Interesting COVID information from The Villages Health

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts
Default Interesting COVID information from The Villages Health

I am a patient of The Villages Health. Their Chief Medical Officer just sent a message to all patients updating them about COVID-19. The letter is longer than the segment below, but I wanted to share some interesting statistics about local hospitalizations. I have not seen specific local hospitalization numbers anywhere.

Cases of COVID-19 are increasing in Florida and locally. Today, there are 549 cases in Sumter County, with 162 occurring in the last week. In Lake County, there are 2,158 cases with 674 occurring in the last week. In Marion County, there are 1,156 cases with 379 occurring in the last week. As of this morning, there are 15 patients in the UF The Villages Hospital and 36 in UF Leesburg Hospital.16 of these patients are in intensive care.

The upward trend is accelerating and the number of known cases among 15- to 35-year-olds is surpassing those of adults aged 55 and older. While younger individuals are typically more able to tolerate and survive the infection, older individuals are at higher risk for more serious outcomes related to this infection.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

We need someone to take charge of this situation. People are confused on what to do. Such a pity.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
People are confused on what to do.
Maybe you are confused, but we are not.

We know exactly what to do to avoid getting the Chinese Virus and we are doing it while we thoroughly enjoy every day.

This is a great time to be alive.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

The letter is lacking some detail if you are showing an exact quote. How many of the patients in the 2 hospitals have the virus, how many of the ICU patients have the virus? Your quote does not state that they all have Covid. Also there was a huge jump in positives at the Coleman Federal Prison in Sumter County and there is also a very large number in the Bushnell prison. Deduct those two from the total in Sumter county and we are looking very good.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We have been hearing what to do since early March. Those very simple steps known, each of us chooses to follow or not.

What is lacking is no one source of simple to understand measurements.

Number of NEW infections (excluding repeat testers).
Number of hospitalizations by category (standard, IC, ventilator)
Number of deaths due specifically to the virus.

Just like when we were advised to "flatten the curve" during March/April.........what is the current objective/forecast/hope?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
We need someone to take charge of this situation. People are confused on what to do. Such a pity.
We know what to do, stay home as much as possible when we go out and will be around others wear a mask.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM

I think much of your assessment is correct and specifically your comment regarding the political divide and it’s impact. An example is the number of appearances by Dr. Fauci in front of multiple Congressional committees. Why isn’t Dr. Birx invited to testify? In my opinion she deals with data and facts and can explain where hot spots are developing, where there’s a need to increase testing, etc. Yes a little boring but that’s what facts are versus talking about anything and everything except any plan to specifically address the issue. Yes there are a lot of cases in Florida. Fifteen thousand in one day this past Sunday, yet the number of deaths that are attributed to the virus on Sunday in Florida, around 45 per the Johns Hopkins site. We don’t hear about the number of deaths anymore. And the virus is making a comeback in other parts of the world where strict measures were in place way before the US implemented measures..
Old 07-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I don't even care about these measurements. I don't care about the number of new infections. I assume everyone carries the virus and we just do our best to not catch it.

Quote:
what is the current objective/forecast/hope?
Can't you answer these questions for yourself?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I don't even care about these measurements. I don't care about the number of new infections. I assume everyone carries the virus and we just do our best to not catch it.
I do too, also all surfaces outside of my home. Risk vs reward. If I am being overly cautious, so what? Takes only a very small part of my day. And I have fun with my hobbies at the same time.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The letter is lacking some detail if you are showing an exact quote. How many of the patients in the 2 hospitals have the virus, how many of the ICU patients have the virus? Your quote does not state that they all have Covid. Also there was a huge jump in positives at the Coleman Federal Prison in Sumter County and there is also a very large number in the Bushnell prison. Deduct those two from the total in Sumter county and we are looking very good.

An Important Message from Our Chief Medical Officer, Jeffrey Lowenkron, MD

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advisory

Cases of COVID-19 are increasing in Florida and locally. Today, there are 549 cases in Sumter County, with 162 occurring in the last week. In Lake County, there are 2,158 cases with 674 occurring in the last week.In Marion County, there are 1,156 cases with 379 occurring in the last week. As of this morning, there are 15 patients in the UF The Villages Hospital and 36 in UF Leesburg Hospital.16 of these patients are in intensive care.

