I'm sold, but are unpopular political leanings a deal breaker?

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Wow.. thanks for the quick replies!
Sounds like it might be a non issue for us. She is definitely an intellectual liberal and not an emotional one - certainly loves a spirited debate. Even up here you learn real quick who you can talk politics with and those you steer clear.
And the gun right to carry in Florida will not be a problem as I have a CCP up here in CT.

Thanks again everybody.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

What is really sad is that most of you say avoid talking politics. This country has become so political divided that people actually hate each other from "the other" party. What has caused such a divide?

I remember growing up, we would discuss the candidates and people voted for who they thought was the best candidate regardless of party. Now folks would rather cut off there arm then vote for someone not in their party. I have never seen such a divided nation as we have today. It is so very sad that we are so stupid that most believe that the worst crook in their party is better then the best person in the other party.

That will destroy us faster then any outside force. We will destroy ourselves because we are so politically biased and divided.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
You better rent here so she can evaluate her tolerance level. She may be able to control herself but will not be able to avoid hearing politics inside the bubble...
Not our experience at all.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
What is really sad is that most of you say avoid talking politics. This country has become so political divided that people actually hate each other from "the other" party. What has caused such a divide?

I remember growing up, we would discuss the candidates and people voted for who they thought was the best candidate regardless of party. Now folks would rather cut off there arm then vote for someone not in their party. I have never seen such a divided nation as we have today. It is so very sad that we are so stupid that most believe that the worst crook in their party is better then the best person in the other party.

That will destroy us faster then any outside force. We will destroy ourselves because we are so politically biased and divided.
This post deserves to be repeated!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

On my three stays, from talking to everyone I could (not about politics), I felt The Villages comprised mostly a Middle America - Northeast mix with some Floridians from other parts of the state thrown in. It seems to me the vast majority move to TV for two reasons: 1) to escape harsh winters and 2) to seek refuge from significant state income taxes and high property taxes.

I found nearly everyone very friendly in TV. What I finally realized but had not considered ahead of time is that because literally all Villagers are from somewhere else they are openly friendly and desirous of making new friends, unlike some communities in which I have resided.

As an aside, a few years ago on a cruise I met a woman having a very strong Northeastern accent. I asked her where she was from and when she told me "San Diego" I burst out laughing. I could not help myself.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy909 View Post
First, hope this is an appropriate post here. To cut to the chase, my wife and I are starting the process of where to retire to from Connecticut. I've run into a few people who gave me the lowdown on TV and frankly it sounds really enticing. I'm going to schedule a LV this week.

I lean conservative but my wife is definitely a liberal Democrat. She's not publically over the top or anything - we have conservative friends, but I am concerned about what I've read about some of what has gone on in the past. I've heard about people being harassed, golf carts with Democratic stickers vandalized, and Fox news being piped over the PA in public areas exclusively. Is this true?

I don't think she would mind the radio station and the paper leaning right, after all anywhere in the south would kind of be the same. And we're not the kind of people that have to publically express our political views - lawn signs, etc. But if it was constantly in your face to the extreme everywhere you turned, then I think she would not be comfortable.

I might be blowing this out of proportion, but thought I'd better ask before we came down for the LV.

There is a club called “Liberal Ladies.” When the club first began, it was so crowded that a lot of interested women could not get in the door — literally — that room filled up fast.

The Lifelong Learning College once offered courses on subjects that, by the very nature of the topic, attracted people with common interests — of all kinds. BUT the Lifelong Learning College was shut down.

The courses that were there in “Women’s Studies” were outstanding, centering around women’s roles throughout history. I think some of the classes have tried to regroup but I do not know how that is going now. (sigh)

TV is an enormous place and, of course, you will find those who want to run their mouths, regurgitating the “news” of the day while assuming you are one of ‘em. But those over-the-top people are everywhere now.

I am the only person in the world not on Facebook because there are things I choose not to know. That is the philosophy I make work for me as I meet new people. Those your wife chooses not to know better will reveal themselves pretty quickly.

In real life, I have friends who are not as moderately left as I am, but we get along fine because we either have a tacit agreement not to talk about politics or we can have friendly discussions, exchanging ideas. — And then there are my “preaching to the choir” friends.

Perhaps someone on this board will contact you — possibly via PM — with an update on how the “Liberal Ladies” club is doing. (I have a feeling they are doing quite well.)

