I'll take "Things that never happened" for $800, Alex.

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2021, 08:23 AM
Default I'll take "Things that never happened" for $800, Alex.

A Man Died After Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID, Family Says

An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

NPR mission statement
"The mission of NPR is to work in partnership with Member Stations to create a more informed public — one challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures."

They published this article despite this "NPR attempted without success to reach the DeMonia family." and this

"A Cullman Regional Medical Center spokesperson, who declined to give specifics of Ray DeMonia's case, citing privacy concerns, confirmed to NPR that he was transferred from the hospital but said the reason was that he required "a higher level of specialized care not available" there."
#journalism
Old 09-14-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holger danske View Post
A Man Died After Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID, Family Says

An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

NPR mission statement
"The mission of NPR is to work in partnership with Member Stations to create a more informed public — one challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures."

They published this article despite this "NPR attempted without success to reach the DeMonia family." and this

"A Cullman Regional Medical Center spokesperson, who declined to give specifics of Ray DeMonia's case, citing privacy concerns, confirmed to NPR that he was transferred from the hospital but said the reason was that he required "a higher level of specialized care not available" there."
#journalism
What thing did not happen? Did he not die? Was he not transferred out of state? Did the hospital that transferred him not look to the in-state hospitals first? What thing did not happen?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Default read the headline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What thing did not happen? Did he not die? Was he not transferred out of state? Did the hospital that transferred him not look to the in-state hospitals first? What thing did not happen?
Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID,
Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 AM

Here is his obituary. I doubt he went to 43 hospitals but rather contacted 43 in 3 states as this obituary states. Ray DeMonia Obituary - Cullman, AL I am assuming this is an vax anti-vax issue. The government can compel to vaccinate. I was fully vaccinated. My reluctant choice but did it and was quite sick with 2nd dose. I don’t know what the right thing to do is, but it is alarming that we can be compelled to vaccinate. Perhaps MMR DPT didn’t have the same alarming community response to vaccination. Perhaps the situation was different and those viruses weren’t considered manmade.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID,
How many was he turned away from? Where did you, sitting here in Florida, get the information that contradicts what was reported by the family and the hospital in Alabama?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaF View Post
Here is his obituary. I doubt he went to 43 hospitals but rather contacted 43 in 3 states as this obituary states. Ray DeMonia Obituary - Cullman, AL I am assuming this is an vax anti-vax issue. The government can compel to vaccinate. I was fully vaccinated. My reluctant choice but did it and was quite sick with 2nd dose. I don’t know what the right thing to do is, but it is alarming that we can be compelled to vaccinate. Perhaps MMR DPT didn’t have the same alarming community response to vaccination. Perhaps the situation was different and those viruses weren’t considered manmade.
No. It's a shoddy journalism issue. NPR is a news source relied on by many people. Yet they chose to run an article without adequate investigation to drive a certain agenda. Where in the article does it say the family contacted 43 hospitals but were turned away because of lack of space. The only hospital contacted said he needed specialized care not available there. I'm just calling BS on NPR. Don't turn it into a vax issue.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
How many was he turned away from? Where did you, sitting here in Florida, get the information that contradicts what was reported by the family and the hospital in Alabama?
Yup, you must be right because we read it on the internet.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
No. It's a shoddy journalism issue. NPR is a news source relied on by many people. Yet they chose to run an article without adequate investigation to drive a certain agenda. Where in the article does it say the family contacted 43 hospitals but were turned away because of lack of space. The only hospital contacted said he needed specialized care not available there. I'm just calling BS on NPR. Don't turn it into a vax issue.
I admit I read the headline this morning and read no further. I was immediately skeptical about the facts.

I have noted possibly three articles in the last six months with similarly difficult to believe stories from NPR which in the past I had always depended on for good sourcing and careful checking.

I join the throngs of people who wonder, "Just who can be believed, anymore".

I still trust the CDC and the FDA but it has been very difficult to keep up with an ever changing situation and them getting all of the information they need.

I am tired boss.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Definitely, the one minute I spent finding his obituary points to the shoddy journalism. I am saying that the media turned this into a vax issue by supplying an article inciting fear in the general public by not getting vaccinated, you may have a tough time finding an ER.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
*I* must be right? I'm simply asking you to do at least as much as the shoddy journalists at NPR. They contacted the hospital, attempted to contact the family, looked into the claims of over-capacity ICUs, and referenced both the obituary and another article that reported similar information. You claim the information is wrong but provide no reason at all why you believe that to be the case.

It all might be a made up story, that happens to often these days, but so far we have two news sources, the hospital, the family, Johns Hopkins University, and the head of the Alabama Dept. of Public Health with information that supports the story.

On the other hand, I did read a thread where a poster named holger danske says it didn't happen.
For heaven's sake, man, what more do you need?
Old 09-14-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Shut this thread down......no valuable information just someone wanting to mix it up! IMHO!
Old 09-14-2021, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Shut this thread down......no valuable information just someone wanting to mix it up! IMHO!
Yep. The pointless pot stirring bait threads seem to be endless these days.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-14-2021, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Yep. My official opinion on this thread is "no comment"
Old 09-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaF View Post
Definitely, the one minute I spent finding his obituary points to the shoddy journalism. I am saying that the media turned this into a vax issue by supplying an article inciting fear in the general public by not getting vaccinated, you may have a tough time finding an ER.
You may have a hard time finding an ICU bed if you have a heart attack and all the facilities are in use. Alabama population only has a 40% of both shots. It's not news unless it supports the OP’s beliefs.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Where in the article does it say the family contacted 43 hospitals but were turned away because of lack of space.
I'm wondering if you actually read the article you linked??? Here's what it says, all the way down in the third paragraph: "Due to COVID 19, CRMC emergency staff contacted 43 hospitals in 3 states in search of a Cardiac ICU bed and finally located one in Meridian, MS.," the last paragraph of DeMonia's obituary reads, referring to the Cullman Regional Medical Center."
Closed Thread

Tags
npr, mission, family, give, declined

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.