Is this info correct??

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 PM

We bought three years ago. Ages 51 and 48, had visited three times and bought right after the third visit. We went out three times with the same Villages sales rep each time to look at homes. When she knew we were serious about buying she got "permission" from the powers that be to allow us to purchase. We do not live there full time yet but will in two years. Still, I never got the impression we could not live there sooner if we wanted to.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Could be that the 20% federal requirement has been met. If it hasn't it would be illegal to bar someone under 55. Once met, it is the builder's option. When it looked like there might be issues with people being able to qualify (like 2 years ago), TV pretty much was taking anyone who could pay. Now, it seems to be getting fussy again -- they've found people are willing to buy here regardless of the market nationwide.

Guess you could find someone you trust to put on the deed over 55 and then remove them after you hit 55? Or did they say they had to live in the house? Also wonder if things are as stringent for pre-owned homes? Hmmm .... time to do some checking.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Sage

The Villages isn't a 55 plus community. Look at the main website. We are "Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown...The Villages is an active retirement community located in sunny central Florida."

http://www.thevillages.com/AboutUs/aboutus.htm
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Sage

Some years ago a private development, such as an apartment complex, could limit the residents to "adult only," to keep out families with children. Then Congress passed the Fair Housing Act that provided that families with children could not be barred from renting. The only exemption was for "over 55" communities. In order for over-55 developments to be in compliance with the law no more than 20% of the residents may be under the age of 55.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
The Villages isn't a 55 plus community. Look at the main website. We are "Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown...The Villages is an active retirement community located in sunny central Florida."

http://www.thevillages.com/AboutUs/aboutus.htm
The Fair Housing Act requires a seniors development to "publish and follow policies and procedures that demonstrate an intent to be housing for persons 55 and older". However, does it specifically require that the "55+" designation be stated on the development's website? Our TV Salesperson told us it was a 55+ community.

If it is, and if TV is near the legal age restriction, that would explain why TV would turn away sales at this time for households not meeting the age criteria, even while having allowing some such sales when TV's age ratio was different.

If TV were not a 55+ community, I don't know why the sales staff would say it is or why TV would turn down sales for households not meeting the age criteria. Would TV even legally be able to turn down <55 age households if it were not?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Sage

When I visited TV for the first time last year in July 3 months before I turned 50, I was accompanying 2 over age 55 friends who were looking at pre-owned homes for sale. We attended several open houses conducted by TV sales reps. and MLS real estate agents. I asked both the TV sales reps. and the MLS real estate agents if a single person with no kids under 55 could buy in TV -- all agents said no problem, just realize no one under the age of 19 can live in your house (but visits of less than 30 days are fine for those under 19). Maybe things have changed since last summer for buyers under 55?

This July I'm renting in the Village of Chatham. I told the owner than I'm 50, will that be a problem? Not a problem for him. The other 2 owners I contacted about their rentals for July also told me that a renter aged 50 was not a problem for them either. If do reach a point before I turn 55 that I'm ready to open up the checkbook and buy in TV, I will have to see what happens. May have to stop coloring my hair...
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Could be that the 20% federal requirement has been met. If it hasn't it would be illegal to bar someone under 55. Once met, it is the builder's option. When it looked like there might be issues with people being able to qualify (like 2 years ago), TV pretty much was taking anyone who could pay. Now, it seems to be getting fussy again -- they've found people are willing to buy here regardless of the market nationwide.

Guess you could find someone you trust to put on the deed over 55 and then remove them after you hit 55? Or did they say they had to live in the house? Also wonder if things are as stringent for pre-owned homes? Hmmm .... time to do some checking.

