I'm Scared

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiesrgreat@gmail.com View Post
One more story - I heard just yesterday- a couple went to get tested for COVID - they filled out the paper work and were waiting to have the tests done. The wait was long and they had to leave before having the test administered - due to another appointment. A week later - they received a letter stating that they both tested positive! I question the validity of all numbers being reported.
This is happening all over the country. I don't know if it's on purpose to make their numbers look high so they can keep getting more money for this or what. It makes you distrust anything they say.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Reading the online paper today it was reported that there was a spike of 157 cases of Covid 19 in the Villages. Then I get my Leesburg Paper. The same reporter, reports that there is 125 new cases in the whole Tri County area. What happened to the other 37 cases? Wait it gets better. Then he reports that 94 of the cases are in Leesburg. As far as I know Leesburg is not part of the Villages.

I know I'm getting OLD but do these figures make sense to you??? Len
First of all, the numbers NEVER match. Plus, where are the FLU numbers??? You never hear of the flu anymore and those numbers are probably included with the WuhanChineseCoronaVirus numbers.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Have y'all noticed the way the headlines read? Take a look as they have the hook that reads something like this..."Cases of Covid Soar". Doctor's will tell you that each patient is a case....each test is a case, but they'll also say that the tests aren't reliable. At least that's the "news" that I've been hearing. Each time a person gets tested they're counted. Now for the deaths....did the patient actually die "from" Covid or did they die with it along with other issues? I stopped reading those articles long ago. IF you have issues then you know what to do about it. Don't go out where there "might" be crowds. IF you don't feel well, stay home.
Depending on the test being administered, there can be false positives or false negatives. The tests need to get more specific to be accurate. The test takers need to know how to administer them correctly. As a health care professional, I have observed some shoddy technique.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
This is happening all over the country. I don't know if it's on purpose to make their numbers look high so they can keep getting more money for this or what. It makes you distrust anything they say.
This being reported all over the country makes me wonder if it is actually happening. I haven't yet seen one that said, "I was just at a testing site...," it is always, "I read that..," or, "someone in the neighborhood...." Really makes me wonder if it is true or if it is a good story that gets passed around.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziesoul View Post
Those 250,000 did NOT all die from COVID! Do you know that in 2019 that there were over 3,000,000. deaths in this country????People die from a lot of different causes each year! We ALL are going to die at some point!!!

So far this year, 2.39 million Americans have died of all causes. At the same point in both 2018 and 2019, it was 2.17 million. The difference nearly matches the reported number of COVID-19 victims.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:01 PM
Default Way down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
The numbers aren't accurate anyway. I have several friends who have tested positive 2 or 3 times in the last 10 days. Each of their tests counts as a "new case". I ignore these numbers and only concern myself with the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths, which are WAY DOWN.
I've seen several people post simlar comments like "hospitalizations and deaths, which are WAY DOWN", but I don't see that in the numbers that I'm looking at on the Florida dashboard. Can you share with me the source of the data that leads you to that conclusion?

Thank you.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:35 PM
Default Covid fear mongering

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
Repetition doesn't make it right. Following public health safety measures for the good of all doesn't make people sheep or risk a government of wolves. Apparently you don't care that over 250,000 Americans have died of COVID-19.
Here's some fun facts from CDC website:
Death rate in U.S. in 2018 and 2019 averages 7.8 million. With less than 2 months in 2020 death rate is 7.4 million.
Average recovery rate from Covid is 99%.

Last edited by Johnsocat; 11-25-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Numbers error
Old 11-25-2020, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsocat View Post
Death rate in U.S. in 2018 and 2019 averages 7.8 million. With less than 2 months in 2020 death rate is 7.4 million.
So using your numbers the average number of deaths per month in 2020 is about 700,000. Adding that to the 7.4M so far will make 8.1M for the entire year or about 300,000 higher than 2018 or 2019. At the current rate there should be about 300,000 Covid deaths by the end of the year. Your numbers align with what we are seeing.

