instant Hot Water

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2018, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
When traveling we simply unplug it.
When traveling, rather than unplugging the pump, we just turn the dial to OFF. That way, the clock is the correct time when we return home from traveling. No need to reset the clock.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I don’t understand your comment. Legal? Kindly elaborate.
Removing the water restrictor will render the faucet or shower head "illegal". I say who is going to know? We removed the restrictor in our shower head in our NJ home. That made all the difference in the world for water pressure in the shower.

I think the faucets manufactured today locate water restrictors that are not accessible to the home owner but I may be wrong about that.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM

This is what we found out when we moved into our new home. We turned on the shower at what we thought was the appropriate temperature, but like your's it took forever to get warm water. What we found out on ours to make it much faster,we turned the hot water on in the shower full blast at first, and it took hardly anytime to get through the lines,then we adjusted it to fit our desired temperature.

Note to this is we have a very big massaging shower head so we don't know if that makes any difference or not about the pressure or not.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 AM

There isn't an electrical outlet near our HWH or I would definitely have one. It takes a very long time to get hot water in our house. We had it in CA and loved it. Water was expensive in CA and it really cut costs.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
When traveling, rather than unplugging the pump, we just turn the dial to OFF. That way, the clock is the correct time when we return home from traveling. No need to reset the clock.
CB,

Guess that means that I'm OFFICIALLY old-fashioned, and turned into my father...

I have a checklist in the laundry room for things to do to the house when gone for a few days or more, including unplugging the clothes washer, turning off the water valves to it, unplugging toaster oven, turning off HW heater circuit breaker, and unplugging the HW recirc pump - plus about 8 other tasks.

BTW re the required outlet near the WH to install the recirc pump - I installed an outlet for our pump and just did a neighbors. Less than $20 of materials, and easy to pick off the AC from the attic pull light source - takes less than an hour (in Designer house anyway) - the plumber will not do that elec job; needs to be done B4 pump install.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I will make sure I turn off pump when we travel regardless.

When we travel, we always turn off the main water. As I said in another post, we also turn off the circulation pump.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
The wait for hot water at the kitchen was certainly a surprise. Master bath shower is really close to the hot water tank so, not really an issue there.

The work around for us is we fill the bucket that we use to water the indoor plants before we wash dishes by hand or starting up the dishwasher.

We've had quotes from 1 plumber and an electrician...$700 +/- for the complete job
What complete job?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasyldynpa View Post
Off topic but we too have just moved to TV's from Allentown, Pa
Sent you a PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Default Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There have been a few threads on this topic, along with a reference to a detailed article on total cost. I am not going to comment, just suggesting that you do some research before installing the recirculating system. Our shower takes exactly 30 seconds to get hot water, and about 2 gallons of water.
Can I come take showers at your house Tink?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
Can I come take showers at your house Tink?
I think my wife would have something to say about that............

But as noted in another post, I turn on the hot water full, stand just outside the initially cold water, and as soon as I feel it start to get warm, I move the control to the normal temperature, and in 5 seconds I am in the shower.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I was raised and live in the country. We always conserve our delicious well water. I am right there with you.
I also was raised in country by my grandparents. We didn’t have hot water only to kitchen sink. For years all they had was well and cistern rain water collection. Finely when I was about 10 city water was ran close enough to connect. Thought we were in heaven not having to worry about running out of water.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:02 PM

The installation is not complicated. installation of the Bosch Model ES2.5, 2.5 Gallon mini tank hot water heater I installed for my kitchen sink. Your under sink conditions should be similar but might require a minor variation. I placed the heater inside a plastic tote that I cut down to use as a leak containment in the event of a minor drip. This type mini tank heater has a pressure relief valve that I connected with a flexible hose into a one gallon plastic container under the sink in the event the relief valve opens. The water temperature setting of the heater is adjustable, however for longer duration use of hot water, there will be some temperature reduction after about 30-45 seconds caused by dilution with the colder water stagnant in the pipes (from the hot supply) entering the heater. The temperature will soon increase again when the hot water supplied from the whole house tankless heater flows through the pipes into the Bosch mini tank heater then to the sink faucet.

This installation can also be duplicated under sink at the master bathroom for sink(s) only if space allows, an outlet for power would also have to be installed to power the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH1.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	78889  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bosch Mini tank ES2.5 Amazon.pdf (142.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:44 AM

In Desoto. One of new homes with 'instant-tankless-water heater'.
Village design engineers messed up on this realy bad.
Tankless heater is located at far end of garage. As far away as possible from any hot water usage. This location adds 15-20 feet of extra pipe to heat compared to those that have a Hot water tank.
The heater is also locked down to 120 degrees.
Hot water in resonable time is only a dream.
Also a recirculating pump would kill the efficiency design of a 'instant heat system'.
Only help I can see is:
1 raising the locked down temp to 130 or 140.
Install additional 'instant heat units inside house at needed locations.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, hot, instant, takes, faucets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.