Important news for villagers-Street Parking

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I don't understand why you were cited. You clearly were not opposite an excavation unless you have failed to give us important information. The only time "street excavation" appears in the Florida code is in the regulation under which you were charged. Every other time "excavation" appears seem to involve digging trenches. That only leaves obstruction. So were you parked "opposite an obstruction"? Maybe you should contact the Sheriff''s office to ask for clarification of the regulation under which you were cited and ask for the specific excavation or obstruction which was present at the time your car was hit. Sometimes police don't get the laws right. Florida does have an up to 500 dollar charge if you choose to go to court. That serves both to make some money for the programs the fee supports and discourages citizens from contesting tickets which means the officer doesn't have to be pulled into court to testify.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Gold member

I always thought if you struck a fixed object (the parked car) you were at fault regardless of the location. A driver is supposed to be aware of the surroundings and take care not to have an accident.

As to the "guest" parking in villa areas - good luck with that. We have been 'round and 'round with parking in the "guest" area and even thought it is in our deed restrictions we have been told (and when I say "we" I mean me personally plus others) that anyone can park there. So ours is full of regular residents and anytime guests are here they park in the streets.

Because it is widely accepted to park in the streets in TV I think I would of have challenged that officer as he wrote the ticket and may just fight it no matter the cost - just doesn't seem right.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I thought it was against the rules to leave your car parked in the road for an extended period of time. Right down the road from me there has been a car parked on the side of the road in front of a house for a month. it is on a curve in the road so it inhibits the flow of traffic. I called the villages to see if this was permitted and they said yes because the roads were county roads and to call the sheriff. I wonder why this car has been parked for so long? I have not called the sheriff...I don't want to make a federal case out of it but it really should be moved.
We have one on our street that has been there as long as we have lived on the street, 15 months, and it seldom moves. I estimate about once a month, if that. It's always a pleasure to come around the curve and find it gone!! I'm sure it will get hit one day. They are pretty close to the curve, and you don't see the car until you've already come around. I don't understand why they don't just park in their driveway. The driveway is always empty.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
We have one on our street that has been there as long as we have lived on the street, 15 months, and it seldom moves. I estimate about once a month, if that. It's always a pleasure to come around the curve and find it gone!! I'm sure it will get hit one day. They are pretty close to the curve, and you don't see the car until you've already come around. I don't understand why they don't just park in their driveway. The driveway is always empty.
Here's some possibilities; the car might leak oil, it's not their everyday driver and they would have to move it every time they leave home. If they park it in the driveway, it would have to moved to get the golf cart or another car out of the garage, etc., etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Gold member

Our home is scheduled to be completed sometime in July. We plan to come down in our conversion van which does not fit in the garage. Initially the van would be the only vehicle we will be using, going back and forth from NY, eventually the car would replace the van which would be sent to a storage area. Does anyone think that parking a van on my driveway for two weeks would be an issue?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarick View Post
......Does anyone think that parking a van on my driveway for two weeks would be an issue?
Nope - shouldn't be an issue.

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have never heard or read that it was against any rules to park your car in your driveway.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Nope - shouldn't be an issue.

Bill
Whew.

Thanks Bill

Rick
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Sage

No problem, Rick. We see a number of people around our area who park their vehicles in their driveways 24/7/365.

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

I'm thinking the "obstruction" was the fact that maybe you were parked directly behind someone's driveway? Is that how they hit you?
I also heard that it is true that ANYONE can park in the "extra spots" located in the patio villas or courtyard villas. That nobody can "enforce" those spots. Even if you have an extra car and live somewhere else, you have the right to park it there.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarick View Post
Our home is scheduled to be completed sometime in July. We plan to come down in our conversion van which does not fit in the garage. Initially the van would be the only vehicle we will be using, going back and forth from NY, eventually the car would replace the van which would be sent to a storage area. Does anyone think that parking a van on my driveway for two weeks would be an issue?
We had two cars in our patio villa- one stayed in the driveway for the entire 6 months we were there and even some nights on the street right in front. Never had any complaints stated to us by neighbors or officials. I did my best to park it in the driveway most nights-but some nights I forgot to move it. Always was a problem backing out golf cart around car in the garage and car in the driveway. We knew we were not keeping the villa- thus didn't want to expand to widen the driveway.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
.......... I also heard that it is true that ANYONE can park in the "extra spots" located in the patio villas or courtyard villas. That nobody can "enforce" those spots. Even if you have an extra car and live somewhere else, you have the right to park it there.
Tracey, contrary to what you heard, that's not the case - at least using Rosedale Villas deed restrictions as an example:

"Temporary parking depicted on the plat of the Subdivision is not for Owner's use but is for the use of the Owner's invitees and guests."

from Rosedale Villas deed restrictions: Article V (Use Restrictions), Section 20:

http://www.districtgov.org/images/De...20Rosedale.pdf

It's in the deed restrictions.

Can it be enforced? Yes.
Is it? ..............I don't know.

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Obviously, the police officer thought the parked car was obstructing traffic (i.e., the car that backed out of the driveway) and therefore issued a ticket. If the parked car got hit by someone backing out of the driveway, it is safe to assume it was directly across the street from the driveway. Not a good way to park.

If someone parks so it is not going to be in the way of a driveway, there is nothing wrong with parking on the street while visiting friends for the evening or at a garage sale.

Also, the police would not have issued a ticket if no accident had happened. Only reason the police came to the scene was that they were called there.

Streets are narrow enough with out someone parking across from a driveway.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Bill---Who enforces the deed restrictions? For example- if I wanted to go park my vehicle at Rosedale Villas--who would make me move it?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Sage

I doubt it's an issue for law enforcement - it's not illegal parking in violation of any law. The responsibility seems as though it would fall to the Community Standards department given that it would be an item that's in violation with the deed restrictions:

VCDD Community Standards

I expect it's like many other things, however - it's complaint driven. If someone calls it in, then the Community Standards department would/should pursue it. If nobody in the neighborhood is bugged about the parking issue, then it probably just lies dormant.

What process does the Community Standards department go through to reach a resolution? I don't know. Perhaps someone who has had such a thing happen in their neighborhood can chime in.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.