instant Hot Water

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I don’t understand your comment. Legal? Kindly elaborate.
Federal law mandates that shower heads manufactured in the United States cannot output more than 2.5 gallons of water per minute. There are also Federal mandates for faucets and toilets. Believe it or not, there is actually a black market for illegal toilets.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Federal law mandates that shower heads manufactured in the United States cannot output more than 2.5 gallons of water per minute. There are also Federal mandates for faucets and toilets. Believe it or not, there is actually a black market for illegal toilets.
True, but federal law doesn't forbid you from removing the tiny little "water saver" washer in the shower head in fact many even include instructions on how to do just that. Modifying most toilets is just as simple for a "super flush."
Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I always disliked thankless water heaters.

That's one of the things I miss most down here since we have electric HW and no gas. The electric versions are terrible I'm told and need multiple electric lines run.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
True, but federal law doesn't forbid you from removing the tiny little "water saver" washer in the shower head in fact many even include instructions on how to do just that. Modifying most toilets is just as simple for a "super flush."
The newer shower heads can be modified to allow more flow, but I think it is a little more difficult than just removing a washer. Usually, you need to drill out the restrictor hole. Not that I would ever do that. But, where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Hello my anal brother

I just shut off the water when showering when I’m washing my face, shampooing my hair, and washing my body. This takes about 4 to 5 mins with the hot water running maybe 25 to 40 seconds. I am anal about order and time when showering (Which IMO saves a lot more water than bathing in tub in you’re own dirty water.) This saves more water IMO than the wait for hot water. I too sometimes gather water and water my tropical plants with it.
I was raised and live in the country. We always conserve our delicious well water. I am right there with you.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
The newer shower heads can be modified to allow more flow, but I think it is a little more difficult than just removing a washer. Usually, you need to drill out the restrictor hole. Not that I would ever do that. But, where there is a will, there is a way.
I can't speak for "all" but the 3 I have handled over the last year all had washers (well, not really a washer but a rubber edged disk with metal in the middle and a tiny hole) that you pop out. The 2 my sister just got which were very expensive "decorator" models were the same. They made a very noticeable difference in water volume/pressure from the shower head.
Sometimes you think you need to drill them out but if you take a small sharp pointed drywall screw and screw it into the restrictor hole 1 turn then yank on it it pops out without needing to drill.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I can't speak for "all" but the 3 I have handled over the last year all had washers (well, not really a washer but a rubber edged disk with metal in the middle and a tiny hole) that you pop out. The 2 my sister just got which were very expensive "decorator" models were the same. They made a very noticeable difference in water volume/pressure from the shower head.
Sometimes you think you need to drill them out but if you take a small sharp pointed drywall screw and screw it into the restrictor hole 1 turn then yank on it it pops out without needing to drill.
Thanks. But, actually, I'm pretty satisfied with the cheap, legal shower head that the builder installed. And, I shower every week, whether I need to or not. I think that the Federal law has worked because the newer shower heads and toilets seem to be designed to function better than ever, especially when you have good water pressure.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Unhappy FYI on return mixer valve

Just to be aware. I had a recirculating pump installed years ago and eventually the return mixer valve clogged up and the pump kept trying to pump water. Long story short the hot water line burst at an elbow in a closet wall and flooded closet, spare bedroom and garage. Luckily friends happened to check the house that day, as we were away. Shut off water from hot water tank before we had 60 gallons of warm water (tank set to low while away) over whole house. Cut short our Xmas visit with family
Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks. But, actually, I'm pretty satisfied with the cheap, legal shower head that the builder installed. And, I shower every week, whether I need to or not. I think that the Federal law has worked because the newer shower heads and toilets seem to be designed to function better than ever, especially when you have good water pressure.

If you showered more than once a week you might think differently
Old 11-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyor View Post
Just to be aware. I had a recirculating pump installed years ago and eventually the return mixer valve clogged up and the pump kept trying to pump water. Long story short the hot water line burst at an elbow in a closet wall and flooded closet, spare bedroom and garage. Luckily friends happened to check the house that day, as we were away. Shut off water from hot water tank before we had 60 gallons of warm water (tank set to low while away) over whole house. Cut short our Xmas visit with family

Yikes, I have read about the mixers clogging but never heard of a pipe explosion because of it! Maybe a poor "glue job" on that elbow contributed to it? Can't imagine that much pressure being present to cause that to burst. I will make sure I turn off pump when we travel regardless.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Smile

I just installed a Watts recirculating pump. My house (Aspen) was very slow in shower and kitchen to get hot water. Sometimes up to 60 to 90 seconds. VERY easy to install (had friend with experience with Sharkbite fittings) and set up.

Seems to work very well. Hot water in kitchen about 5 seconds now. Has timer to turn off at night. You can also install additional pressure valves on more sinks if you think you need it faster on those sinks.

So far very happy

JM
Old 11-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyor View Post
Bummer situation... that could have been a lot more of a problem for you.

W turned off our recirculating pump when gone for more than a couple of days.

Normally these type of pumps have a timer that controls the various times of day that it recirculates. It is easy to change or shut off. Otherwise your are re-heating water that is not going to be used.

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 11-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Gold member

Life is good no matter how long it takes to get hot water. Actually I never gave it much thought.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Life is good no matter how long it takes to get hot water. Actually I never gave it much thought.
For some of us life is BETTER than good with faster hot water!
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

I believe the pumps used are " circulator" pumps not "pressure" pumps, shouldn't increase the pressure in the system much if any...
Closed Thread

Tags
water, hot, instant, takes, faucets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.