The upward trend is accelerating and the number of known cases among 15- to 35-year-olds is surpassing those of adults aged 55 and older. While younger individuals are typically more able to tolerate and survive the infection, older individuals are at higher risk for more serious outcomes related to this infection.

Communities where large populations of seniors live are advised to take proactive steps to reduce the risk of disease transmission. The Villages® is the nation’s largest 55 and older active living community.

Seniors who have serious medical conditions, such as heart or lung disease, Type II diabetes, or conditions reflective of weakened immunity are at even higher risk. These individuals can make decisions that reduce their risk of getting COVID-19. They should consider postponing participation in social events with more than 10 people, particularly those events held indoors. Everyone can help reduce the risk of community spread by their behaviors.

For mild or moderate disease, there is no current treatment that is proven to be effective; therefore, rest, fluids, quarantine and time are often the recommended treatment. For those with severe disease, in intensive care and on ventilators, there are two medications that help with symptoms and probably survival: dexamethasone and remdesivir. Convalescent plasma is also being used in hospitals and may also be beneficial. None of these are intended for prevention and should not be taken outside a hospital setting.

Everyone can help by taking the following actions:

People, if sick, should avoid contact with others
Social distancing of at least six feet is important
Consistent mask wearing is advised
Frequent handwashing, avoid shaking hands and minimize hand-to-face contact
Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing, then wash your hands
Avoid interactions that last 15 minutes and are within six feet of others, especially without masks
The Villages Health current actions to create a safer environment:

Temperature checks and questionnaire for all staff, patients and guests who enter a care center
Employees who are ill or exposed are being quarantined at home until safe for return to work
Social distancing practiced throughout the workplace
Required mask use for all in the care center (patients and guests are provided masks if they need them)
Telephone triage to help assess risk, need for testing and need for aggressive care like hospital visits
COVID-19 testing, if recommended, is performed in the parking lot to avoid potential infection of others
Patients will be called and offered a telehealth visit to provide needed care without risk of exposure in a care center
Two resources for more information:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lications.html
Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak
The Florida Department of Health has established a call center for general questions at 866-779-6121, which is manned from 8 AM – 5 PM. Specific questions related to guidance may be directed to the Sumter County Health Department at 352-569-3102.

The Villages Health is working hard to keep you safe, while also ensuring we take care of your health care needs. As we all work together, we will continue our path to becoming America’s Healthiest Hometown®.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Lowenkron, MD, MPP
Chief Medical Officer
The Villages Health
Old 07-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

Can't you answer these questions for yourself?
Of course I can and so can anybody else. That is not what I asked to have in my post!

The objective as set aside by the scientific community/CDC/Federal Government of what they present as a unified direction recommended....as was presented earlier in the year to "flatten the curve".

That does not mean or infer not being able to do what each of us thinks are common sense precautions.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
We have been hearing what to do since early March. Those very simple steps known, each of us chooses to follow or not.

Just like when we were advised to "flatten the curve" during March/April.........what is the current objective/forecast/hope?
This thread has info and a link to what you want to know

Actual Florida Hospitalization Numbers
Old 07-14-2020, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Thanks, Bogie Shooter. I probably should have posted the entire letter. I thought a lot of the information has already been communicated in numerous ways. Guess not!!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Thanks, Bogie Shooter. I probably should have posted the entire letter. I thought a lot of the information has already been communicated in numerous ways. Guess not!!
I don't think the intent of the advisory was an end all to every potential statistic. However, readers/posters on here have their own agendas as to why they post some of these other alternate statistical sites.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The objective as set aside by the scientific community/CDC/Federal Government of what they present as a unified direction recommended....as was presented earlier in the year to "flatten the curve".
I really do not care about the "objective as set aside by the scientific community".

My objective is to do what is best for my wife and I.
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, county, patients, occurring, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.