Information on solar panels

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2020, 07:44 PM
Sage

I have run the numbers a couple of times and most recently came up with a payback period of about 10 years. The problem is solar panels are still experiencing deflation plus the lost opportunity costs of the money makes it a hard sell. If your decision is not driven by finances then you should go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholady View Post
Does anyone know anything about solar panels? Good idea? Bad idea? Would they blow away in a hurricane? Do they really save on electric bills?
Old 06-04-2020, 12:13 AM

Wow! Thanks to all of you. Your answers were terrific and most informative! I think you talked me out of it but I’m certainly more informed than I was before this discussion.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 AM
DAIII
Lightbulb Solar

Greetings,

I have recently (late 2019) installed solar in my 2 bed patio villa. (Tesla) which did an amazing job out of Orlando. my home mostly natural gas (AC, Fridge, Spa * on electric) so I needed a smaller system 14 panels and a battery. - fabulous! I suggest do your own research and you can start at Tesla's Website-
*Tesla Vehicle , Lithium Cart and bikes (included) essentially living on the sun.
The Tesla system is far superior to the rest (read below) and has an automatic switch- meaning off grid within a nano second you're moved to battery (power loss is a thing of the past)

In my northern home* Tesla doesn't service this far north and I have a 29 panel SUNPOWER system with SONNEN battery 2018 (same home design, larger but mostly natural gas) it sheds winter snow like a metal roof- FUN! The Sunpower system has a mechanical switch so when the power goes out it's a 2 minute switch (automatic still but dated tech) *was featured in green energy magazine

Both systems have tempered glass panels (no plastics) and massive 20-25 yr warranty

It works great for a snow bird, as both homes make power 12 months and I'm using each home for 6 months. The system builds credits and yes - no bill or small 'connection' 10 fee monthly.

# 1 I did it to be more self sufficient (off grid)
# 2 The northern states can lose power for weeks in a brutal ice storm (a generator needs to be ON to power a single device- solar battery only needs the sun to rise)
# 3 The cost was third to me..money in the bank isn't going to help with staying warm on day 12 of power loss at -20 degree temps. The fire department distributing flyers of open shelters was enough for me to think solar/battery.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:15 AM
Default Solar panels

I have nine panels on my roof and it has reduced my bill about 40%.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:22 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

it appears that, given the avg age of residents, the objective decision would be $ driven therefore its not worth it - subjective decision is feel good
i'm unclear about fl being 'solar friendly' - does that mean tax credits ? if so, then those who refrain from solar would be, in effect, subsidizing those who engage - much as the tesla - who pays for free charging stations in various mall parking lots ? all shoppers pay
Old 06-04-2020, 06:31 AM

My Wife and I used to live in TV. We checked out a location close to TV, called Green Keys. All of their homes are totally powered by solar panels.
Go out and talk to owners, they will probably share information with you.
Good luck in your search for information!
Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
it appears that, given the avg age of residents, the objective decision would be $ driven therefore its not worth it - subjective decision is feel good
i'm unclear about fl being 'solar friendly' - does that mean tax credits ? if so, then those who refrain from solar would be, in effect, subsidizing those who engage - much as the tesla - who pays for free charging stations in various mall parking lots ? all shoppers pay
Which car charging stations have you seen that are free? Most of the ones I've seen require credit card or a debit type of card to use.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:40 AM
Sage

Tesla superchargers are no cost for many Model S and Model X owners. The policy has morphed several times over the past several years. They recently announced they are eliminating free supercharging for new Model S and Model X customers. Model 3 and Model Y owners pay for supercharging but may have received some free supercharging for referrals. Their rates are about 2x normal electric rates in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Which car charging stations have you seen that are free? Most of the ones I've seen require credit card or a debit type of card to use.

Last edited by biker1; 06-04-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 AM

Hi, I moved to TV last year and installed a new solar system in November. I'd be glad to give you a tour and answer any questions you may have.
The bottom line is that my payback will be approximately 10 years. Some people think that is too long and everything is about a quick payback. I heartily disagree.
I power my home, my pool, my car and even my golf cart with the energy of the sun.
One person can't change the path we're on, but I'm doing my part and that's what we can do.

Feel free to message me and thank you for asking the question
Old 06-04-2020, 07:01 AM
Default Not much savings

I have nine panels on my roof in the villages. My bill averaged about $35/mo for the last four months. My house is 1880 sq. I keep the A/C at 75*. I have a gas stove and gas heat. Electric dryer and oven. My savings is about 40%.
Do the math.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholady View Post
Does anyone know anything about solar panels? Good idea? Bad idea? Would they blow away in a hurricane? Do they really save on electric bills?
While solar panels may not pay off for you, one thing that WILL pay off, if you haven’t done it yet, is to replace your light bulbs with LEDs, especially if you have lights you leave on for hours per day. You can your lighting cost up to 90%. The LED might cost you a couple hundred for the entire house, but you will make that up in a year, probably. Get the color balance that is right for you. I usually get warmer lights. Get dimmer LEDs if the light is on a dimmer switch. Get three-way LEDs if your light use three-way bulbs. Get natural sunlight LEDs for your garage, as the light is more accurate. If you use those for your bathroom, though, you might feel that you have suddenly aged.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:29 AM
Default Solars

We here in Pine Hills checked out Solar last year. Would make sense in the long run , but as many have said - Florida is still in tune with 'fossil fuel' industry. You also need a symbiotic relationship with your 'local' electric provider; that wasn't possible with City of Leesburg. Maybe the whole development south of Rte 44 could have been set up solar after having discussions with standard electric providers. Lot of states are doing it.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 AM

I had solar panels installed in 2015. Added panels in 2016. I have 39 panels. I have service from SECO energy in Sumter County. My bills pre-2015 were in the $100 to $250 range across the year. Current monthly runs around $30 to 55. My system makes around 12.9 Mwh per year. Call Jack’s Solar of Ustis for current costs. You can do the math from there to figure if it’s right for you. Saves around 8 tons of Co2 per yr. SMA of Germany/USA makes the equipment and supplies the computer interface. They have great customer help. If your interested let me know for further info.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, it is a bad idea. It will not save you money on a life cycle basis because the payback period will probably be 15 years or longer. Also, it may increase the cost to replace the shingles on your roof. And, they may make it harder to sell your house because some people don't want them.
Also, when you get a new roof, you have to pay to have them removed and then reinstalled.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM
DAIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauJangles View Post
Also, when you get a new roof, you have to pay to have them removed and then reinstalled.
The shingles under the panels never need replaced. (UV kills shingles) the solar array protects from UV , thus you need to only feather the new shingles around the array.
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, panels, idea, information, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.