Info Overload: Differences in Villages and areas?

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I am a non resident, not yet visited. Have spent some time poring over TV maps, looking at neighborhoods and roads. Paralysis by analysis has set in.

Trying to identify neighborhoods to avoid (turnpike noise, industrial plants/jails nearby, apartment complexes and high rental proportions, etc.), but still be relatively close to shopping and entertainment.

I understand the majority of new construction is occurring in the south. In 10 years, what will be a central location in the (fairly) newer areas of TV? Assuming "build-out" is actually defined and not changing all the time due to new land purchases and on-going construction, where might the northern part of the southern-most section of the Villages be? Before the recent large shift in southern growth, the most desirable area was near the center of 466a and 466. Where do you think that area might be in 10 years (which are probably being built now or recently or soon)?

Thanks.
Thinking about your current hometown. What do you like about where you live? Do you want to be in the center of your town? Or do you wish you were more convenient to shopping? Maybe closer to major roadways & highways? After all, once you are settled in, this becomes your hometown. Being able to easily get to conveniences may be more important than nightly music, boutiques & bars!
Come down & check it out! You’ll love it! Good luck!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
I am a non resident, not yet visited. Have spent some time poring over TV maps, looking at neighborhoods and roads. Paralysis by analysis has set in.

Trying to identify neighborhoods to avoid (turnpike noise, industrial plants/jails nearby, apartment complexes and high rental proportions, etc.), but still be relatively close to shopping and entertainment.

I understand the majority of new construction is occurring in the south. In 10 years, what will be a central location in the (fairly) newer areas of TV? Assuming "build-out" is actually defined and not changing all the time due to new land purchases and on-going construction, where might the northern part of the southern-most section of the Villages be? Before the recent large shift in southern growth, the most desirable area was near the center of 466a and 466. Where do you think that area might be in 10 years (which are probably being built now or recently or soon)?

Thanks.
With any IMPORTANT decision, information over load is a common, a normal state of affairs.

Realize it is all a matter of OPINION. Add to that what I call decision bias. I did that, my decision was/is the best. That applies to all.

They have the villages trial. They rent you a new property at reasonably low cost. We had a PLAN, we had TIME. We did that three times, over three years. The old expression and there are many with the same wisdom-measure twice and cut once.

Assuming there is more than one involved. I would suggest writing your thoughts down and then switching lists and discussing in. Writing things down makes people think and eliminate emotion. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. My wife has a license, she drives a golf cart and does it well. I don't know why but she will not drive a car. I would not be happy dropping her off for the this club, or that club or whatever. Where we are,
we have three grocery stores, two with in roughly 3 miles. The third is ????? about 9 miles and she/we go by golf cart. We have the library and government offices three miles away. Three pools, a walk to one of the larger rec centers and a mile or three to several more. Everything is a compromise including budget.

Yes, prices are going up. For many, assuming you have a home you will or have sold to move here, that too is or has gone up. The increased cost here is of set by the cost of staying where you are. Many forget or ignore that reality.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
Lately, the Riff Raff is creeping in all over many retail areas near SS.
Stay away from Walmart stores on 27/441.
I do all my shopping in the Southern areas.

Maybe, breaking it down by age group is another criterion,
Spanish Springs has older residents .
Lake Sumter Landing bit younger.
Brownwood younger again.
Fenney is (will be?) youngest.
Not a rule set in stone, but a guideline.
I used to think the same way about the age thing, but first hand experience has proven otherwise. We live between LSL and SS and in the last 6 plus years I have observed a significant change in our neighborhood. When we moved in we were the youngsters in a rather old neighborhood. The aging related housing turnover has been rapid. Our neighborhood has transformed into a relatively young age relative to other parts of the Villages, and we are now about average to slightly older in our neighborhood. With the rate of housing turnover, in a few short years, the North of 466 area could be one of the younger age populated areas within the Villages.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:13 AM

I agree. Unless you actually experience it, you won't get the "feel". Rent one for a month and really visit as many open houses as you can. To each their own.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:14 AM
Default Take the bus

Quote:

Thanks.
There are tour busses that highlight each section. I took the bus and toured the different sections and settled on the Lake Sumter area. Why. 22 minutes by golf cart to Spanish Springs, 25 minutes to Brownwood. 15 minutes either way by car to major chain shopping. Home Depot, Lowes, you name it. Do you golf? 30+ courses available by golf cart under 30 minutes, most under 20. I can enjoy all 3 town center by golf cart. Regional rec centers are 10 minutes from me. Doctors offices, dentist, chiropractors, drug stores, all about 10 minutes by cart. I agree with one of the posters. You have NO idea until you come here and experience it.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

Plan to come down at least twice, for a week or two.

