Impression #2 First Golf Experience

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Default Impression #2 First Golf Experience

I really enjoyed reading Vinny’s “ First Impression” story. I haven’t posted very often because we bought our house in December and was able to rent it out for 5 months. We had three tenants in 5 months and the tenants were outstanding. One of my tenants was so well liked by the neighbors that they hope we can achieve their high standards. My wife and I really like to golf and have some funny first time experiences to share with you.

The “automatic golf tee time” telephone was interesting. WOW!!! The automated telephone man talk so fasts that it took me awhile to understand what he was talking about. After an half-hour of looking at the Village map and listening to my telephone man , I made a golf reservation. We will play at Amberwood Executive Golf Course at 11:30 am the next day. I told my neighbors my great accomplishment and they started to laugh. Do you know how far the Village of Hemingway is from the golf course? No. Do you know how hot it is at 11:30.am? No. My neighbors showed me on the map that Amberwood golf course was the farthest point in the Village for us. It will take you 45 minutes to get there on your golf cart!! No problem, I will rent a golf cart.

Of course we got lost trying to find this great golf course and arrived 5 minutes before tee time. I told the starter that I want to rent a golf cart and was given a “push cart”. The starter informed me that you can’t rent a golf cart at the executive golf courses only push carts for 99 cents each. Why is it 99 cents and not a dollar? I looked around and we were the only couple that had a push cart. My wife was ready to kill me! I asked my golf partners how hot it is? Well, it only 94 degree. Only 94 degree! Being from Chicago, it very seldom gets to 94 degree. By the 7th hole, I thought I was at the Sahara desert and didn’t care about golf anymore! Our golf partners told us to keep drinking water and stay in the shade and we’ll make a Floridian out of you. Good luck! I am only going to be here 10 days. We finished our first golf round at Villages, got in our air condition car and took a nap in our air condition house. Did I tell you how hot it is at 11:30 am? How do you survive?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Wow. What a great story. You have just won the COURAGEOUS GOLFER AWARD. I gotta hand it to ya. I would have quit. When it turns 70 it is a motor cart for me.

You sound like fun and adventurous folks. You are gonna be so glad you have a home here. WELCOME!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Sage

Amberwood is one of my favorite courses, but it is far, far away! 11:30 is hot time without a doubt. When it gets hot, I just don't play. There are lots of other things to do or not do...

After being miserable playing in the summer, or trying to play in the summer, I've decided I'm a fair weather golfer. Once that humidity starts creeping up, air-conditioning is my friend...lol.

You'll adjust to the temp, though you might not want to be outdoors playing when it's in the mid 90's for a bit. Some people aren't bothered by the heat and dampness, others are. You'll decide for yourself and either play or find indoor recreation for the summer.

Oh, I can just imagine your wife's look when she had to walk in this heat, you're lucky you survived.... .
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ CHICAGO View Post
I really enjoyed reading Vinny’s “ First Impression” story. I haven’t posted very often because we bought our house in December and was able to rent it out for 5 months. We had three tenants in 5 months and the tenants were outstanding. One of my tenants was so well liked by the neighbors that they hope we can achieve their high standards. My wife and I really like to golf and have some funny first time experiences to share with you.

The “automatic golf tee time” telephone was interesting. WOW!!! The automated telephone man talk so fasts that it took me awhile to understand what he was talking about. After an half-hour of looking at the Village map and listening to my telephone man , I made a golf reservation. We will play at Amberwood Executive Golf Course at 11:30 am the next day. I told my neighbors my great accomplishment and they started to laugh. Do you know how far the Village of Hemingway is from the golf course? No. Do you know how hot it is at 11:30.am? No. My neighbors showed me on the map that Amberwood golf course was the farthest point in the Village for us. It will take you 45 minutes to get there on your golf cart!! No problem, I will rent a golf cart.

Of course we got lost trying to find this great golf course and arrived 5 minutes before tee time. I told the starter that I want to rent a golf cart and was given a “push cart”. The starter informed me that you can’t rent a golf cart at the executive golf courses only push carts for 99 cents each. Why is it 99 cents and not a dollar? I looked around and we were the only couple that had a push cart. My wife was ready to kill me! I asked my golf partners how hot it is? Well, it only 94 degree. Only 94 degree! Being from Chicago, it very seldom gets to 94 degree. By the 7th hole, I thought I was at the Sahara desert and didn’t care about golf anymore! Our golf partners told us to keep drinking water and stay in the shade and we’ll make a Floridian out of you. Good luck! I am only going to be here 10 days. We finished our first golf round at Villages, got in our air condition car and took a nap in our air condition house. Did I tell you how hot it is at 11:30 am? How do you survive?

p.s., post more often!!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Veteran member

I begin to melt when the temp. moves into the 90's. That is the time to be in the air conditioning. My neighbor, however, thrives when the temps go into the 90's. He comes over to my house and weeds the shrubs. I watch from my air conditioned kitchen.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Gold member
Default How hot is it?

Well, I arrived Sat night, have my first tee time today on Bacall at 8:41 - it's only 5 minutes away and I was actually considering walking, so you may have saved me from heatstroke. I will pay the trail fee! And bring a travel cup full of ice. And an extra one in a small cooler.

I must say, however, that every trip when I golf (and I usually golf about 3-5 times a week when I'm here) I meet other walkers who look about 10 years younger than they are. The last one I met in April was 75, looked about 65, and said he walks throughout the summer even. He'd been retired 19 years. Hope I do as well.

Have to say that I was in TV last year about this same time and it was not as humid - seems to be a bad stretch of weather right now that normally doesn't come until July, August and September, or at least that's what I'm hearing. Also, the rain keeps missing us, and we need it!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.