Insurance company recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2021, 09:47 AM
Default Insurance company recommendations

Hey Villagers,

Looking to get home owners, auto, umbrella and Golf Cart insurance in TV. My current carrier does not underwrite policies for Florida. Any recommendations for reputable carriers? It's easy to compare costs, but hard to know which companies are good payers on claims, till it's too late.

Also, wondering about The Villages Insurance Co. They are probably just a broker, but do seem to be a logical choice. Any opinion?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

No downside to using TV insurance for a quote. Sometimes price is better, other times not. Try Geico and some of the online insurance sites. Bundles can save you money
Old 07-28-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

I use The Villages Insurance and, yes, they are a broker for several companies, and they are convenient. I have Progressive with them for the homeowners policy. But, I have a separate auto policy with Allstate. I think it pays to shop around for homeowners and auto policies. Having both policies with the same company is not always the best way to go. They claim to provide a multi-policy discount, but do the math. It is not always a good deal, because the advertised discount does not always add up.

Also, an umbrella policy will not add additional risk coverage. It will only increase the liability limits. You may not need an umbrella policy, if you can get a high liability limit with the individual home and auto policies.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Chubb Insurance.
Best paper in the industry.
Not cheap.
Read the policy & exclusions before paying.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:11 PM
Platinum member

Go with an independent agent. They can get you multiple quotes. Sure you will learn soon that in Florida, it is very hard to get a nationwide company such as State Farm, Allstate etc. Feel happy you are relocating to Central Florida. On the coast insurance is 4 times more costly.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Try AAA (the auto company). They do car and home insurance. Use Allstate for the Golf cart. Seems that using a separate company for the golf cart is a good idea.AAA Florida Insurance, Travel, Banking, Towing & more | AAA
Old 07-29-2021, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

Get a quote from The Villages Insurance. I have them for home and golf cart
Old 07-29-2021, 05:27 AM

Had insurance through TV but recently switched every thing to AllState. TV placed my HO insurance through American Integrity and that company kept raising the rates. Last year, went up something like 40%. Saved a few bucks but that included much better sink hole coverage at a reasonable cost.

Had one claim with AI and its claims service was terrible. Also, AI's content coverage had a limitation for 'collections' which always bothered me. Didn't come into play on my claim but would certainly could apply on a large fire loss or even a theft claim.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

You will wind up switching companies every few years. Insurance companies adjust their risk profiles to Florida constantly. Loyalty discounts are rare. They tell you what they really think of you when sending a ridiculous renewal quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

If you are not a member of Nextdoor, you might want to sign up for it on Nextdoor.com. Lots of information on everything, including insurance companies, landscapers, doctors, lawyers etc. Your neighbors have a lot of input and recommendations for you.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:01 AM

I recommend FOREMOST INS, With few questions asked FOREMOST just paid out nearly $20,000 to cover wind damage to my home in TV. They coordinated all the work as well. And they did not raise my renewal premium!
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 AM

I had Chubb through TV and they pay out claims with no hassle but they were getting too expensive so I switched to Farmer's in Leesburg and saved quite a bit of money. Foremost is a Farmer's company.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
Hey Villagers,

Looking to get home owners, auto, umbrella and Golf Cart insurance in TV. My current carrier does not underwrite policies for Florida. Any recommendations for reputable carriers? It's easy to compare costs, but hard to know which companies are good payers on claims, till it's too late.

Also, wondering about The Villages Insurance Co. They are probably just a broker, but do seem to be a logical choice. Any opinion?
In my opinion I would use a broker outside of the villages. Your address in the villages has an automatic premium on the cost. I use a broker in Ocala and saved at least 20-25 % on all my premiums for the same policy
Old 07-29-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
Hey Villagers,

The villages are just people who get the policies don’t explain how to save money and mark it up 100-200%. I priced my HO with ASI for 420- and for the exact same policy word for word was over $1100-! They don’t service you they tell you to call an 800 number. It’s just another revenue generator for the billionaire owners.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I use The Villages Insurance and, yes, they are a broker for several companies, and they are convenient. I have Progressive with them for the homeowners policy. But, I have a separate auto policy with Allstate. I think it pays to shop around for homeowners and auto policies. Having both policies with the same company is not always the best way to go. They claim to provide a multi-policy discount, but do the math. It is not always a good deal, because the advertised discount does not always add up.

Also, an umbrella policy will not add additional risk coverage. It will only increase the liability limits. You may not need an umbrella policy, if you can get a high liability limit with the individual home and auto policies.
The villages brokers don’t add any value they push over insurance as their biggest profit margin is contents insurance not letting you know you don’t need 50-70% value of your hone. None of the companies that offer insurance in Florida will ever cover everything the way it’s done in other states.

Don’t waste your money with a villages insurance there is no added value. most people buy it because it’s convenient and they’re lazy because they don’t want to deal with the tough stuff!
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, recommendations, till, companies, choice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.