Bobcat in The Village of Charlotte today

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Default Bobcat in The Village of Charlotte today

My husband and I live in Lauren Villas in The Village of Charlotte. This morning between 6-6:30 he let one of our dogs and cat out into the yard from the lanai. He returned indoors to make a cup of coffee and his dog started barking profusely...He ran out to to find the cat cowering under a chair and the dog barking at something in the yard. It was a bobcat and it jumped on top of the wall and continued running till he could no longer see it. We, who have villas , bought them because we have pets and it gives them the freedom of going in and out at will. We learned a valuable lessen this morning...Just beware, especially in the early hours of the morning, whether you do what we do or are out walking your pet early in the morning. This could have ended badly for both of our animals.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Platinum member

You really shouldn't let them out unattended as you found out. There are also eagles and hawks. People in villas in our area have lost cats that way.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=sharoni;1008122]My husband and I live in Lauren Villas in The Village of Charlotte. This morning between 6-6:30 he let one of our dogs and cat out into the yard from the lanai. ......He ran out to to find the cat cowering under a chair and the dog barking at something in the yard. It was a bobcat. /QUOTE]

That must have been quite a shock, to see a bobcat! People have also seen coyotes on villa walls.
Thanks for posting as many people feel secure in villas and aren't aware that there are hazards.
As Raynan said, pets should be supervised - there are also eagles and hawks that will pick up a cat or a small dog.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:53 PM

Also we have foxs in Glenbrook.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
You really shouldn't let them out unattended as you found out. There are also eagles and hawks. People in villas in our area have lost cats that way.
i know SEVERAL people who have lost small dogs and cats to Hawks, foxes and eagles... if u love your pets PLEASE accompany them when they go out...
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Holy smokes! Bobcats and foxes? What should one do if a wild animal is encountered early in the morning while walking the dog(s)?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

I see the same coyote on golf course all day long
Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Coyote encounters:

Never feed coyotes—it is illegal to feed coyotes in most places. Feeding endangers your family and neighbors as it lures coyotes into neighborhoods.

Keep unattended cats and dogs indoors or in completely enclosed runs, especially at night, and do not assume that a fence will keep a coyote out of your back yard.

Accompany your leashed pet outside. Make sure you turn on lights if it is dark to check your back yard for unexpected wildlife.Keep dogs on short leashes while walking outside; the Division of Wildlife recommends a leash no longer than 6 feet.

Leave noisemakers on hand to scare away coyotes that may enter your yard, such as whistles and horns.

Don't run away or turn your back on a coyote.Do not allow a coyote to get in between you and your pet.

Yell, clap hands, blow a whistle and try to make yourself look larger if you have a close encounter with a coyote.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Sage

A few years ago, my nephew and his wife were adopting a cat in Costa Mesa, CA. They were asked if it would be a strictly indoor cat and they said no, they had a 10 foot masonry wall around their yard and wanted to let the cat play in the yard. They were told that the cat had to be an indoor cat - coyotes can jump a 12 ft high wall!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 AM

I do worry about the hawks and eagles as we have a Jack Russell Terrier (14lbs). Whenever I see large birds circling above, I bring him back in the house. We are early risers and I always take him out on a short leash. I feel like "smother mother" but I'd rather be safe than sorry! Sometimes we're out during the middle of the night too....very scary that there are so many different wild animals around TV.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Sage
Default Good warning & good advice re early morning hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoni View Post
My husband and I live in Lauren Villas in The Village of Charlotte. This morning between 6-6:30 he let one of our dogs and cat out into the yard from the lanai. He returned indoors to make a cup of coffee and his dog started barking profusely...He ran out to to find the cat cowering under a chair and the dog barking at something in the yard. It was a bobcat and it jumped on top of the wall and continued running till he could no longer see it. We, who have villas , bought them because we have pets and it gives them the freedom of going in and out at will. We learned a valuable lessen this morning...Just beware, especially in the early hours of the morning, whether you do what we do or are out walking your pet early in the morning. This could have ended badly for both of our animals.

Good warning & good advice re early morning hours.....

Bobcats, like coyotes (which we ourselves saw in The Villages) are all over the U.S.

We are aware (from folks in T.V. telling us) that coyotes have been seen on the courtyard walls; thus I might assume that bobcats would likely also be able to jump up as well......

Our daughter & son in law have seen many bobcats on their ten acres in Vermont; plus bear & many other wild critters. I tend to worry for their children's sake as these wild animals have attacked, killed & eaten their chickens, which they keep for eggs. Traumatic enough for the kids.

These bobcats, etc. come out of a heavily wooded forest, which is what their ten acres is comprised of...........however, they have been known to walk down regular town streets & roads.

Since our daughter is an early riser , she has confronted the bobcats right outside their front door & off their back deck..........ditto for bear, etc. Below link will show pic of average bobcat.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/bobcat/

BOBCAT PICTURES & BOBCAT FACTS FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

Below from National Geographic:

"Bobcats are elusive and nocturnal, so they are rarely spotted by humans. Although they are seldom seen, they roam throughout much of North America and adapt well to such diverse habitats as forests, swamps, deserts, and even suburban areas.

Bobcats, sometimes called wildcats, are roughly twice as big as the average housecat. They have long legs, large paws, and tufted ears similar to those of their larger relative, the Canada lynx. Most bobcats are brown or brownish red with a white underbelly and short, black-tipped tail. The cat is named for its tail, which appears to be cut or "bobbed."

Fierce hunters, bobcats can kill prey much bigger than themselves, but usually eat rabbits, birds, mice, squirrels, and other smaller game. The bobcat hunts by stealth, but delivers a deathblow with a leaping pounce that can cover 10 feet (3 meters).

Bobcats are solitary animals. Females choose a secluded den to raise a litter of one to six young kittens, which will remain with their mother for 9 to 12 months. During this time they will learn to hunt before setting out on their own.

In some areas, bobcats are still trapped for their soft, spotted fur. North American populations are believed to be quite large, with perhaps as many as one million cats in the United States alone."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.