You might also check your average recovery rate. The last information I could find puts the death rate in the US at about 2% which would mean a survival rate of 98%. Not everyone will have long-lasting effects but some will which means that depending on how you define "recovery" that rate is something less than 98%.

There is far too much misinformation and misleading "facts" being thrown around.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:56 PM

But you are following also - just a different corrupt media.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Default Misinformation on Covid 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
We are living in age where people make things up to get attention. When your tested they ask for your phone number address, insurance information . People not being tested and getting phone calls that they tested positive, really ? I have been tested twice and both were negative .
I have read a lot of misinformation on this site regarding Covid 19. Please let us stick to medical facts and not just derogatory comments about the main stream media etc. Misinformation does not help people make good choices for themselves. It is important if you state an article says X then you should give the name and the date of the publication so everyone can read it. This ensures that each person can read for themselves and interpret. Misinformation about how covid 19 Cases are reported is rampant on this site. Multiple positive and negative cases are not counted multiple times. Health care workers get tested more than once. If you read the Florida Department of Health's website it explains how cases are counted. Please read and do not spread misinformation! Also when people give their phone number so they can be contacted sometimes the number they leave is not written correctly or is illegible so it is possible to receive a call with a result that may not be given to the correct person. Unfortunate but it happens.

If you have pneumonia and do not have Covid 19 cause of death is reported as pneumonia. If you have Covid 19 and it destroys the lungs causing pneumonia the death certificate reads pneumonia as a result of Covid 19. There is a lot of misinformation about contributing factors. You can have cancer and have a year to live but if you get covid and die in two weeks. You will be counted as Covid 19 because that is what killed you at the moment.

If you want to know how to determine the number of cases in The Villages go to the State of Florida Department of Health. Go to see Dashboard. At the bottom click on the zip code tab. Then click on the county of Sumter and take the numbers for zip code 32163 and 32162. Those are the Villages mail centers. Next click to Lake county and click on 32163. Then go to Marion county and click on 32162. In each case it gives you the number for those areas. Add up those numbers and you will get the number of Villagers who tested positive for Covid 19.

With Covid 19 - some people have mild symptoms, some have moderate symptoms and some have severe problems that require hospitalization. This in part is due to preexisting conditions but is also due to the immune response your body has. People with mild/moderate symptoms can have a strong immune response which can cause inflammation which damages nerve cells and other cells. See article COVID-19 Should Be Treated as an Acute Inflammatory Disease August 2020. Although some Covid 19 patients may not require hospitalization they can have lingering symptoms for many months. These people are called Long Haulers. Some people report numbness in fingers, difficulty with balance and tiredness months after having Covid 19.

Also people with Covid 19 can develop an unusual type of blood clot and although they may not need to go to the hospital for Covid they may end up stroking even if they are young or the clots can form organs. Read study results are published online Aug. 24 in the American Journal of Hematology. There is a lot on blood clotting and covid 19 on Harvard Medicine site and also on University of Michigan site.

This is a serious illness so it pays to be careful. Stay well rested, avoid large crowds, try to social distance, wear a mask and wash your hands often. Some people may feel good about continuing their regular activities. I have a history of heart surgeries and lung surgery so I avoid crowds at all costs. Everyone makes their own decisions and it is not a one size fits all. Good information is key to making your choices. So read medical articles or articles from reliable sources such as University health care systems and stop politicizing this issue.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:32 PM
Sage

No. Your numbers are wrong and your units are wrong. A "rate" would be something like 700 deaths PER 100,000 people. The total number of deaths in the US for the last couple of years have been around 2.8 million people. I don't know where you got the 7.8 million number (that you also erroneously called a "rate") but that number is most definitely not the number of people who died in 2018 or 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsocat View Post
Old 11-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

I believe you are correct. I have seen a source that puts the "excess" deaths at about 10%, which is consistent with your numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
So far this year, 2.39 million Americans have died of all causes. At the same point in both 2018 and 2019, it was 2.17 million. The difference nearly matches the reported number of COVID-19 victims.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
So using your numbers the average number of deaths per month in 2020 is about 700,000. Adding that to the 7.4M so far will make 8.1M for the entire year or about 300,000 higher than 2018 or 2019. At the current rate there should be about 300,000 Covid deaths by the end of the year. Your numbers align with what we are seeing.