Rent in different areas. Travel around, see what you like about different areas.
Hard to judge variables based on the internet. For example, some of the places around Brownwood are probably close to the turnpike, but you can’t hear the traffic.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
Sounds like you want to be in the middle of things. I would weigh other factors as well. I have friends in Fenny that are sorry they bought there. Too much noise, houses too close together, etc. I live just south of 466. The quiet and convenience can’t be beat. Why not rent first? That will give you time and perhaps avoid buyer’s remorse.
Have to agree on the renting comment. Ours is a later in life marriage and we moved here from Tampa and Orlando with a lot of history and knowledge on TV. But we did not make the more serious decisions on what type of house to buy and in what area until we actually lived here for 90 days.

We rented a Villa by Colony just north of 466A (new construction back in 2013 was just south of 466A) , and my wife went to work while I spent the morning on the computer and the afternoon driving by the most promising. Then on Saturday we would get with our realtor for actual tours. Market was about as hot back then as it is today so we never had a long time to think about any house which is why you need to be here to make any real decisions on the house and location.

In the first month, we looked at what activities we liked (tennis, country club golf and polo for example) and thus decided that we wanted north of 466 first and between 466 and 466A second as we liked the older areas and have never regretted it -- probably because we took out time making the decisions on what house and where.

I have a shop off of property for my car hobby (no TV homes we can afford support 7 cars), but other than that, our designer in Chatham is great for us.

Just the thoughts of one 8 year resident.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM

You can't understand or appreciate The Villages until you've been here. Don't overthink this. Once you're here for awhile and with a good Villages Representative you'll have a much better appreciation of the community. Believe me the good Representatives do not pressure you. Then if you want you can go home and do additional research. It will make a lot more sense.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

It's hard to go wrong with your choice of Villages. The developers have made great efforts to make it an active retirement paradise everywhere. If extraneous sound is a concerned you may want to not be near railroads (west side), pickleball courts, town squares (music finishes at 9 though), and yappy dog neighbours. The north has more mature trees, the south has more nature trails. But as it has been said, take your time, visit all around for a month and you'll figure it out.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
Sounds like you want to be in the middle of things. I would weigh other factors as well. I have friends in Fenny that are sorry they bought there. Too much noise, houses too close together, etc. I live just south of 466. The quiet and convenience can’t be beat. Why not rent first? That will give you time and perhaps avoid buyer’s remorse.
Having not visited yet I'm curious what about Fenny makes it too noisy. Can't be the turnpike. What about the location of your friends home makes it noisy?

Noise is a major concern of mine and until I visit all I have to go by is looking at a map and speculating on what might be a problem.

Having said that I've lived near Logan airport for 20 years and I barely notice the planes unless they are flying right over head.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Plan to come down at least twice, for a week or two.

Rent in different areas. Travel around, see what you like about different areas.
Hard to judge variables based on the internet. For example, some of the places around Brownwood are probably close to the turnpike, but you can’t hear the traffic.
Brownwood is nowhere near the turnpike. SR 44 runs on the south side of the Brownwood Town Square, but I'm not familiar with any houses that are close enough to 44 to hear traffic. US 301 is too far away to hear traffic as well. North of Brownwood, on the extreme west side of TV there may be an issue with train whistles.

This place is so large that forums like TOTV cannot begin to describe it. Definitely come for a visit and take in as much as you can, but better yet, if feasible, rent for a month or 2. I bought my house on the 4th day of my lifestyle visit, but I was already familiar with TV---my brother, my niece's in-laws, and an employee all lived here. I wouldn't advise that for a neophyte.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Having not visited yet I'm curious what about Fenny makes it too noisy. Can't be the turnpike. What about the location of your friends home makes it noisy?

Noise is a major concern of mine and until I visit all I have to go by is looking at a map and speculating on what might be a problem.

Having said that I've lived near Logan airport for 20 years and I barely notice the planes unless they are flying right over head.
Fenney is not noisy. Come see for yourself.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
There are just too many variables. Visiting is the key to your choice. Eventually 470 (which was renamed Central Parkway recently) will be the “halfway point”. But who knows? We just moved to Citrus Grove because of amenities that have been confirmed (hospital, Eastport, Eziel, Sawgrass, etc.). But I have to tell you, I am very concerned about the lack of retail and chain restaurants down here. Hopefully when Meggison and 470 meet that will open up some retail to the east…
Old 10-18-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Fenney is not noisy. Come see for yourself.
March/April next year.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:35 PM
Veteran member

You are right, if you buy south of 44, in time you will be in the middle of the villages. Look at the developers map and it shows the boundary lines of the villages and it’s much farther east and south compared to now. Check out Golden Wingnut YouTube videos on what areas are being developed now and in the next couple of years. There are no secrets, they start grading the new areas a couple of years in advance. We live in St Catherine south of 44 and according to the videos, work has started many miles east of the dead end road near us which is probably 2 years out before homes being sold
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, villages, neighborhoods, time, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.