Independent Fire District Cost Impact Information

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What about those that don’t have defibrillator?
I agree, you may sleep better if you vote no……………..
Several neighborhoods collected funds from residents and installed their own defibrillators. Many residents elected to contribute, some didn't. Still, we've had defibrillators for a couple of years and have trained individuals living throughout the neighborhood.

Paying your own way is a great way to go.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:35 AM

Thank you Don!
Old 07-18-2022, 11:16 AM
Default Independent Fire District Cost Impact Information

Thank you, Don, for a comprehensive explanation of the financial impact of an IFD on the taxpayer.

Disabled Veterans receive a discount on their Ad Valorem taxes, but not on other assessments. So, if my analysis of your post is correct, a new IFD will be an increase in taxes on disabled Vets.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:57 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread is about the funding of the fire departments. If you want to discuss the hospital there’s already a thread for that. Posts have been removed.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:07 PM
Default Thank you, Don.

Don,
Thank you for your appraisal of this sensitive subject matter. You thought process is clear on the issue. I worked on a Fire Consolidation of seven fire departments in the North Shore of Milwaukee. It was tried 3 times and failed. The forth time was a charm.

As with any major undertaking, the final figures on what it will cost is always a consideration that is different to each resident. The more information one is provided with helps with the final decision. On November 8th, The Sumter County residents of The Villages will be asked to vote.

No, the answer is not easy however the long term effects on coverage, response time, transparency, control and style of Fire Department each resident wants is tied to the vote. Continue to gather information and vote wisely.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
May I point out an error in your epigram from Thomas Paine’s “Common Sense”?

You quote it as “Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our voices.”

The correct word is VICES, not VOICES. The role of government is keeping us from exercising our bad habits, not taping our mouths shut.
Good catch! I never noticed the typo, thank you for bringing it to my attention. It does make a huge difference.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-18-2022, 05:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
Let's presume for a moment that voters reject the IFD in November. What happens then? I've not seen discussion on this issue.
Then things continue as they are now and there is no change in the FD structures. Sumter County will continue to have the ultimate control over the majority of the VPSD budget. Both FDs will continue to move forward with providing the ambulance services to their respective customers.
www.goldwingnut.com
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-18-2022, 05:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Further, who will run these depts, are new positions being considered.
( High salaries ? )
For SCFD no changes in the department structures are planned that I am aware of beyond bringing on extra EMS staff to staff the county run ambulances. For VPSD, direct the question to Kenny Blocker, District Manager.
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 07-18-2022, 05:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Well done, may I add, you should compare fire cost services in lake county next door as well per Capita. Currently per residence it's $201 and villagers pay 124
As I stated in the original post, the $124 MSBU only covers about $9.5M of the nearly $40M of the combined fire department budgets, the rest comes from the General Fund. I haven't Looked into Lake County's budget (busy enough with Sumter) but would assume it is a similar case. Just comparing the $201 to the $124 is NOT an accurate comparison of the actual costs of running the fire departments.
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 07-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikreb View Post
Thanks Don. An in-depth explanation of the PWAC split would be appreciated as well.
Perhaps after the August primary election when I have a little more time on my hands. Remind me then and I'll be happy to go over it in detail.
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 07-18-2022, 06:07 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

copied from the District website

"Each parcel will be charged $124. The additional needed funding will be generated with $0.75 per $1000 of relative improvement value in (market or ‘just’ value minus land value) in a second tier. In addition to the ‘Simplified Funding’, The Villages Independent Fire Control and Rescue District will have the legal ability to generate funding via millage which is an ad-valorem assessment, meaning that it is based on the taxable value of your home. This is capped at one (1) mill which is equivalent to $1 for every $1,000 of the assessable value of residential and commercial properties. This would mean the Board could levy 0 mills or any millage in between to a maximum of 1 mill. Under the purview of the District, these revenue methods will provide enhanced transparency in identifying exactly how much you are paying to fund the services received.

So, will I be paying more?

The following chart provides sample comparisons of the potential maximum levy for fire and EMS services that would be provided by the District of actual properties within the proposed District boundaries (does not include amenity fee). As you can see, the annual increase varies based on the relative improvement value.

