I’m Over It!

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
When people call others “entitled” in a pejorative way these days, what they often mean is this: “believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.” The important word here is “inherently.” We all know people who ACT as if doing something is their “God-given right” (“endowed by their creator”), that is, inherent right, a right with which one is born.

But originally, many centuries ago, the word meant one “held the title” to something. If you held the title to a piece of property, you were “entitled.” It was yours by legal right! If someone borrowed money from you and gave you a contract promising to repay you, you were “entitled” to that money.

If you own a home in The Villages, you are legally “entitled” to live there. If you pay your amenities fees, you are “entitled” to do certain things that outsiders are NOT entitled to do, such as use the executive golf courses or swim in the pools. (Apart from the current emergency.) If you pay for special privileges at the country clubs, you are “entitled” to them. If you paid money to the Social Security Administration for decades, you are “entitled” to receive your Social Security check. If you are 65 or older and a U.S. citizen, you are legally “entitled” to receive Medicare. If you put aside money in your retirement fund for decades, you are “entitled” to spend that money after you retire. It is your legal right.

Social Security and Medicare, and also other programs like Medicaid, and welfare payments of various kinds, are classified by the government as “entitlements” because if one meets the requirements, one has the legal right to receive them, and the government has the legal responsibility to pay them. Some of these entitlements are partly covered by what one has contributed, and some are not—they are gifts, but gifts to which people are “entitled” by law.

So yes, if you live in The Villages and own your home and pay your dues (that is, what is DUE to someone if you want to enjoy that to which you are entitled), then you ARE “entitled.” You are ENTITLED to it, in the good sense of the word, and you are free to enjoy it without guilt. Likewise, people on welfare are also “entitled,” because they are legally “entitled” to the services and payments they receive.

You DESERVE the treatment to which you are “entitled”. Name it and claim it! Just don’t prance around acting as if you are INHERENTLY “entitled” to special treatment. That offends almost everyone. With “entitlements” come duties. Wealthy people who come from old money (few if any in The Villages) are taught from childhood that quiet politeness, courtesy, grace, cordiality, modesty, kindness, respect, are what one gives or shows to avoid being called “entitled” in the bad sense of the term.
You had me all the way, TRULY, and I was ready to compliment you on an informative post (most of it still is ) until you wrote the following:

Social Security and Medicare, and also other programs like Medicaid, and welfare payments of various kinds, are classified by the government as “entitlements” because if one meets the requirements, one has the legal right to receive them, and the government has the legal responsibility to pay them. Some of these entitlements are partly covered by what one has contributed, and some are not—they are gifts, but gifts to which people are “entitled” by law.

Many Americans (I limit it to Americans because our form of government is a Constitutional Republic and not a European "Social Democracy"), I believe, feel that helping those in need should be (as it once was) a function of charitable organizations, not a function of government. We all know this is fodder for a different discussion BUT, being entitled to monies from the public treasury, solely because one belongs to a certain class or socio-economic group is "quite a stretch" … except in the mind of a politician. The other programs you mention are "entitlements" due to the contributions of the entitled individuals. "Gifts", being considered as entitlements, is, once again, "quite a stretch."

ENTITLED | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
ENTITLED | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
entitled meaning: 1. feeling that you have the right to do or have what you want without having to work for it or….

Fred
Old 04-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many would think as I did, that the poster was wondering if the person who got sick lived on his street or the one over and wondered if he or his wife might have been exposed before we all knew what we know now. People are worried. I don't think the OP was wondering where the case was out of meanness, or pointing the person out like they were a "leper" but just wondering if they came to his woodworking shop or his wife's painting class. People are scared and this is just part of it. Wondering when it will happen to us or our near neighbors and friends. Boomer I know you value anonymity but many of us are not afraid to say who they are. If we got it, I would tell I had it and where I lived. Just out of information and kindness.
But, Gracie, that would be your choice — like Chris Cuomo broadcasting from quarantine in his basement and sharing his experience with anybody who wants to watch.

He is in the position to reach a lot of people to give more information in hope of getting the attention of those who think it cannot happen to them or if it does it will be no big deal.

His symptoms are hellish, even though he is relatively young and healthy.

You state you would be very open, too, motivated to respond by going public, to be kind as a benefit to others, and with an attempt to educate. Like I said — your choice.

