Hot Water Heater Trouble

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2023, 06:38 AM
Default Hot Water Heater Trouble

Photo Attached-

May not be trouble. New house. This is the first we've paid attention to it so maybe it just needs a button pushed.

Woke up this morning and the panel in the garage was Beeping and Flashing. There was no hot water. By the time I got my coat on to take a closer look it had stopped flashing, and the hot water worked again.

It says 'Priority' on the panel. We have never touched or set this panel in the 18 months we've been here.

Note: Prior to taking the photo there was an red icon showing- 2 water peaks- like a wave.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	therm.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	101397  
Old 11-29-2023, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,592 Times in 5,189 Posts

I have no clue what happened. But, I would suggest that you buy a 10 dollar pressure gauge from Amazon that will screw on onto an outside hose bibb, where you can measure your house water pressure. It should be about 60 psi. It looks like your hot water setting is 120 degrees, which may be too low. I think the builder usually sets the temperature at 125, but I turned mine up to 130. Also, if this is a tank type water heater, I would check the drain pan under the tank for evidence of some water that would indicate that the relief valve has tripped. It will trip open if the water pressure exceeds 150 psi.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:46 AM

You need to look for an error code when hot water not working. An error code 11 typically means the igniter coil has gone out (very typical for these units). It is also recommended by the manufacturer that you descale the unit once a year, if you haven’t done that it is another potential issue.

Some will recommend using a plumber on the unit. But some of the basic maintenance can be done by you (YouTube videos to show what to do). There are people in the Vilages on Nextdoor that will also do the work for much cheaper than a plumber (Bob Keyl 630-660-8117, Mark Colette). I keep an extra igniter coil on hand so I am not stuck ordering a part online or hoping HD or Lowe’s has one.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, panel, hot, flashing, photo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.