instant Hot Water

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 AM

Doesn't bother me at all. I just changed my routine. I brush my teeth, clean toilet get ready and then I have nice hot water. I had electric stove for many years but now I am getting use to gas. Didn't get a whole house water filter either. I don't feel it is needed. I drink water from the refrig with filter. I am much more concerned about the quarry blasting at Fenney which shakes my home, lack of recycling and the wait to get stores, golf paths and some restaurants. That will all come, I hope.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Default Hot Water

I added a circulating pump (mounts on top of the water heater) to get hot water quicker. You can set the timer for the times you normally use more hot water. I used Anthony Torri Plumbing (352-352-330-5900). Cost was $650.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Default Instant Hot Water question

I’ve been living in The Villages for about 15 months. There is a group called “DIY” (Do It Yourself) that meets the third Wednesday of every month at Bradenton at 6 PM. They help you to deal with any issues that you may be able to even do yourself. As villager you are welcome to attend and bring any expertise to the table, as well as problems.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Have had the same question. Seems like incredible quantities of water are wasted city wide. Maybe a builder could educate us. I have assumed they run the pipes under the house in the cool ground and don’t insulate them. If they ran them in the attic it seems the water would at least be warm and if they insulated those. Solutions might be installing a continuously circulating hot water loop like they have in multiple apt. units. Or maybe an instant hot water unit under the sink. For the cost of a little pipe insulation I suspect they are wasting a great amount is costly water.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

You know this is one thing I don't like about TV. When they build homes here they do the very minimal & we pay top dollar for our homes. I don't know where everyone else is from but you would think the builders here would know by now that this is an issue. They keep telling us that water in Florida is getting very minimal & water isn't cheap here. I run my water in my shower for 1min. 45 sec. to 2 min. to get hot water. I bet there's more people here than not that run the water as long as I do & TV keep telling us don't waste water. To me to buy a circulating pump for $200. dollars then have a plumber come in & install it, I bet you would have close to $300. in it. To me the builders should build a home that you wouldn't have to do this. You would think they could figure a way to get the hot water heater more in the middle of the house our they should install these $200. circulating pumps in, because I sure they could install them for half the price or less. I know a lot of people won't agree with me but it just seems like they don't do any more to a home than the minimum to sell them at top dollar. Sorry to be so negitive!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

The wait for hot water at the kitchen was certainly a surprise. Master bath shower is really close to the hot water tank so, not really an issue there.

The work around for us is we fill the bucket that we use to water the indoor plants before we wash dishes by hand or starting up the dishwasher.

We've had quotes from 1 plumber and an electrician...$700 +/- for the complete job
Old 11-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Default Circulator Pumps work but warm the cold water side

Have been running a Grundfos recirculating pump for about six months. We do get hot water sooner to some of the faucets. Aside from the small electrical cost of running the pump there is another downside to these systems. We already have a cold water problem in the summer months. You don't get cold water you get luke-warm water coming in to the house. These pumps make the problem even worse because they circulate hot water from the water heater through the cold water lines.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:53 PM

When we moved into our home, the previous owner already had an instant hot water spigot installed next to the faucet of our kitchen sink. Can I say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! I can't imagine not having it and waiting for the hot water. It appears to be a very simple fix.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:54 PM

When we moved into our home, the previous owner already had an instant hot water spigot installed next to the faucet of our kitchen sink. Can I say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! I can't imagine not having it and waiting for the hot water. It appears to be a very simple fix.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM

I have the Watts pump on my hot water heater in the garage. I plugged it into a Wemo outlet switch. Now I can tell Alexa or Google to turn the pump on before I go into the bathroom and a minute later I have hot water and I tell Alexa to turn the pump off. The pump never runs more than a few minutes.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 PM

Off topic but we too have just moved to TV's from Allentown, Pa
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
The wait for hot water at the kitchen was certainly a surprise. Master bath shower is really close to the hot water tank so, not really an issue there.

The work around for us is we fill the bucket that we use to water the indoor plants before we wash dishes by hand or starting up the dishwasher.

We've had quotes from 1 plumber and an electrician...$700 +/- for the complete job
$700 ! Yikes! The unit is $200 and (assuming you have an electrical outlet nearby) takes maybe 45 mins to install. There is a local guy who posts on "Nextdoor" who charges $125 to install a recirc pump (he did my sisters). I don't have his name handy but if you need it I can look it up. I assume you don't have a nearby outlet since you mentioned "electrician."
Old 11-19-2018, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It doesn't seem to be worth the effort to me, just to save a little time. I turn on the shower while I am brushing my teeth.
Water is a precious natural resource and you are letting it go down the drain with no purpose. /What a waste of perfectly good water!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I installed the Watts pump. It worked great for about 1 1/2 years then just quit. The pump cost me $200 at Lowes. I installed it myself, so no cost there. It was only warrantied for 1 year. I have never replaced it because I feel it costs less to just pay for the water.
The Watts circulating pump was already installed when we purchased our home. We have the kitchen faucet and the hall bathroom connected to the pump. We set the pump on a timer to come on at 6am and go off at 10pm. Works great.

The hall bathroom which is the furthest from the water heater would need a minute for the water to get warm then an additional 10 seconds to get full hot. That is just too much time wasted and certainly too much water wasted. Now the water is instant warm and only 10 seconds to full hot.

The way the Watts system works is that now it takes lots of time for the water to get full cold. That is the only draw back to the system.

Warning: DO NOT TURN OFF MAIN WATER WITHOUT TURNING OFF THE WATTS CIRCULATING PUMP! The pump is "lubricated" with water going through it. Without the water going through it, the internal parts burn up. We learned the hard way. We did replace the pump because we love the instant warm water at the two faucets furthest from the water heater.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
how about the energy wasted. when all that hot water is recirculating 24/7. the hot water will leave the tank at 100 degrees run through 100 feet of piping and return back to the tank at 80 degrees.
I was informed by our plumber that it is pennies worth of electric to run the Watts circulating pump, even on the two faucets in the house.

Tags
water, hot, instant, takes, faucets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.