Insurance vs no Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage
Default Insurance vs no Insurance

Just got back from renewing tags on my cars

Found out the insurance minimums in Fl are 10-20-10

with these really low requirements IMHO-there is no difference as to not having insurance at all

The state should establish reasonable requirements--NJ had higher requirements in 73'
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Just got back from renewing tags on my cars

Found out the insurance minimums in Fl are 10-20-10

with these really low requirements IMHO-there is no difference as to not having insurance at all

The state should establish reasonable requirements--NJ had higher requirements in 73'
I am not even sure if they require uninsured/underinsured coverage.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Sage

You can opt out for uninsured or underinsured-we opted out-our health plan gives us great coverage and we have collision on our cars
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Un-insured/under insured motorist is a lot more than simply health care. With all the people driving around here without insurance, or as the OP noted the bare minimums, you would be foolish in my estimation NOT to have UI coverage at the same level you carry liability.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

I don't have uninsured motorist insurance because it is redundant. If I am involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, my medical insurance will cover my medical bills and my collision insurance will fix my car. I really don't care about things like "pain and suffering" or lost income, etc. So, why should I pay for someone else's liability insurance? This only helps the insurance companies by having double coverage for medical and collision.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

If you go to the emergency room after an accident you will be asked how you were injured. If you state it was from an accident, I don't believe your health insurance will cover it, at least that's how it used to be in Ohio, could be different down here but you might want to check.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you go to the emergency room after an accident you will be asked how you were injured. If you state it was from an accident, I don't believe your health insurance will cover it, at least that's how it used to be in Ohio, could be different down here but you might want to check.
My health insurance will cover it. But, if you have uninsured motorist insurance, the health insurance company will try to collect money from the auto insurance company. That is what I mean by having redundant insurance. I am not going to pay twice for the same thing. Uninsured motorist coverage is not required in Florida, so if you don't buy it, the health insurance company has to cover you, as they should. But, if state law requires that you have uninsured motorist coverage, then your health insurance company can expect you to have it and hold you accountable if you don't.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-20-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My health insurance will cover it. But, if you have uninsured motorist insurance, the health insurance company will try to collect money from the auto insurance company. That is what I mean by having redundant insurance. I am not going to pay twice for the same thing. Uninsured motorist coverage is not required in Florida, so if you don't buy it, the health insurance company has to cover you, as they should. But, if state law requires that you have uninsured motorist coverage, then your health insurance company can expect you to have it and hold you accountable if you don't.
That’s great that YOU don’t care about loss of wages or pain and suffering, but what about your family/grandchildren or neighbors that are passengers? They could suffer major catastrophic injuries and not have that beautiful Health Insurance policy that covers YOU.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubagirl33 View Post
That’s great that YOU don’t care about loss of wages or pain and suffering, but what about your family/grandchildren or neighbors that are passengers? They could suffer major catastrophic injuries and not have that beautiful Health Insurance policy that covers YOU.
You are correct that passengers are covered by uninsured motorist insurance. But, regarding health insurance, I thought Obamacare requires everyone to purchase health insurance, so I don't feel obligated to provide it to passengers. I think that most people do not understand what uninsured motorist insurance really covers, and they pay for it automatically because their insurance agents fail to properly explain it to them.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You are correct that passengers are covered by uninsured motorist insurance. But, regarding health insurance, I thought Obamacare requires everyone to purchase health insurance, so I don't feel obligated to provide it to passengers. I think that most people do not understand what uninsured motorist insurance really covers, and they pay for it automatically because their insurance agents fail to properly explain it to them.
I’m a retired agent!! Health Insurance is required to be purchased, but the system has failed. Millions are still without coverage!! Not your problem! I get it, but as a passenger you shouldn’t have to use your own policy when someone else is negligent and uninsured/underinsured. The UM coverage on the golf cart is $46 a year for 250/500 Liability. I don’t have Florida Auto Insurance, yet.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Arubagirl33, I think you make an excellent point.

For those who insist upon going without, I have to wonder if they carry an umbrella policy that could be affected. Or maybe they think umbrellas are a waste of money, too.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
PS: Arubagirl, I looked back after hitting “submit” for this post so now I know you are a retired agent. Thank you for your input.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-20-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I did not get the coverage and did have a motorcycle accident. All the health insurance company was interested in was did I have this coverage. Sorry, that's why I have YOU!

Bottom line it works exactly as I planned for.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
I’m a retired agent!! Health Insurance is required to be purchased, but the system has failed. Millions are still without coverage!! Not your problem! I get it, but as a passenger you shouldn’t have to use your own policy when someone else is negligent and uninsured/underinsured. The UM coverage on the golf cart is $46 a year for 250/500 Liability. I don’t have Florida Auto Insurance, yet.
Are you sure you are talking about "uninsured motorist" coverage, and not coverage for your own liability? You are going to pay a lot more than $46 for uninsured auto insurance on a regular car, especially if you purchase a high limit as one poster suggested. So, I am supposed to buy liability insurance for irresponsible motorists driving around illegally without it, and also health insurance for everyone else who may possibly be a passenger in my car? Sorry, but I am not going to do that.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you are talking about "uninsured motorist" coverage, and not coverage for your own liability? You are going to pay a lot more than $46 for uninsured auto insurance on a regular car, especially if you purchase a high limit as one poster suggested. So, I am supposed to buy liability insurance for irresponsible motorists driving around illegally without it, and also health insurance for everyone else who may possibly be a passenger in my car? Sorry, but I am not going to do that.
That’s your choice! Just wanted to make sure everyone has the true facts.
Yes... The $46 annual premium is the UM coverage for one year on my golf cart. I don’t have auto in Florida, yet. UM coverage Should match your liability limits or at least very close to it.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
That’s your choice! Just wanted to make sure everyone has the true facts.
Yes... The $46 annual premium is the UM coverage for one year on my golf cart. I don’t have auto in Florida, yet. UM coverage Should match your liability limits or at least very close to it.
Thanks for the good advice. I would rather pay a few dollars more and sleep well. I was insurance broke in NJ. No so here.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, requirements, imho-there, difference, requirements--nj

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.