Redwitch,

You may be correct -- perhaps TV is being stringent with the age 55 rule for new construction and not being stringent with selling pre-owned homes to those under 55. What if an under 55 buyer put an elderly parent(s) or an over age 55 sibling on the deed, but the parent(s)/sibling never actually moved into the house? After the deal closed, would TV do a home inspection to see if the over 55 person was actually residing in the home?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm well under the 55 age requirement, we had to buy a pre-owned house. No new house was part of the requirement. No one under 19 years of age can stay longer then 30 days a year. We also had to sign a lot of paper work stating we were under 55 years old, I already knew that. Love coming to my villa about three to four weeks a year.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken24 View Post
I'm well under the 55 age requirement, we had to buy a pre-owned house. No new house was part of the requirement. No one under 19 years of age can stay longer then 30 days a year. We also had to sign a lot of paper work stating we were under 55 years old, I already knew that. Love coming to my villa about three to four weeks a year.
Ken24, When I visited TV last year, 2 agents, one from TV and the other an MLS agent, also said I would have to sign extra paperwork if I were to buy in TV before I turned 55.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Gold member

Below is a link to the March 2010 POA Bulletin. Go to page 10 and read the Editors Note it explains the over 55 Federal regulations. On page 10 it is in the upper right hand corner labeled Editors Note. The POA is The Villages Property Owners Association.

http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201003.pdf
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Platinum member

Just FYI... My wife and I were both 49 when we bought with no problems. We moved in later in the year.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was just reviewing my Offering Plan for TV.
#4 states:
"Age-Restricted Community"
The Villages is intended as a housing community for persons fifty-five years of age and older. At least one resident within the household must be fifty-five years of age or older......"
They do make it clear. This was as of this past January.
And this was in the Villages Of Sumter Purchase Agreement:
#18 "Buyer understands that Seller provides a housing community intended for persons 55 years of age and over. Buyer certifies that at least one resident within the household will be at least 55 years of age, and that the information concerning the resident's date of birth previously given is accurate."

That's the scoop. All I know.....I am eligible....turned 55 how many years ago? I'll never tell!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Could be that the 20% federal requirement has been met. If it hasn't it would be illegal to bar someone under 55.
I believe this is misstated and can cause confusion. An over 55 community has no requirement to fill 20% of the households with folks under 55. A previous post from Skybo has a link for more information.

Reading all of this, I am not sure we can take as fact that anything has changed since we bought our home. When we were looking for a home in 2007, we were told by our agent from TV that we would not be able to buy a new home as we were under 55. We would have to buy used, why the distinction makes no sense to me?

When we found our new home that we wanted to buy and got serious about the purchase, the agent was still not clear if this was OK. He thought we may have to sign some extra paperwork, etc.

In the end there was no issue, there was no extra paperwork and we have been loving our home since. At the time we were 52 and 53.

Does anyone know of any person who was serious about buying and not allowed to because they were under 55? I have never heard of a story like that, but it may have happened.....

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-19-2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: dummy typer
Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Default under 55

We came and visited when we were approximately 48-49...just came to check out the place as the DVD just had to be exaggerating - right!?

Anyway, told the sales rep that met us our intentions that day and our ages. She took half a day knowing we had no purchasing plans. Long story short, we loved it and started stopping by on each of our trips to visit family further south...when we decided we would ultimately buy, asked if we would be able to go ahead and purchase since we wouldn't be 55 at that time (also not retiring for few years). Our agent came back several weeks later with the permission for us to buy before turning 55.

We ended up purchasing a model home in St. Charles last April at 52. I know we were signing lots of papers, but don't think any more than other house purchases...I have been told about the 80/20 rule as well. Something to do with tax dollars - if a community completely restricts according to age then no tax dollars will be used for any of the infrastructure (hope I got that right - or at least close)...maybe someone can clarify.

If people are being turned down now, maybe the community is falling below the 80/20 threshold.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage

I doubt that the Villages is anywhere near 20% occupied by under 55. Somewhere recently I recall reading that the average (or was it median?) age was 67.

Certainly for new homes the average purchase age is lower than the overall average age of Villagers but I believe we are well under 20% Village-wide.

Frank....perhaps your friend might try a call to the closing department or McLin Burnsed legal folks. Sounds like he got garbled info from the sales rep.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.