I'll take "Things that never happened" for $800, Alex.

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2021, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Omg

We have brains so we may filter all this garbage . It was a click bait title . But the truth is we do have many hospitals at near capacity .
Old 09-15-2021, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

I don't know if we'll ever figure this out, but one thing that I have always felt was wrong, and this pandemic has reenforced for me, is the idea that we have these huge buildings, i.e. hospitals, where we send, treat, and concentrate, infectious people, and then we send into these same buildings, patients and care providers who aren't sick or infectious.
If I need a new knee, or I've been in a car accident, or I'm having a heart attack, why am I being sent to a building full of infected people? If I work as a surgeon or nurse or radiographic technician, why am a working in building full of infected, and infectious people?
I'm sure the answer would be "well, there is an economy of scale here. We can use the same billing and business staff." A stock answer but I wonder if that really is even true when weighed against the cost of cross-transmission of infectious organisms from the treatment of infected people to non-infected people in the current health care model.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts
Default Infectious disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I don't know if we'll ever figure this out, but one thing that I have always felt was wrong, and this pandemic has reenforced for me, is the idea that we have these huge buildings, i.e. hospitals, where we send, treat, and concentrate, infectious people, and then we send into these same buildings, patients and care providers who aren't sick or infectious.
If I need a new knee, or I've been in a car accident, or I'm having a heart attack, why am I being sent to a building full of infected people? If I work as a surgeon or nurse or radiographic technician, why am a working in building full of infected, and infectious people?
I'm sure the answer would be "well, there is an economy of scale here. We can use the same billing and business staff." A stock answer but I wonder if that really is even true when weighed against the cost of cross-transmission of infectious organisms from the treatment of infected people to non-infected people in the current health care model.
Are you proposing a hospital for infectious disease, one for heart attacks, one for car accidents? You cannot possibly be serious.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holger danske View Post
Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID,
Capacity doesn’t necessarily mean the hospital is full. It also includes the hospital’s ability to serve patient’s based on the number of staff. And as we all know there is a shortage of staff and it’s only getting worse. But the media sure loves to push the panic button in those who swallow their pill.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:37 AM
Default It is so simple

Quote:
a man died after being turned away from 43 icus at capacity due to covid, family says

an alabama man dies after being turned away from 43 hospitals at capacity : Coronavirus updates : Npr

npr mission statement
"the mission of npr is to work in partnership with member stations to create a more informed public — one challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures."

they published this article despite this "npr attempted without success to reach the demonia family." and this

"a cullman regional medical center spokesperson, who declined to give specifics of ray demonia's case, citing privacy concerns, confirmed to npr that he was transferred from the hospital but said the reason was that he required "a higher level of specialized care not available" there."
#journalism
take all the non vaxers with covid , send them to a hospital with non vaxxed staff for treatment. Take all kids whose parents do not want them to wear a mask and send them to a school where the staff are not vaxxed. Then leave us sensible folk alone to try and survive these people"s total disregard for anyone who cares about their fellow man.

Btw you can send anti vaxxers the medicals bills for spreading covid.

Then perhaps the insurance companies will finally come to their senses and decided if you are not vaxxed that you should pay a higher premium.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I don't know if we'll ever figure this out, but one thing that I have always felt was wrong, and this pandemic has reenforced for me, is the idea that we have these huge buildings, i.e. hospitals, where we send, treat, and concentrate, infectious people, and then we send into these same buildings, patients and care providers who aren't sick or infectious. ....
Throughout the country, there are some "surgical hospitals" where patients are not ill or contagious and there only for surgical procedures. My husband had his back surgery at one of these in another state. The facility was co-owned by a group of surgeons (I don't know the exact financial arrangements or whether some non-owner physicians could pay for privileges, etc.) who would generally alternate their procedures between this surgical hospital (for low-risk patients) and a more traditional hospital for surgeries on their higher-risk patients. The experience at this surgical facility was much less stressful than the usual hospital stay.

Last edited by D.Bolen; 09-15-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:44 AM

fear monger .....troll alert
Old 09-15-2021, 08:52 AM

Bs!!!
Old 09-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Are you proposing a hospital for infectious disease, one for heart attacks, one for car accidents? You cannot possibly be serious.
Not a separate facility for car accidents and heart attacks. That would be unnecessary. I'm suggesting a paradigm shift that separates infectious disease from non-infectious medical procedures. This would reduce drastically the iatrogenic source of infectious disease spread.
And yes, I'm deadly serious.
In the long run it would save lives and money.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnhead View Post
It is shoddy journalism and it’s not the first time. My husband and I worked for the government and were on the inside of many criminal cases. The local NPR in So Cal lied regularly and would use unnecessary adjectives to describe agencies they didn’t like. For example, “the all-too-powerful prison guard’s Union”. How about “the prison guards union voted today to request stab vests inside of every level of prison”.?
Where exactly is the shoddy journalism, pray tell? It seems to be that the actual thing that never happened is the OP (and many others that have replied here) even bothering to READ the article. Allow me to help with a couple of quotes: "Due to COVID 19, CRMC emergency staff contacted 43 hospitals in 3 states in search of a Cardiac ICU bed and finally located one in Meridian, MS.,". And then this: "DeMonia's daughter, Raven DeMonia, told The Washington Post that it was "shocking" when the hospital told the family there were no ICU beds anywhere near Cullman, a town of about 16,000 some 50 miles north of Birmingham."

