 was to try to save on fuel during the gas shortage. All that said, I sure don't want to go back to 55. Better to get an electric car!
Old 09-21-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
It is a given that laws passed that are unrealistic will be ignored. This is the case in some speed limits in the Villages. This was highlighted to me when we drove by the entrance to the Bridgeport at Laurel Manor village. There is a speed limit posted at 5MPH? I wonder how many if any actually pay attention to it since most cars will not even slow to 5mph and I suspect this is also true to some Golf Carts? I wonder how many limits in The Villages are like this? When it happens people tend to ignore additional laws?
Is this posted at the entry way, before the gate? We only have 54 houses in Laurel Valley. Two streets and a circle. Each street has only four houses on each side.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There is no pee in Lake Sumter.

Laurel Manor is a rec center.

Laurel Valley is a small village of 54 homes.

The race car driver moved out of our Village.

It must have worked.
I had to laugh at this post. Anyone who thinks that a retirement community looks like a race track…. LOL
Old 09-21-2021, 12:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Don't Understand

I don't understand the statement that said we only have 54 houses and two streets and a circle and 4 houses on each street and yes the sign is at the gate. How does that relate to what the speed is in the specific village? As I read the statement it has no relevant data regarding the speed limits on these streets? The layout of that specific village is interesting but the response is an example of understanding and staying on the subject.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Villagers are free and sovereign citizens. Observing speed limits or stop signs impinges on their constitutional rights.

Law don't work around here (sorry, I am watching Tombstone).
Old 09-21-2021, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
It is not just the Villages, the entire world is like that. Auto laws. I at one time had the laws from New York for your car. It was many years ago and I don't recall much. I do recall you can get a ticket for a pebble chip in your windshield. I do recall it is illegal to leave your car in the same parking spot for 24 hours. Usually there is some common sense.

Speeding ticket on a golf cart. Imagine a court hearing. Your honor I found the golf cart was traveling at an illegal 21 mph. The golf cart owner. I have an engineers drawing and a wind speed chart for the time of the ticket. My cart is properly set to do the LEGAL 20 mph due to the wind and a 1% grade in the road, my cart possibly hit the 21 mph even though it is set to do 20.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
One conclusion?
Enforcement works!
I find it amusing. Sort of third grade logic. They caught me, they don't catch everyone so I do not owe the penalty.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I don't understand the statement that said we only have 54 houses and two streets and a circle and 4 houses on each street and yes the sign is at the gate. How does that relate to what the speed is in the specific village? As I read the statement it has no relevant data regarding the speed limits on these streets? The layout of that specific village is interesting but the response is an example of understanding and staying on the subject.
Mr. Penn. Have you driven around our little village? There is hardly space to get up to much speed, was the point I was making. We did have a person who drove a little fast but she moved. (That was the reference to the race car driver) Most of us who live here are rule followers, in fact, I'd say that all of us who live here are rule followers. We have a very nice bunch of folks living at Bridgeport at Laurel Valley.

We do have folks who come in to look around and see what kind of place this is where the buffalo used to roam. They don't usually go fast either. We call them "Looky-Loo's".

Tags
limits, speed, 5mph, villages, attention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.