Current Process Proposed Process Annual Difference
Patio Villa $171.70 $299.50 $127.80
Patio Villa $196.52 $329.50 $132.98
Courtyard Villa $261.56 $450.45 $188.89
Courtyard Villa $156.58 $313.11 $156.53
Designer $244.16 $432.99 $188.83
Designer $338.19 $628.39 $290.20
Premier $640.16 $1,183.44 $543.28
Premier $721.42 $1,437.29 $715.87
Ranch $240.85 $404.86 $164.01
Ranch $257.61 $432.62 $175.01

Publix Plaza – Colony Blvd $11,664.35 $23,878.01 $12,213.66
Freedom Pointe $16,844.26 $31,173.67 $14,329.41
Brownwood Lofts $19,404.87 $34,780.16 $15,375.29
What will I be getting with the annual increase?

The Villages Public Safety Department heard from the thousands of residents that they wanted better services and response times than they were receiving from the current transport and service provider. This budget was created to include the revenues and expenditures to provide those comprehensive services, consistent to the higher level of services that residents of The Villages expect in all areas of their lifestyle. Most notably, the increased expenses account for the assumption of ambulance and transport services, as well as funding to support future fire stations, apparatus and personnel to maintain a constant state of readiness in this ever-growing community.

If I am no longer paying taxes to Sumter County for fire service, will my Sumter County taxes be reduced?

Only the Sumter County Board of County Commissioners can respond as to their plan for taxing in Sumter County. We urge you to contact them with your questions or concerns by attending a meeting or visiting their website at Sumter County, FL - Official Website | Official Website. "

Again, this information is currently on the Village Community Development Districts
Old 07-18-2022, 06:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
1. The cost will be established by unelected people, not necessarily from TV.
2. The actual cost per homeowner won’t be known until June 2023.
3. The assessment will be based on actual home values instead of assessed value. Who determines them?

While Mr. Wiley’s response is long, he failed to address why so many were concerned about the cost last Thursday. If he was there, why didn’t he speak up?

If you thought the 25% tax increase over the roads was bad, you haven’t seen anything yet.

I think more of us would be interested in the cost for one fire department in Sumter county instead of two.
1. The costs are determined by the accounting and budget departments of Sumter County and the district office. These are not elected individuals but paid professionals on the staff of both, who have been doing this for years for every budget. IF your comment about "not necessarily from TV" is referring to the elected officials that will make up the IFD board, you are mistaken, the governor will appoint the initial board (through the appointment process in place by the state), these board members will have to meet all the eligibility requirements as they would to run for the office including where they live, just as I had to to be considered for appointment as County Commissioner in District 5.

2. Correct, those numbers will take some time to determine, district staff is working on the VPSD IFD costs but can't determine the final millage rate until June 30, 2023 when property value determinations are completed and certified by the County Property Appraiser. The reduction in the ad valorum millage rate on your tax bill will not be determined until then for the same reason and because the SCFD operating costs have to be determined. A lot of the SCFD costs have to be calculated because many costs are not necessarily determined by department but as a part of the overall county budget, things like vehicle servicing, IT support, and staff support costs. Also not known is the actual number of homes that will be taxed next year, more are added every day.

3. The values are determined by the Sumter County Property Appraiser, Mr. Joey Hooten (and staff), who is an elected official of Sumter County.

The cost of combining both fire departments into one would be significant, but not so much in dollars but in service. All residents would receive the same services and as such many of the additional services provided by VPSD would have to be eliminated, or if added to SCFD services all residents of Sumter County would feel the increased cost. Also, these two fire departments have significantly different operating models VPSD is geared for an older urban community and SCFD is more responsive to a younger more rural population.

Yes, I was there, I was in the audience the same as all the rest. That was the time for the District 2 and 4 candidates to speak, it was not an open forum.
www.goldwingnut.com

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 07-18-2022 at 06:23 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 07-18-2022, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
copied from the District website

So, will I be paying more?

The following chart provides sample comparisons of the potential maximum levy for fire and EMS services that would be provided by the District of actual properties within the proposed District boundaries (does not include amenity fee). As you can see, the annual increase varies based on the relative improvement value.

Again, this information is currently on the Village Community Development Districts
The table is based on 0.71 mils of current property tax allocated to fire and EMS service. Commissioner Wiley sets this number closer to 1.66 mils. If Commissioner Wiley's numbers come to pass then the increase under the independent district will be much less than shown in the table.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-18-2022, 09:12 PM

I’m glad that our 2 fire departments will also provide timely transport service vs the previous 3rd party company. This should prove to save lives❤️
Old 07-19-2022, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well done, may I add, you should compare fire cost services in lake county next door as well per Capita. Currently per residence it's $201 and villagers pay 124
The Villages would pay $124 plus $.75 per thousand. This is where the proposed 9.1% county tax cut comes from because they won’t have to pay it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.