You might also check your average recovery rate. The last information I could find puts the death rate in the US at about 2% which would mean a survival rate of 98%. Not everyone will have long-lasting effects but some will which means that depending on how you define "recovery" that rate is something less than 98%.

There is far too much misinformation and misleading "facts" being thrown around.
Good, accurate post.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Sage

No it's not. The numbers are wrong. There aren't 7.4 million deaths per year. Cluelessness at it's best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Good, accurate post.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifred View Post
I have read a lot of misinformation on this site regarding Covid 19. Please let us stick to medical facts and not just derogatory comments about the main stream media etc. Misinformation does not help people make good choices for themselves. It is important if you state an article says X then you should give the name and the date of the publication so everyone can read it. This ensures that each person can read for themselves and interpret. Misinformation about how covid 19 Cases are reported is rampant on this site. Multiple positive and negative cases are not counted multiple times. Health care workers get tested more than once. If you read the Florida Department of Health's website it explains how cases are counted. Please read and do not spread misinformation! Also when people give their phone number so they can be contacted sometimes the number they leave is not written correctly or is illegible so it is possible to receive a call with a result that may not be given to the correct person. Unfortunate but it happens.

If you have pneumonia and do not have Covid 19 cause of death is reported as pneumonia. If you have Covid 19 and it destroys the lungs causing pneumonia the death certificate reads pneumonia as a result of Covid 19. There is a lot of misinformation about contributing factors. You can have cancer and have a year to live but if you get covid and die in two weeks. You will be counted as Covid 19 because that is what killed you at the moment.

If you want to know how to determine the number of cases in The Villages go to the State of Florida Department of Health. Go to see Dashboard. At the bottom click on the zip code tab. Then click on the county of Sumter and take the numbers for zip code 32163 and 32162. Those are the Villages mail centers. Next click to Lake county and click on 32163. Then go to Marion county and click on 32162. In each case it gives you the number for those areas. Add up those numbers and you will get the number of Villagers who tested positive for Covid 19.

With Covid 19 - some people have mild symptoms, some have moderate symptoms and some have severe problems that require hospitalization. This in part is due to preexisting conditions but is also due to the immune response your body has. People with mild/moderate symptoms can have a strong immune response which can cause inflammation which damages nerve cells and other cells. See article COVID-19 Should Be Treated as an Acute Inflammatory Disease August 2020. Although some Covid 19 patients may not require hospitalization they can have lingering symptoms for many months. These people are called Long Haulers. Some people report numbness in fingers, difficulty with balance and tiredness months after having Covid 19.

Also people with Covid 19 can develop an unusual type of blood clot and although they may not need to go to the hospital for Covid they may end up stroking even if they are young or the clots can form organs. Read study results are published online Aug. 24 in the American Journal of Hematology. There is a lot on blood clotting and covid 19 on Harvard Medicine site and also on University of Michigan site.

This is a serious illness so it pays to be careful. Stay well rested, avoid large crowds, try to social distance, wear a mask and wash your hands often. Some people may feel good about continuing their regular activities. I have a history of heart surgeries and lung surgery so I avoid crowds at all costs. Everyone makes their own decisions and it is not a one size fits all. Good information is key to making your choices. So read medical articles or articles from reliable sources such as University health care systems and stop politicizing this issue.
Thank you for a sensible reasonable post based on logic, not emotion.
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, leesburg, reports, villages, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.