I think anyone diagnosed has the choice as an individual as to whether to go public or not. BUT that is very different from expecting home addresses to be published for everyone to see. Not everyone would be kind in their attitudes toward the sick. It could get so intrusive and the fallout could grow arms and legs — the spectrum of human nature being what it is.

Back in Ohio, some areas are publishing by zip code, with the names of the suburbs, but that’s it. I have no problem with that generalized info. But for an outside source to publish someone’s actual address is just plain wrong.

The right to choose to be public or private is built in to our wiring. I am certainly not a hermit, nor am I an introvert. But like most posters on TOTV, I do prefer to remain private about who I really am.

I am not remaining private so that I can be mean. Sometimes I can get a little sassy, but that is rare, and pretty gentle. It is usually because I think someone is being condescending or getting caught up in that “Us vs. Them” mentality that is so destructive and is permeating our country. But I would likely sass that person face-to-face, too, and/or choose not be around them.

Oh well, I gotta be me and you gotta be you.

Stay well and sensible please — all of you.

Sincerely,
Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-03-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
WOW, way to throw the guilt around!!!! Bet you were raised Catholic....
I can relate to that!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
It has more to do with the behavior then what's posted on here. As we grow, it will, most likely, get worse. The foursome standing next too each other, the people that can't count in the swimming pools, the battle over TP in the paper isle, the person that crowds you in a check out line because they are in a hurry...lot of examples where people's behavior identifies who they are, so it's not name calling, it's identifying behavior and previous posts have identified alternatives but, it's still the same. Pass the salt
Yes -- if the shoe fits wear it
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Smile

You are entitled to your own opinions
Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunmyer View Post
What exactly are the guidelines? Aren’t they stay 6 feet away from someone else, wash your hands.
Also.....do NOT touch your face with unwashed hands. I have seen some folks who can not count off 6 feet to save their lives. I had one guy come up behind me and brush my arm with his arm. What the hell?????
Old 04-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Default Follow the Rules

First it was cover your mouth when you cough , then it was 3ft social separation , now it is 6 ft. So if the guide lines are always moving how serious are they. Today the media started to quote some doctor who said 26ft could be the right distance .

The Daily Sun averages about 90 to 110 Obituaries a month so let us say 1400 people a year or 1.2% of the population and that is accepted without a shutdown of your town .

All you snowflake old ladies amaze me , The great community and people I have been around over the last 5 years must have all vanished .

Now I truly understand the group think that gave us the Germany and Italy of WWII and the great China Red March of Mao and so many more.

Have a Happy Easter at our churches next week
Old 04-03-2020, 09:40 PM

Non follower!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:41 PM

Non-abider! If that is such a word.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONS999 View Post
First it was cover your mouth when you cough , then it was 3ft social separation , now it is 6 ft. So if the guide lines are always moving how serious are they. Today the media started to quote some doctor who said 26ft could be the right distance .

The Daily Sun averages about 90 to 110 Obituaries a month so let us say 1400 people a year or 1.2% of the population and that is accepted without a shutdown of your town .

All you snowflake old ladies amaze me , The great community and people I have been around over the last 5 years must have all vanished .

Now I truly understand the group think that gave us the Germany and Italy of WWII and the great China Red March of Mao and so many more.

Have a Happy Easter at our churches next week
WELL SPOKEN

Fred
Old 04-03-2020, 11:45 PM

I believe when I say it about us Villagers, it is because we don’t think we have to do what is asked or required. Especially regarding social distancing. Hence no pools, pickleball, tennis etc any outdoor activities. If we don’t watch ourselves at golf that will close down too. Be careful, safe and considerate.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:38 AM

Exactly right
Old 04-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacDQ View Post
I believe most of us worked hard over the last fifty years. Put our children through college, saved and invested four the future. If that makes me entitled then I’m proud to embrace that banner.
😎
I agree-- my wife and I are both the children of the children of the great depression . We inherited "Waste not want not", Save for a rainy day, "Keep the wolf from the door" mentality. I do think some of our frugalness has been passed to our children.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
Better deal with it. The Chicken Little's have been breeding like rabbits for a decade plus. This is what I do, 5 miles out in the gulf, by myself. No other human even in sight including the mainland. No, I'm not staying inside like animal in a zoo.

The Villages Florida
Yes! That's great! I'm a kayaker. Built Pygmy Boat Company's 17' Arctic Tern and paddled it and camped in NY's Adirondacks, Florida and the Canadian Maritimes.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,705 Posts

What a beautiful kayak!
Closed Thread

Tags
agree, entitled, make, time, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.