INTERNET PROVIDER - Help needed

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Default INTERNET PROVIDER - Help needed

Just purchased a new home in TV - trying to get a simpler (and cheaper - lol) lifestyle) but I will still need some kind of phone, tv, and internet.. I had Charter cable package for everything back home and was always upset with the price increases, etc so I've decided to try and get away from all the expensive "cable" packages, and other unnecessary bills/expenses.

1st step is not getting a land-line phone - will only use our cell phones.

I have a camper so am very interested in Direct TV - understand with 1 subscription I can use it both at home and in my camper (I'll need a portable dish for the camper but can take my receiver from home and use it at the camper without any additional expense).

My big concern is what should I do about getting internet? Comcast vs. DSL via the phone company vs. some other way? I use Verizon for my cell phone (very plain phone and no data plan, etc.) and have heard that some people use their phone to provide internet to their PC - but unsure of the cost, quality, speed, etc. I'm not a "power user" but do enjoy the faster internet speeds, but concerned with the overall costs.

Obviously, I'm confused regarding which way to go. Anyone have any good (and economic) suggestions? THANKS!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

I got the Comcast internet. If you also get 1 basic tv together it is 1 penny less than the internet alone. You don't even have to use the tv, but if you do you will get The Villages stations.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Only two places to get internet that I know of. Century Link or Comcast.
If you don't use it much you could get an air card from Verizon or ATT
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the input. Anyone have experence with the phone company and thier DSL - are the speeds acceptable, etc.?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.