Insulting signs at fish hawk

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Does anyone not remember the struggle for equality by women in this country???
Are these the same women that go now around in 6 " stiletto heels, with dresses so short you can see their underwear, that is if they are wearing any. Breast implants and then wear tops that barely cover those 40 EEE.
I doubt that those retro pictures will affect women's equality today.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Is the OP entitled to their opinion? ...... YES

Do I find them personally objectionable? ..... no

Do I find it personally objectionable that the OP was invited to "leave" by the 9th post of the thread for the heinous crime of expressing their opinion? ....... YES!!

Would I have the signs in question in my home .... no (just not my style)

Is their a MAJOR difference in what is acceptable to display in your own home and a public (and yes the Rec Center is a public) facility? ....... YES!!

Their are sooooooooo many on this board that rush in to defend anything that is in any way connected to TV and "The Developer", it is kinda amazing to me. "The Developer" did an excellent job of conceptualizing and executing a business plan. HOWEVER, "The Developer" and those in charge of the VCCDD, CCD are NOT omnipotent! They have, are and will make mistakes and errors in judgement.

Was the placement of these double entree signs a mistake or error in judgement? Considering that this Rec Center has been open for about 10 years or so, you would probably have to say that has not offended enough people to be a problem. However, if would have been my decision to hang them .... I would have said no. Given the location.
Excellent post. Agree with all issues you have pointed out. The Villages is a classy place. I believe the pictures are tastless and speak to a sexist bygone era that is no longer acceptable in a public place. They should be removed.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Excellent post. Agree with all issues you have pointed out. The Villages is a classy place. I believe the pictures are tastless and speak to a sexist bygone era that is no longer acceptable in a public place. They should be removed.
And replace it with what? A Kim Kardashian picture or Miley Cyrus? Which are two acceptable in today's standards?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I love the whole pin up genre of art. It is a real kind of art from the era of the forties. It includes the artist Varga and also encompasses all of the the nose cone art from the second world war pilots airplanes. It was not demeaning to women unless you have that mind set. We were all young and better looking than we are now, and most of us have pictures of us snapped in our bathing suits.

I am offended by people offended by the fact that was included in the art hung on the wall of that rec center because it absolutely fit in with a fish camp pool room of that era's décor. I don't have stuff like that in my house because that is not the kind of décor I have, but it is part and parcel of the art of that era. Including the double entendres.

GOOD GRIEF. Do we have any body who is old enough to post on a senior forum. I was a small child in the forties and I saw this kind of pin up art as a child and I am still kicking. Nose cone art below. Disclaimer, don't open if you will be offended by what our pilots put on their airplanes back then.

nose cone art from the forties - Bing Images
Gracie,

I couldn't agree more with you!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Platinum member

Good grief, this is still going! I bet the OP is setting back laffing their "you kow what" off. Give it a rest people! I serious doubt if one mind has been changed!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
b
YES I DO! And once again I am not a prude nor a victim but I find those posters at the rec center inappropriate for the rec center. There is a time and place for everything.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Kids are a LOT savvier than we think, and those pictures in that billiards room are not the problem. Any kid who sees those pictures and understand the double entendre' has probably already seen a lot worse.

What is the Average Age That a Teen Starts Sexting?

I'll risk a chance on a kid seeing those fishing pictures, especially when compared to the Bratz dolls five and six year old girls play with today. I'm attaching a picture of one. Frankly, I think these should be taken off the market, along with thong panties for pre-teen girls. Yes, those are available at all department stores. But those are MY boundaries. We all have different ones.

Our kids are already so overloaded on a daily basis with the likes of Miley, the Kardashians, and any "Housewives" franchise that I think a couple of retro girlie posters should be the least of a parent's worries.

However, for those of you that still think it is inappropriate, let me ask you this. How far are you willing to go? We can politically correct ourselves right into a society that accepts nothing less than the most conservative of ideology where no one talks about sex, no one drinks alcohol, women are seen fully clothed at all times when in public . . . oh, wait, some countries are already doing that.

Some of us dislike girlie posters and some of us dislike Bratz dolls and some of us dislike seeing older women in skimpy get-ups having a little too much to drink down there at the square. The good news is that we live in a country where we get to freely vocalize our likes and dislikes. Not everyone will agree with us and the change we seek may or may not happen.

