Painted garage floor

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Default Painted garage floor

The paint (?) is coming off in some areas....can we just paint over the garage floor?

thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	90652   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	90653   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 3.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	90654  
Old 09-01-2021, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
The paint (?) is coming off in some areas....can we just paint over the garage floor?

thank you again!
It is a garage floor I would likely choose not to notice. Commonly it is an epoxy paint.
They toss down those scattered chips that you see and coat it with a poly urethane clear sealer. People often damage the floor with acid from electric golf carts. It is unlikely you could paint part of it, match the chips and the now aged sealer.

I would call a pro. Aside, epoxy works best at around 70 degrees. It is a bit hot to do it now.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:31 PM
Default To repaint, or not to repaint, that is the question

Quote:

thank you again!
This is a really good question. I bought a resale that had an older epoxy? floor that has worn thin in spots. I was thinking to refinish it before i put shelving in the garage. I called several professionals and had them visit. They want to grind the floor and then re-epoxy for about $2,500. I did some research and you can paint/re-epoxy over the old floor, provided you do the right prep. Take a look at the link at the bottom, it is the best article I've found. Cut and paste the link into your browser address bar.

How to Recoat New Epoxy Over an Old Garage Floor Coating | All Garage Floors

I haven't decided if I want to risk light sanding and re-coating. Was thinking about doing a test in an inconspicuous area and see how it works out.

Let me know what you decide to do, and how it works out.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Default Tip

Quote:

thank you again!
a tip i found:

A few drops of water on various spots of the floor can test if the sealer has been removed. If the concrete turns dark and immediately absorbs the water, then the concrete is profiled correctly. If it sits there without absorbing right away, the pores are not exposed and the epoxy will not bond well.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:

thank you again!
In general any (all?) of the commercial painters will require the old finish to be removed before an new finish cab be applied, the reason this is the only way they can be sure the new finish will adhere correctly. This can be expensive, probably twice the cost of coating an unpainted floor. Also, this will take a few days and the garage will probably need to be completely empty the entire time.

You have another possible option, there are a few companies that make tile systems for garages. These are usually interlocking squares that laydown on the floor. The higher quality system easily stand up to all the normal garage experiences, oil, gasoline, acid, cars, etc. Also, this can be a DIY project and you would not need to completely empty the garage, just move stuff around as you work.

Some time ago there were a few threads on these systems with lots of info.

Tags
floor, paint, garage, painted, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.