Important news for villagers-Street Parking

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Location: I live in the villages of Santiago, in The Villages. I love it here.
Angry Important news for villagers-Street Parking

I was recently given a citation by the Sheriffs dept. and will be paying $116 fine.

I was parked in front of my friends house because we were all playing cards in the villages. The neighbor across the street pulled out of his driveway and smashed into my driver's side door. My insurance said to call the police and have the neighbor call their insurance company. The police said the neighbor got a citation for more money that will affect his insurance, but that I was at fault too for parking on the roadway!!! The section is 316.1945.1.a.6 I called the clerk of courts and she told me that if I lost the case, I could be charged $500 plus court costs plus they can sanction my license.

So, do not park in the road in The Villages. You may get a citation if anything happens. I called two lawyers and one said to fight it, and one said they wouldn't. I am not going to fight it. But it is wrong.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

sorry to read of your misfortune. might you tell us the location of the incident...or at least the county - lake, sumter or marion?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 PM

Why is this wrong? You have to know that the owner of the striking vehicle is going to be screaming that you should not have been parked where you were. From what you state, I believe the police handled the situation properly. Your anger is mis-directed.Imho.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Veteran member

What am I missing here? Are you saying that it is illegal to park on the street at any time?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariluu65 View Post
I was recently given a citation by the Sheriffs dept. and will be paying $116 fine.

I was parked in front of my friends house because we were all playing cards in the villages. The neighbor across the street pulled out of his driveway and smashed into my driver's side door. My insurance said to call the police and have the neighbor call their insurance company. The police said the neighbor got a citation for more money that will affect his insurance, but that I was at fault too for parking on the roadway!!! The section is 316.1945.1.a.6 I called the clerk of courts and she told me that if I lost the case, I could be charged $500 plus court costs plus they can sanction my license.

So, do not park in the road in The Villages. You may get a citation if anything happens. I called two lawyers and one said to fight it, and one said they wouldn't. I am not going to fight it. But it is wrong.
Maybe that is why they built those guests parking slots ... At least at my village any way.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Wouldn't you think the sheriffs dept would be writing tickets left and right at garage and estate sales.Thinks there's more to the story
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
Maybe that is why they built those guests parking slots ... At least at my village any way.
The problem with those spaces, the residents use them, so they have more room in garage???
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM

What spaces are you all talking about?? The only places that have guest parking are the villa's. I have never seen guest parking at any other place and where are you suppose to park if you visit someone??
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

The parking spaces set aside in villa neighborhoods are for guests staying for a short term only and not to be used as a perminent spot for resident owners.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariluu65 View Post
I was recently given a citation by the Sheriffs dept. and will be paying $116 fine. I was parked in front of my friends house...

Where I come from it is illegal to park within a certain distance of a road junction - 25 yards from memory - yet I have seen vehicles here parked directly opposite a T-junction - a really dangerous place to park.

Even parking directly opposite someone's drive is asking for trouble, as they have to have room to swing in and out of it.

Where exactly was your car parked when you were given the citation?

I find it hard to believe that parking in the street away from drives and junctions would incur a fine - all of the service providers (Massey, CenturyLink etc.) would have been bankrupted long ago.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage

Here's what's stated in the statute noted by the O.P. (316.1945.1.a.6):

316.1945 Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places.—
(1) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic control device, no person shall:
(a) Stop, stand, or park a vehicle:
6. Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing, or parking would obstruct traffic.

I guess I'm not understanding what the "street excavation or obstruction" was in this particular instance.

Here's a link to the entire 316.1945 statute:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Bill
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Sage

Obviously, the police officer thought the parked car was obstructing traffic (i.e., the car that backed out of the driveway) and therefore issued a ticket. If the parked car got hit by someone backing out of the driveway, it is safe to assume it was directly across the street from the driveway. Not a good way to park.

If someone parks so it is not going to be in the way of a driveway, there is nothing wrong with parking on the street while visiting friends for the evening or at a garage sale.

Also, the police would not have issued a ticket if no accident had happened. Only reason the police came to the scene was that they were called there.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Default Car parked for a long time

I thought it was against the rules to leave your car parked in the road for an extended period of time. Right down the road from me there has been a car parked on the side of the road in front of a house for a month. it is on a curve in the road so it inhibits the flow of traffic. I called the villages to see if this was permitted and they said yes because the roads were county roads and to call the sheriff. I wonder why this car has been parked for so long? I have not called the sheriff...I don't want to make a federal case out of it but it really should be moved.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I thought it was against the rules to leave your car parked in the road for an extended period of time. Right down the road from me there has been a car parked on the side of the road in front of a house for a month. it is on a curve in the road so it inhibits the flow of traffic. I called the villages to see if this was permitted and they said yes because the roads were county roads and to call the sheriff. I wonder why this car has been parked for so long? I have not called the sheriff...I don't want to make a federal case out of it but it really should be moved.
Well someone will probably tell them now that you have posted.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

In Sumter County the County does have jurisdiction over the streets. Our friends in another Village in Sumter has a motorhome parked on their street a number of nights during the winter months and neighbors complained to the Sheriff's office ---- Deputy said it was okay and they could park there but not in their own driveway!! Maybe "things" depend on which Deputy happens to answer the call?? OP, just curious was this incident in a Villa Complex or elsewhere?

Last edited by justjim; 03-20-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.