I know a lot of you are not going to agree with my post. And that's okay.
wandatime: you approach it from a different angle but that is the point I have been trying to make all along. It seems each successive generation is becoming inordinately pre-occupied with sex. It seems nothing escapes people today that doesn't require comparisons to genitalia. Kids are not getting a chance to grow up and are being pushed into adulthood by some parents, and with plenty of assistance from Hollywood. Even animated features focus on the sexual aspect.

Kid ae getting the wrong message and have been for sometime its no wonder the diorce rates and single mother % aren't even higher.

So the plaques at Fish Hawk were only a trigger of this grime statistic for me and hence their display poor judgment in my view.. I could go on but to what avail

Personal Best Regards
Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Yes, but they are not around to protest abuse of women, for example, in a Hollywood movie in which a young woman is stalked, handcuffed, tied to the bedposts, hit on the abdomen with a riding crop and flog, etc.

They're also not around to protest the kidnapping and sex slavery of young girls by Boko Haram.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Good grief, this is still going! I bet the OP is setting back laffing their "you kow what" off. Give it a rest people! I serious doubt if one mind has been changed!
I have to agree.

It's strange that not a single poster prior to the OP ever voiced complaints about these old ads. They weren't put up yesterday.

I despise the whole choking cloud of 'political correctness.' I believe the thin tail is wagging the big dog.

All these posts about political correctness immediately make me think about the Communist rule in Russia. It produces lies and 'codewords' and absolute distrust of one's fellow citizens. I think there's a very short distance between
statements deemed by the noisy ever so sensitive puritans to be "politically incorrect" and therefore "offensive" and prosecution for 'hate crime.' That is thought control, and doesn't belong in free or formerly free democracies.

We never needed a Russian invasion. Our homegrown puritans and speech and thought police have brought "1984" and "Animal Farm" and "Gulag Archipelago" to our rec centers. Thanks ever so much.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Gold member

Over 7000 views. I wonder how many viewers who have never been to Fish Hawk, will no go just to satisfy their need to be offended.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
I have to agree.

It's strange that not a single poster prior to the OP ever voiced complaints about these old ads. They weren't put up yesterday.

I despise the whole choking cloud of 'political correctness.' I believe the thin tail is wagging the big dog.

All these posts about political correctness immediately make me think about the Communist rule in Russia. It produces lies and 'codewords' and absolute distrust of one's fellow citizens. I think there's a very short distance between
statements deemed by the noisy ever so sensitive puritans to be "politically incorrect" and therefore "offensive" and prosecution for 'hate crime.' That is thought control, and doesn't belong in free or formerly free democracies.

We never needed a Russian invasion. Our homegrown puritans and speech and thought police have brought "1984" and "Animal Farm" and "Gulag Archipelago" to our rec centers. Thanks ever so much.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My kids AND grandkids are used to honest and direct answers from me. We saw our two grandchildren every day of their lives until they left for college.

But I am a grandmother, not a papa. Sweetie wouldn't tell them where babies come from any sooner than he would fly. He may not KNOW.

IF MY ten year old would ask...what does that mean. I would say, When you are fly fishing you have to watch and keep your arm up and your rod up so your hook doesn't catch something or somebody.

And on the other one... I would say that in certain areas of the world bush is the heavy dense thick vegetation areas.

The plaques are funny because they has two meanings.

If they were older I would explain...the other meaning.

I can think of so many worse things I don't want them to see.
Great post Gracie and I would do the same. There is far worse things that come into view or are shown on you tube which all kids with any access to the internet have already found. My self I find the pictures with some humor and in this world we live in we need more of.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Default More Nose Art (from current generation)

Originally Posted by handyman:
Better keep the kids out of Eisenhower,just a warning,some pretty racy nose art that you may not want to explain to the kids .

Originally Posted by DonH57:
I've been in there a few times and I missed the nose art? I'll have to look closer next time. I love the nose art on aircraft. It had to be one of the best moral booster for our boys overseas during those times.

Don & Handy: Since you guys are afficonados of "nose art", I thought you might get a kick out of some "creative cammoflage" done by some Marines during the very early days in Afghanistan in 2001-2. These pics were taken at Bagram when it was still just barely a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere! Yes, the paint scheme eventually fell victim to....wait for it....no, not the Taliban....Washington, after some staffers came out to get their shoes dusty and pick up their T-shirts!! LoL!! Enjoy......
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MH-53ELDY3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	48798   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MH-53ELDY4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	48799  
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.