PS: The best advice in this thread is to rent for a while to get a better feel for the place — but that applies to everything about TV. It is possible you will find more “in-your-face” politics here, but depending on your overall impression of TV, the pros and the cons — like most other big decisions — she can decide how to make it work — or not. Take your time. There is no urgency. There will always be another house available in TV.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-18-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Politics, especially on TOTV, is a very over blown subject.

Like every where else in the world politics is a non entity in the normal person's every day life.

Like religion or color of the rainbow or type of car or where to ear breakfast or music one likes or where or when to play golf......and so on....politics not required....rarely/if ever comes up.....

Only on the television, the media, and forums like this where the isolated make things sound like general conditions.

I suspect over 95-99% who chose to live here did so without even asking about the politics......

WHO CARES??????
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Politics is totally avoidable to any level you wish. In my opinion and based on my experience, definitely not an issue in deciding whether or not to move here.
Totally opposite of our experience here. You can come to an understanding with your friends but you can not help but over hear the table next to you at the country clubs. Especially prevalent at happy hour with a bunch of golfers trying to talk over each other. Hard to tune out with the volume being amplified by booze and half of them have a substantial lose of hearing.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Why not rent here for a few months and find out for yourself??
Ditto this response! I've never hard Fox News being piped anywhere. If it were, it would still pale in comparison to CNN being piped to virtually every airport TV in the country. I'm a believer in tuning out or turning off if you don't like the "noise" as opposed to whining and complaining to try and force everyone to be fed what best lines up with your own leanings.

In any case, any sort of political posts are frowned upon here, so I'll leave it at that.

Chances are, if you are a left/right couple and you get along with each other and each other's friends, you'll be just fine here too. Politics or not, do your own due diligence and spend some time here, in a rental, or the Lifestyle plan, and decide for yourself. Most of us think it's a wonderful place, but as the case with almost anywhere, it's not for everyone.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy909 View Post
Wow.. thanks for the quick replies!
Sounds like it might be a non issue for us. She is definitely an intellectual liberal and not an emotional one - certainly loves a spirited debate. Even up here you learn real quick who you can talk politics with and those you steer clear.
And the gun right to carry in Florida will not be a problem as I have a CCP up here in CT.

Thanks again everybody.
There is always room for another intellectual who enjoys spirited debates. Tell her to come on down!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Sage

What have you decided to do?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:55 AM

I have no idea about the political leanings of my neighbors. If your wife doesn't care they won't care.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Default Re: Politics

WOW-perhaps because I have far more time after retiring from my own business.
People here are brighter, more educated and more prosperous than AVERAGE. I find it scary the way some of these brighter,more educated and more prosperous people think.
OUR COUNTRY whether you are liberal or conservative is being torn apart by this CRAP.

A FAMOUS QUOTE FROM CONDI RICE-IF ALL YOUR FRIENDS AGREE WITH YOU-YOU NEED SOME NEW FRIENDS.

TRUTH-no one is as far RIGHT as you THINK? the Republicans are and no one is as far LEFT as the Republicans think the Democrats are.

How many can HONESTLY CLAIM when they vote they vote for what AFTER LEARNING who stands for what, and you vote based on what is good for OUR COUNTRY and not what you think is good for a political party.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
WOW-perhaps because I have far more time after retiring from my own business.
People here are brighter, more educated and more prosperous than AVERAGE. I find it scary the way some of these brighter,more educated and more prosperous people think.
OUR COUNTRY whether you are liberal or conservative is being torn apart by this CRAP.

A FAMOUS QUOTE FROM CONDI RICE-IF ALL YOUR FRIENDS AGREE WITH YOU-YOU NEED SOME NEW FRIENDS.

TRUTH-no one is as far RIGHT as you THINK? the Republicans are and no one is as far LEFT as the Republicans think the Democrats are.

How many can HONESTLY CLAIM when they vote they vote for what AFTER LEARNING who stands for what, and you vote based on what is good for OUR COUNTRY and not what you think is good for a political party.
I am sorry but I don't understand your post.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Frankly, this is a wonderful place to live. Friends can be found everywhere and the amenities a have few equals anywhere. There are lots of churches and flagpoles. The place teems with veterans. Unless your political leanings are such as to disrespect the flag, country or God, you will be welcome here. The Villages population is composed of people from all over the country, most of them seniors with firm views of just about everything. Some are old and cranky, but most welcome and embrace new folks and do not try to force their opinions on anyone. If you do not have a problem living the rest of you life with 100,000 old people there is not a better place to move in the good old USA.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, conservative, kind, political, publically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.