Insulate garage?

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Has anyone installed or considered a solar attic fan like the ones SolarGuys installs? We're thinking of having them install one to remove the hot air from the attic.
These days it seems that "air sealing" the attic floor area has become a critical part of insulating.
My understanding is that attic fans are a no-go because they cause an increased negative air pressure in the living space.
In other words, they suck the air conditioned/heated air right out through the attic.
The air gets sucked out of the ceiling fan holes/can light holes/air vent leakage holes and outlet, light switch holes in the walls.

You wouldn't think it would make all that much difference, but evidently it does because of the attention now being placed on air sealing.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
Yep, and the foil insulation protected that area from the heat of the roof - so the insulation is near to the roof as opposed to heating up the area above the garage. Can't believe the difference in heat when i walkthrough to the non-foil area of the roof. Alos makes it,ot more comfortable when having to go up to the area above the garage to store or retrieve items. We used to have to wait till early morning to go up there but not anymore more.

Exactly 4 x8 sheets, just removed the support rails from the inside of the garage door, cut the sheets to size and put the rails back on. it was a 3-4 hour job.
Where did you find that foil insulation? It sounds a bit like the 4' wide wrap you use on heating/AC ducts. Maybe 1/2 inch think?

Thanks for the info. My home has the exact same issue!
Old 02-26-2021, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
These days it seems that "air sealing" the attic floor area has become a critical part of insulating.
My understanding is that attic fans are a no-go because they cause an increased negative air pressure in the living space.
In other words, they suck the air conditioned/heated air right out through the attic.
The air gets sucked out of the ceiling fan holes/can light holes/air vent leakage holes and outlet, light switch holes in the walls.

You wouldn't think it would make all that much difference, but evidently it does because of the attention now being placed on air sealing.
I wonder if those attic fans that simply move air from one end of the attic and out would work? We replaced one of the end vents up north with a fan driven one. It drew in air from one end of the attic and blew it out, so it did not suck AC air from below. With ridge vents that would seem to help..
Old 02-26-2021, 07:10 AM
Default Attic

Has anyone installed or considered a solar attic fan like the ones SolarGuys installs? We're thinking of having them install one to remove the hot air from the attic.

Save your money! 1) they are very expensive compared to electric fans. Even accounting for electricity. 2) they only work during the day. They do not work after sunset when the air is cooler. 3) In the winter they continue to work pulling the warm air out, when you actually want it there. 4) We did a lot of research before installing 2 electric attic fans and are glad we did. Solar Guys gave us a lot of scare tactics, including you won't be able to stand the noise, which is nonsense. Advice - have a roofing company do the installation vs an electrician.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:37 AM

I am installing a split system ac unit in the garage. I know most will think its a waste but keeping the garage around 80ish when unattended is great for controlling temp and as important, humidity for my tools and toys. Then if I want to do any work there I can drop it to what ever temp I like. Blown insulation in the space above and under the floor area is part of the work. I have this up North with no regrets.
For the garage doors, not yet fully considered, I think I will add the foiled foam panels myself. The doors are otherwise good and not needing replacement.
If AC wasn’t an option, I would still have insulated the space just keep the garage more tolerable and to reduce the heat pass thru to the house as we’re re in and out of the garage all the time.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Solar fans are not worth the money. If you put one in and it is near the other roof vents it sucks some air from the outside. Motors on them last a couple of years and the you have to replace them
Old 02-26-2021, 07:59 AM
Default Garage Insulation

I put radiant barrier in the attic over the garage as well as on the south facing garage doors. Lowered the temperature in the garage significantly.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
I wonder if those attic fans that simply move air from one end of the attic and out would work? We replaced one of the end vents up north with a fan driven one. It drew in air from one end of the attic and blew it out, so it did not suck AC air from below. With ridge vents that would seem to help..
I don't know the answers to your questions, but air going out must equal air coming in.

I cannot see any benefit of an attic fan.
I'm thinking if the hot air is expelled outdoors forcefully using an attic fan, then the air replacing it must come from somewhere. Ideally through the eaves, but in any case it will be the path of least resistance. It depends on the nuances of the individual house.

Also how wet is that air coming in?

A solar powered fan would move air out much more slowly, but the path of least resistance would still hold true. Aided by the effects of warm air rising in the summer.

Another thing to consider is moisture, condensation and mold.
If a hot attic was so bad, why don't you ever see white or light colored shingles?
Old 02-26-2021, 08:25 AM

The price of insulation here in Florida is twice the price in North Carolina. Your looking at over $40 dollars a roll. Waste of time and money.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Be careful. Some units draw so much air out that it will cause leakage from the climate controlled area and can make a huge increase in your utility bill.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:38 AM

Wow. Our home faces the same direction. We’re trying to determine best way to reduce garage temperature as air conditioner sweats plus the doors aren’t vented where a/c is stored.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:38 AM

When we had our house built we paid for extra insulation in the entire attic and in all the exterior walls including the garage, best money we ever spent. Cooler garage, but our heating and cooling costs are one third of our neighbors even set at the same Temps. I would put in the above garage insulation and think about having additional blown into the rest of the attic. Too late to upgrade insulation in the walls, but if you're building new, definitely get it.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A and A View Post
Hello Everyone,

Wanted to ask if there is any benefit to adding insulation above the garage. Not going to be used for anything other than car parking. Thanks.
YES! We moved here in 2005 and it was among the first things we did and did the work ourselves. (We were on the young end of pre-retirement age.) It lowered the temperature in our kitchen and 5-10 degrees.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Without A/C you're never going to make your garage cooler than outside. What you want is to have the garage the same temp as the outside and it will be cooler because you don't have the sun directly on you.

Open your garage door and get a screen for the door. I have garage door up about 10 months of the year. I did have rabbit one time pop in when I came home and opened screen and was putting my golf cart in, he hopped in so quickly and I couldn't find him. I found him a week later when the smell was horrible. With screens you can avoid most creatures, snakes, gators, rabbits, bugs, etc. Also with the door up, it will give you privacy, and obviously keep out two legged creatures with sticky fingers.

You have the one piece screen that goes up, I have the horizontal that has 3' sections that slide separately by hand. That way I can open just one section to go in and out, and then close it behind me quickly.

Here's my garage and the door is open. You can't see in, you can't even see the car. Nobody or any creature can enter, and the garage will stay about the same temp as the outside air. That's the best you're going to get. A big fan will move air and that will cool your body to a certain degree.

The Villages Florida

I have my washer & dryer in the garage, in the back. I have a wire shelf installed above them for detergents and stuff. I also have this fan on the shelf and have it aimed in my direction when I working in the garage, it will help. It was about $35 at Walmart.

The Villages Florida

This one is $39 at Walmart. If you don't a have a shelf or a good place to place the fan, you can get a fan on a pole with a base and they can be aimed in any direction.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-26-2021, 10:06 AM
Default Garage door insulation

Go to ROMAC lumber yard. On Rolling acre rd. Go to far right rear corner and there is a retail desk. Take picture of your house and the inside of your closed garage door. Better yet measure the width and height as well. They have precut foam insulation that fits your garage door. It works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A and A View Post
Hello Everyone,

Wanted to ask if there is any benefit to adding insulation above the garage. Not going to be used for anything other than car parking. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, insulate, parking, car, insulation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.