I'm sold, but are unpopular political leanings a deal breaker?

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Default I'm sold, but are unpopular political leanings a deal breaker?

First, hope this is an appropriate post here. To cut to the chase, my wife and I are starting the process of where to retire to from Connecticut. I've run into a few people who gave me the lowdown on TV and frankly it sounds really enticing. I'm going to schedule a LV this week.

I lean conservative but my wife is definitely a liberal Democrat. She's not publically over the top or anything - we have conservative friends, but I am concerned about what I've read about some of what has gone on in the past. I've heard about people being harassed, golf carts with Democratic stickers vandalized, and Fox news being piped over the PA in public areas exclusively. Is this true?

I don't think she would mind the radio station and the paper leaning right, after all anywhere in the south would kind of be the same. And we're not the kind of people that have to publically express our political views - lawn signs, etc. But if it was constantly in your face to the extreme everywhere you turned, then I think she would not be comfortable.

I might be blowing this out of proportion, but thought I'd better ask before we came down for the LV.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Why not rent here for a few months and find out for yourself??
Old 05-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Our neighborhood is very mixed with Rs, Ds and/or Is sometimes sharing the same house as with your case. Just restrain yourself when talking about certain topics until you get to know your neighbors better.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-18-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

If you go by the newspaper, the special guests at the bookstore and who gets to rent office space for elections, you would think The Villages are overwhelmingly Republican. But that's heavily influenced by the leanings of the Morse family, who own The Villages. If you go by voter registration, residents of The Villages are evenly split between Republican, Democratic and Independent.

In our neighborhood, we have a social club that does monthly dinners and other gatherings. There are conservatives, liberals and those who really don't care to follow politics at all in it. We all get along and enjoy each other but mostly stay away from talking about politics. We're all much more into simply having wonderful and active and friend-filled retirements.

Political leanings are really emotionally based, so there is no point in arguing about which is correct and which is wrong. If you do so, all you do is frustrate yourself and anger your opponent. As Robert Heinlein once said, "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig."
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

This was not on my list of things to worry about before I bought.
BTW where in this country will you get away from the political crazies?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Sage

Politics is totally avoidable to any level you wish. In my opinion and based on my experience, definitely not an issue in deciding whether or not to move here.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM

There is a very active Democratic Club and Women's Democratic Club. I am sure your wife will find like- minded people here.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM

I am a moderate, leaning left on social issues. I am married to someone more conservative. We are both very happy here.

One of the things I like about The Villages is the exposure to different political views. It helps me understand our country better.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Talk to your wife...............................
Old 05-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Sage

I don't think she would mind the radio station and the paper leaning right, after all anywhere in the south would kind of be the same.

I don't think so but this is the only place I have lived in the south.

Years ago---3? 4? I did the math.

The phone book is sorted in different ways, one being by state. I found out 40% of the residents were from the north east states. This does not include the people who moved from the north east states and retired outside of the villages the first time, to a southern state, including Florida. Then they landed here. So they spent most of their working life in a north east state. My brother in law says he's from north carolina even though he lived in NJ until he was 64.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 AM

Where in Connecticut are You from? I left that "tax you to death" state 14 years ago, and have not regretted it once! Have You checked out Sun City Hilton Head in SC? It's "kind of like" TV, but on a much smaller scale. Most homes have privacy in the back and it truly is a gated community.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage

When I worked for NYC I was a Democrat, when I went into my own business I became a conservative Republican- and most important for your wife, Fl is a right to carry state--lots of gun owners here and one of the biggest if not the biggest club in TV is the Straight Shooters Club==anti gun sentiment can be very frustrating here--compared to NJ, we're living for free
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

We come from the Northampton/Amherst Massachusetts area which is about the most left, Elizabeth Warren worshiping, area in the country. We are both moderate independents who tend to be fiscally conservative but more socially progressive. Relative to where we are from, the Villages is a breath of fresh air. Yes the Villages tends to lean right, but much more reasonably balanced then what we are used to. We find the conservative people in the Villages to be way more civil than the liberals up north.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

You better rent here so she can evaluate her tolerance level. She may be able to control herself but will not be able to avoid hearing politics inside the bubble. Every public space you will overhear what your fear is in your original post. You will be shunned for not standing hand over heart for God Bless The USA guaranteed.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

It occurs to me that your wife has more-or-less happily coexisted with a husband whose political views differ from hers. Therefore it also occurs to me that she could logically more-or-less happily coexist with a few thousand strangers whose political views differ from hers, and whose views more than likely will never be openly expressed. I largely share her political views and in nine years of being in TV seasonally, have never been in what I would consider an uncomfortable political position. I have dozens of friends with whom I disagree politically, but have warm regards for and positive relationships with. I find the vast majority of people I have encountered here to be warm, friendly, happy, and well adjusted, regardless of political views.

Tags
people, conservative, kind, political, publically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.