The entire article, updated 9/14/21, is here: An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR
Old 09-15-2021, 10:11 AM

My cousin called and said he heard that FOX News just reported that a fleet of over 40 refrigerated portable morgues and mobile crematoriums are headed from New Jersey to Florida!

Our neighbor said he heard the local hospital is stacking dozens of bodies in closets because they are out of room.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:47 AM
Default Relative

Quote:
A Man Died After Being Turned Away From 43 ICUs At Capacity Due To COVID, Family Says

An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

NPR mission statement
"The mission of NPR is to work in partnership with Member Stations to create a more informed public — one challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas and cultures."

They published this article despite this "NPR attempted without success to reach the DeMonia family." and this

"A Cullman Regional Medical Center spokesperson, who declined to give specifics of Ray DeMonia's case, citing privacy concerns, confirmed to NPR that he was transferred from the hospital but said the reason was that he required "a higher level of specialized care not available" there."
#journalism
One of the networks had his family on. They are trying to get the word out how bad it is. The doctor did contact 43 hospitals for an open ICU bed. I have a doctor, nurse, and other medical professionals in my family. It is that bad.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
Where exactly is the shoddy journalism, pray tell? It seems to be that the actual thing that never happened is the OP (and many others that have replied here) even bothering to READ the article. Allow me to help with a couple of quotes: "Due to COVID 19, CRMC emergency staff contacted 43 hospitals in 3 states in search of a Cardiac ICU bed and finally located one in Meridian, MS.,". And then this: "DeMonia's daughter, Raven DeMonia, told The Washington Post that it was "shocking" when the hospital told the family there were no ICU beds anywhere near Cullman, a town of about 16,000 some 50 miles north of Birmingham."

The entire article, updated 9/14/21, is here: An Alabama Man Dies After Being Turned Away From 43 Hospitals At Capacity : Coronavirus Updates : NPR
As the OP I take exception to your twice posted accusation that I did not read the NPR
article. Not only did I read it but I read the WP article on which it was based and Ray's obit as well as other articles on Cullman and Rush Hospital.
From the WP article I learned that Ray's daughter who was quoted was Jeopardy fan hence the not so clever reference in my post's title to Jeopardy.

I also notice some discrepancies between the two, for example- NPR article "DeMonia's daughter, Raven DeMonia, told The Washington Post that it was "shocking" when the hospital told the family there were no ICU beds anywhere near Cullman, a town of about 16,000 some 50 miles north of Birmingham.” and the WP article “Raven DeMonia, his daughter, told The Washington Post on Sunday that it was “shocking” when the family was told that dozens of ICUs were unable to treat her father.
Now you may feel that is a distinction without a difference but I do not. I believe it was changed to subtly influence readers to buy the premise of their story.

Nowhere in either article does it say Cullman had no ICU beds available or that Ray was denied one there. The hospital spokesperson merely confirmed he was a patient there and that “The level of care he required was not available at Cullman Regional.” (Sort of sounds like the Villages Hospital that routinely airlifts patients to Leesburg) I think that neither article mentioning whether Ray was in an ICU bed or a regular bed is telling. If he was denied an ICU bed it would have been included at it would fit the agenda.
WP article mentions a “specialized cardiac ICU bed” was needed. Rush Hospital in Meridien has a a facility called The Specialty Hospital of Meridian … a 49 bed facility providing acute-level care for patients suffering from medically complex illnesses. Sort of fits Ray’s profile considering he had a stroke in 2020 requiring hospitalization in Birmingham some 50 miles from Cullman.
Yes his obit says "Due to covid-19....." but placement of any information in any obit does not rise to the level requiring journalistic standards and an article using such info is merely bootstrapping to support their argument. I notice that neither the hospital nor the other authorities quoted concede that this particular transfer was caused by overcrowding.
So in sum, I did read the articles, I used a not so clever title gleaned from them and I found their headlines and the tenor of the article agenda driven and to constitute shoddy journalism.
Feel free to swallow what you will.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
What a thought provoking post. I applaud this thinking. I think some have tried versions of this with outpatient buildings and separate facilities at large teaching institutions for pediatric diagnostics....etc. buildings and units that are attached to excellent hospitals, but this never was needed as badly as it is now.

This is a new problem. And, I hope that it will be a transient situation. I do hope that people who will NOT get vaccinated, get treated and live. But one way or another, it sadly seems that it will get better, get done or do us all in eventually.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodyssey View Post
My cousin called and said he heard that FOX News just reported that a fleet of over 40 refrigerated portable morgues and mobile crematoriums are headed from New Jersey to Florida!

Our neighbor said he heard the local hospital is stacking dozens of bodies in closets because they are out of room.
And my mailman's babysitter's cousin's plumber reported seeing Elvis yesterday
Closed Thread

Tags
npr, mission, family, give, declined

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.