Important news for villagers-Street Parking

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Location: I live in the villages of Santiago, in The Villages. I love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
What am I missing here? Are you saying that it is illegal to park on the street at any time?
Look at section 316 in the Traffic code of Florida. The officer said I could not park on the street. I asked where to park and he said in my friend's driveway. So be aware.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
Maybe that is why they built those guests parking slots ... At least at my village any way.
No guest parking spots in any village I know about.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Where I come from it is illegal to park within a certain distance of a road junction - 25 yards from memory - yet I have seen vehicles here parked directly opposite a T-junction - a really dangerous place to park.

Even parking directly opposite someone's drive is asking for trouble, as they have to have room to swing in and out of it.

Where exactly was your car parked when you were given the citation?

I find it hard to believe that parking in the street away from drives and junctions would incur a fine - all of the service providers (Massey, CenturyLink etc.) would have been bankrupted long ago.
I was parked directly across from his driveway. Maybe thirty feet from the end of the street. It just never dawned on me that anyone would have a problem backing out of a driveway with only one car on the street even if it was across from the driveway. He didn't look anyway, since he slammed into my car doors an damaged even the hinges.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Why oh why would one park accross the street at the end of a driveway???
Is this a senior moment?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariluu65 View Post
I was parked directly across from his driveway. Maybe thirty feet from the end of the street. It just never dawned on me that anyone would have a problem backing out of a driveway with only one car on the street even if it was across from the driveway. He didn't look anyway, since he slammed into my car doors an damaged even the hinges.
This is a clue.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Gold member

Like I said time and time again. Yes you can park your car on the street. Why would somebody backing down a driveway hit a parked car right behind them. Somebody should not be driving. If you cannot see them parked,you will never see them moving.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
An unfortunate accident. Apparently this did not occur in a CYV complex where there are spaces for guests. I avoid parking directly across the street from a driveway just to avoid such an incident. Yes, he should have been looking but...... Although, I have never heard of getting a ticket for parking as you parked across from a driveway. I Suppose the Deputy Sheriff was in a particularly bad mood. Who knows?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM

When I took driver's training and received my license, I was to the understanding that the person operating a motor vehicle needs to have control of said vehicle at all time. If a person backed into you, looks like it was their fault. You just may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Like I said time and time again. Yes you can park your car on the street. Why would somebody backing down a driveway hit a parked car right behind them. Somebody should not be driving. If you cannot see them parked,you will never see them moving.
I was almost hit in my golf cart while passing the end of a driveway and the car in it started reversing out, only stopping because I shouted out.

Some people just "lose it" as soon as they get in their car.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Look at section 316 in the Traffic code of Florida. The officer said I could not park on the street. I asked where to park and he said in my friend's driveway. So be aware.
I would plead NOT QUILTY and have a judge hear the case. (Before it gets to a trial, the DA will dismiss it.)

If it's against the law to park on streets in Sumter County, there would (should) be signs saying "NO PARKING".

The fact that there was an accident has no relation to the fact that you got a ticket.

Skip
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Gold member

This ticket will be thrown out.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum member

Let us know what happens. Thanks...

Skip
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Gold member

If no parking on the street is the case, If you had a party at your home where would everyone park? Never seen any "No Parking signs officer.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM

A woman would have looked before backing out.....Bogie.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.