Insurance question

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Gold member
Default Insurance question

OK, I am not down there right now but my neighbors told me that I suffered minimal roof damage on my Villages home. It totaled out to about 10 tabs from my shingles being blown off from the 3 tab shingles on it.

Should I even bother call my insurance company about this ? we are having trouble finding somebody to come over and even take a look and I don't think the amount of damage will ever exceed my deductible but I am concerned there may be more damage there than what actually came off (ie: cracked tabs etc)

What would you do ?One one hand, I really don't want to file a claim if I will get no money because of the deductible, on the other hand damage could possibly be more extensive
Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 PM

In VA, we got some hail damage. Some insurance companies replaced the whole roof for you. I might just call them to inspect and see what they say. Who is your insurance company?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

From what I heard, our neighbor has the same issue. He was told that All their insurance adjusters R in Texas right now. They told him to wait 2 weeks before one would be available. Good Luck....
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2009 View Post
In VA, we got some hail damage. Some insurance companies replaced the whole roof for you. I might just call them to inspect and see what they say. Who is your insurance company?
American Integrity through The Villages Insurance 500 dollar hurricane deductible
Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 PM

Scott Smth Roofing looked at ours Only a few shingles were off. T J was excellent
Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 PM

File the claim. Hurricane Deductible is one per season. Example: 2000 total deductible. Hurricane Irma damage is $700.00.

2000 - 700 = 1300 deductible left for season. Florida has a 2nd hurricane this season and you have additional damage of $2000. $1300 would be applied to remaining deductible and you would be reimbused $700.00.

Last edited by aaffmom; 09-18-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Spellng
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Always report the damage, even though you may not file a claim. It's best to put your carrier on notice ............ just in case.

Not you..............But I'm frequently surprised at the low level of deductibles people carry. I very insurance to cover what I can not afford. Auto: "Can 'you' afford $250, $500, $1,000???" Yes........don't like it, but can afford. Home Owners: "Can 'you' afford $1k, $5k, $10k???"

Just my view.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
OK, I am not down there right now but my neighbors told me that I suffered minimal roof damage on my Villages home. It totaled out to about 10 tabs from my shingles being blown off from the 3 tab shingles on it.

Should I even bother call my insurance company about this ? we are having trouble finding somebody to come over and even take a look and I don't think the amount of damage will ever exceed my deductible but I am concerned there may be more damage there than what actually came off (ie: cracked tabs etc)

What would you do ?One one hand, I really don't want to file a claim if I will get no money because of the deductible, on the other hand damage could possibly be more extensive
The pivotal issue for you is the $ amount of damage.
A second issue are the underwriting rules that apply with your carrier

You have had a number of suggestions. Mine would be in order to determine your course of action you will take, hire someone, other than your insurer, that can write you an estimate of the damage. then decide. I spent my entire career in insurance understand both the claims and underwriting aspect of insurance carry a number of professional designations. I carry as high a deductible as I believe I can afford with all my policies, in order to self insure and leave my insurance for larger losses

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I had same damage less than $500 insurance won't cover .Don't waste your time get if fixed out of pocket before more damage occurs
Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Sage

I'm surprised that nobody suggest this ... Call Your Agent. You and the agent can decide if a claim to the underwriter is the way to go.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I'm surprised that nobody suggest this ... Call Your Agent. You and the agent can decide if a claim to the underwriter is the way to go.
Notice to the agent is notice to the insurance company and the agent has a fiduciary obligation to report such a claim. whether s/he will is another topic for discussion
Old 09-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Gold member

Update on this. I spoke to a guy down there today that does roof inspections. I told him that I wanted him to come over and take a look at my roof and let me know if I should file an insurance claim. He asked how old the roof was. When I told him 18 years old, he, without hesitation, said submit a claim. He said there would not be any roofing contractors in the area that would do just a repair on a roof that old. He felt certain that many of the shingles had been wind damaged even thought they were still on the roof because of the age and brittleness of the shingles.

New question - Anybody have any idea how much it would cost to fully replace a roof that is about 1800 sf house and about a 400 sf garage (2200 sf) ? I'd just like to have an idea of the cost when the adjuster stops by.

Tags
damage, shingles, insurance, hand, tabs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.