Input on Epoxy or alternatives for garage floor

Input on Epoxy or alternatives for garage floor

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Sage

More important than the floor a/c the garage--in about 1 month the garage will be too hot to care about the floor

For my two cents worth
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM

Default For my two cents worth

Re: epoxy
You do not say if it is a new house or not. If, new, I would wait a month or two to be sure the cement has cured and there are no cracks due to settling.

We bought a new place. WIFE was not happy that I had my lathe, table saw, work table delivered to our living room-go figure. I waited a month for the cement to cure and then a month for the epoxy to cure. At that time, I came home and wife could not understand why she could not move my about 400 lb worktable and saw at ????? 200 lbs or so.

Actually it is and is not epoxy. The color part is epoxy but the clear coat is polyester. Reason, I'm not sure but polester is cheaper and does not yellow as epoxy does.
So, your wear surface is polyester.

We've had ours for four years, I beat the suffen out of it and it looks brand new. We do not have the traction grit added to the coating. It is true the floor is very slippery if it gets wet. soap, oil dramatically worsens this effect.

Would I add the grit? Frankly, I don't know. I would imagine when you/I move heavy stuff the grit would show more wear.

MAY BE IMPORTANT-I know that, battery acid, will damage an epoxy painted floor, As I write, I wonder if paint remover or lye-used to remove paint and to open drains would damage it. I would expect so. I would also expect that an epoxy painted floor is difficult it no impossible to restore damages.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

I had Epoxy and love the look
Old 03-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Sage

I’ll keep mine floated concrete. When it gets spotted, I won’t care. Besides, I use my garage for its intended purpose, not trying to keep up with the Jones’s keeps more money where it belongs, in my bank, not the garage floor. Although I do like the way it looks, I’d just destroy it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 04:08 AM
Sage

same o, here, its just a garage--vac or blow the dirt off, whatever floats your boat--
Old 03-31-2018, 04:57 AM
Sage

Our preowned garage floor was already coated at nine years it still looks new, not slippery when wet, looks nice. But i would just keep it as a garage floor if I were buying new. Just my thoughts, it’s a garage.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:13 AM

We'll soon be moving to Fenney, but the garage floor of the house we're selling has a "speckle" epoxy finish - My only suggestion would be get a darker gray finish - it will look cleaner and hide tire marks.
Closed Thread

Tags
floor, epoxy, home, garage, alternatives