I'm sold, but are unpopular political leanings a deal breaker?

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When we were investigating The Villages and the Historic Weather Patterns and The Cost of Living and the different style houses available without searching for it the political breakdown percentage wise was there to read. I thought to myself wow that sure is lopsided but it is what it is. I never spoke of politics outside of our home in my life but did in the pool one day. That crack in the informational wall changed everything. That was almost two years ago and I still find myself defending myself from time to time for my beliefs. It's funny that there are 10 couples in the gang we hang out with and only one other is like-minded with us. We are in The Villages Majority and this whole thing turned out backwards. I wish I had held back that one conversation, its nobody's business who I support but its also not my business what others think about me or my opinion. I try to sidestep the constant tears and complaining. It is like all they have to bitch about. Great people but I feel sorry for them but sorrier for me.

Disregard the brokers political teaching, its all about the Real Estate. They are working for you so tell them to zip the lip. Ours was a Political Nut Case.

Last edited by Nucky; 05-18-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

If you believe in the stereotyping of voters based upon demographics here is the usual key categories and the makeup of The Villages:

97% population white
< 41% obtained bachelor degrees or higher
78% 65+ years of age
$57191 median household income
Old 05-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Politics was not even considered in our decision to move to TV.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda.ball View Post
Politics was not even considered in our decision to move to TV.
Exactly who cares?

Last edited by Nucky; 05-18-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Platinum member
Question Politics?

The Villages began historically as a relocation destination for Yankees. It still is.

A significant number of those Yankees are Democrats. Statistically, your wife will find many people of like mind.

I consider it a non-issue.

-----------

Having said that, you will find that when Conservative candidates come to speak in the town square, the crowd is overwhelming. When Conservative writers come for book signings, the store is full.

We don't see an awful lot of Liberal candidates or authors.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I am a liberal and downright proud of it. I love to discuss political issues so long as it is an honest discussion and not just an excuse to belittle the other side. I’ve found a few liberals here and thoroughly enjoy their viewpoints. I’ve found more conservatives here and thoroughly enjoy their viewpoints. I’ve also found some on both sides of the aisle here who I will happily cross the street to avoid. Not all political discussions have been pleasant and one got downright nasty, but, in the main, most were good discussions.

So, it is up to your wife whether she wants to get into the frey or steer clear when politics are discussed. There are times when you can’t avoid hearing a conversation about the Donald. Fox News is on a few restaurant televisions (more are The Golf Channel, though). Haven’t seen MSNBC anywhere but at home. Trump stickers still abound. The politicians you’ll see campaigning in TV itself will be Republicans (you have to go off campus for Democratic rallies although some Dem candidates will speak at the Democratic Club).

If politics are important to your wife (they are to me), some of the comments she will hear will be hard to ignore, let alone tolerate. But, it is still a great place to land. Even the most conservative neighbor will jump to help when needed. There a lot of laughs, good times and good friends that come from living here. Come on down and test the waters (a short visit really isn’t enough to give you a true flavor).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Tags
people, conservative, kind, political, publically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.