I'll take "Things that never happened" for $800, Alex.

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I admit I read the headline this morning and read no further. I was immediately skeptical about the facts.

I have noted possibly three articles in the last six months with similarly difficult to believe stories from NPR which in the past I had always depended on for good sourcing and careful checking.

I join the throngs of people who wonder, "Just who can be believed, anymore".

I still trust the CDC and the FDA but it has been very difficult to keep up with an ever changing situation and them getting all of the information they need.

I am tired boss.
And the good thing is, those difficult to believe stories from NPR are being funded by your tax dollars.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Shut this thread down......no valuable information just someone wanting to mix it up! IMHO!
indeed. there are already endless number of threads on covid, --just pick one & carry on
Old 09-14-2021, 11:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
I'm wondering if you actually read the article you linked??? Here's what it says, all the way down in the third paragraph: "Due to COVID 19, CRMC emergency staff contacted 43 hospitals in 3 states in search of a Cardiac ICU bed and finally located one in Meridian, MS.," the last paragraph of DeMonia's obituary reads, referring to the Cullman Regional Medical Center."
Thank you for also taking the time and effort to actually read the link. While no entity or news source is 100% perfect, if it comes down to believing the vast majority of what comes from Fox/AON/Newsmax/Etc. or NPR - I'll take NPR for $10K Alex.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holger danske View Post
A Man Died After Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID, Family Says

An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

#journalism
May I summarize? Holger comes on TOTV and starts a thread entitled

I'll take "Things that never happened" for $800, Alex. where he says the NPR story is made up, it never happened because ..reasons..

Several people fact check Holger and find, amazingly, that the NPR story is fully supported by the dead person's obituary and the state Health Dept.

The facts seem to be that the man presented to an ER in a hospital that could not manage his heart attack. The ER called 43 hospitals before they finally found one that would accept him as a patient, and he was transferred. He died in that out of state hospital from his heart attack. Had there been a closer place with an open ICU or CCU bed perhaps he lives, perhaps not. But the NPR story, the obituary and the other evidence is that the events as reported actually happened.

I am waiting for Holger to return and explain why he is attacking NPR, which in this case was 100% reliable, but is leaving his reliability in serious question by not retracting his assertion or further documenting why he believes he is right that this never happened. I can report that NPR does make mistakes, and when they are aware of them they make corrections. Will Holger do the same??
Old 09-14-2021, 12:51 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
May I summarize? Holger comes on TOTV and starts a thread entitled

I'll take "Things that never happened" for $800, Alex. where he says the NPR story is made up, it never happened because ..reasons..

Several people fact check Holger and find, amazingly, that the NPR story is fully supported by the dead person's obituary and the state Health Dept.

The facts seem to be that the man presented to an ER in a hospital that could not manage his heart attack. The ER called 43 hospitals before they finally found one that would accept him as a patient, and he was transferred. He died in that out of state hospital from his heart attack. Had there been a closer place with an open ICU or CCU bed perhaps he lives, perhaps not. But the NPR story, the obituary and the other evidence is that the events as reported actually happened.

I am waiting for Holger to return and explain why he is attacking NPR, which in this case was 100% reliable, but is leaving his reliability in serious question by not retracting his assertion or further documenting why he believes he is right that this never happened. I can report that NPR does make mistakes, and when they are aware of them they make corrections. Will Holger do the same??

"...explain why he is attacking NPR..."

With all due respect, I don't think there are too many who don't know the real answer to that.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
And the good thing is, those difficult to believe stories from NPR are being funded by your tax dollars.
And that "difficult to believe story" is seemingly true, amazing.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
A Man Died After Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID, Family Says

An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

NPR mission statement
"The mission of NPR is to work in partnership with Member Stations to create a more informed public — one challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures."

They published this article despite this "NPR attempted without success to reach the DeMonia family." and this

"A Cullman Regional Medical Center spokesperson, who declined to give specifics of Ray DeMonia's case, citing privacy concerns, confirmed to NPR that he was transferred from the hospital but said the reason was that he required "a higher level of specialized care not available" there."
#journalism
We demand, we expect perfection. Reality is perfection does not exist. Enough facilities to handle the current expanded load. Yes, it is money. We would then object to the high cost of medical care.

He required a higher level of specialized care. They cannot say, based on his coverage to treat him will be a loss.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Well, I now get most of my news from Stephen Colbert.

Boomer
Old 09-14-2021, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post

Yes we had to save big bird.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

More fear mongering , if you are with weakened immunity protect yourself , quit posting isolated cases of folks that did not protect themselves.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:09 AM

CBS last night reported a young boy with appendicitis waited hours before being seen because all he’d were taken by COVID patients. Father confirmed they nearly list their son.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:41 AM
Veteran member

Npr = national propaganda reporting
Old 09-15-2021, 06:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:

NPR mission statement
"The mission of NPR is to work in partnership with Member Stations to create a more informed public — one challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures."

They published this article despite this "NPR attempted without success to reach the DeMonia family." and this

"A Cullman Regional Medical Center spokesperson, who declined to give specifics of Ray DeMonia's case, citing privacy concerns, confirmed to NPR that he was transferred from the hospital but said the reason was that he required "a higher level of specialized care not available" there."
#journalism
So? He wasnt turned away from ICUs as you say. The hospital was at capacity plus they didnt have the level of care he needed. I dont understand the reason to repost this article
Old 09-15-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:

NPR mission statement

#journalism
Only 43??
Old 09-15-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
No. It's a shoddy journalism issue. NPR is a news source relied on by many people. Yet they chose to run an article without adequate investigation to drive a certain agenda. Where in the article does it say the family contacted 43 hospitals but were turned away because of lack of space. The only hospital contacted said he needed specialized care not available there. I'm just calling BS on NPR. Don't turn it into a vax issue.
It is shoddy journalism and it’s not the first time. My husband and I worked for the government and were on the inside of many criminal cases. The local NPR in So Cal lied regularly and would use unnecessary adjectives to describe agencies they didn’t like. For example, “the all-too-powerful prison guard’s Union”. How about “the prison guards union voted today to request stab vests inside of every level of prison”.?
Closed Thread

Tags
npr, mission, family, give, declined

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.