Internet Options

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Default Internet Options

Will be moving to The Villages soon and was curious as to what options exist for internet connection.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Default Re: Internet Options

I got high speed internet in March with Comcast (the fastest) through Circuit City in The Villages. I got my own modem and connection kit free with rebate, got a reduced rate (half price) for 6 months of service, and then got a $75.00 Circuit City customer appreciation certificate in the mail. Good deal !!! You need to be on cable for TV, but it was a lot better than most of the "free wireless" that is available in much of The Villages. Like most of the services in The Villages. they will turn it on and off at your request with a couple days notice.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:28 AM

Well I had Comcast for the internet and my cable. The only extra channel I had on the cable besides the basic was HBO. The bill was fine at first and then years later, I'm paying $148.00 a month for just the internet ($49.00 a month). Last week we switched to the Dish and bundled it with Embarq (the only option you have for phone service hre - what a rip-off) but anyway, now I am paying $155.00 a month, but that includes DSL on the internet (just about the same speed as broadband), but more channels on the tv and two more connections in the house, Tivo, and the phone bill. I'm saving about $40 a month and getting more service. I say boo to Comcast, but that's my opinion.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

Gingersmom, I was looking at Comcast Internet service today and was surprised at their published download speed of 6 MBPS which is as you say is about the same speed as DSL.

Comcast is using 10 year old technology but is charging the same as other players in the broadband business are charging. For the same price, Comcast is clearly much slower than Verizon's FIOS offering of 20 MBPS and Cablevision's 15 MBPS--all for the same $44.95 a month. It would have beennice if at some point in time, the Villages recognized the evolution in broadband cabling and installed fiber optic cable underground. Without fiber, I fear that we'll be stuck with second rate Internet service forever, well it will seem like forever.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:43 AM

I switched over to Dish a couple years ago and then went with the Sprint DSL(now Embarq package) So far I like it. No problems. Speed is very good, 11 Mbps. :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.