Internet service

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Default Internet service

I get my internet service thru Comcast in Indiana. What do you use in TV. Mine is very fast.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Internet service

We have the package deal with Comcast; cable and high speed internet. The internet speed is very good. Can't say the same about the quality and amount of channels you receive for the price of cable television.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 AM
Platinum member

We use Comcast also.
Tampa, FL
Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM

We have Comcast High Speed Internet with a wireless router hooked up and our connections are not good at all. Don't know if the wireless router is slowing it down or what but we are not happy campers.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Platinum member

If you read the Comcast sales spec, it says Internet speeds up to 6 MBPS. Of course, compared to dial-up that's fast but it doesn't come close to the Internet speeds in other markets. Verizon's new FIOS system--which is not available in TV, claims a speed of 20 MBPS and Cablevision in the NY metro area is already at 15 MBPS--and all for the same monthly rate. The area is sorely in need of competition. Anyone familiar with the Internet speed for Direct TV? Unless people make there displeasure known to Comcast either in writing or by switching, Comcast will continue to take the money and run.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

I'm piggy backing on someones unsecured wireless signal near me. :bigthumbsup: Yes I know its unsecure but hey I don't think hackers are the norm around my neighborhood. Free high speed internet service works for me the short periods I use it.
Which leads me to the subject of a more powerfull hotspot wireless signal that we could all share. This is not rocket science technology, this is happening in every little cafe all across America. Lets give it some discussion.
Handie
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

I thought about community wireless a while back and I wondered how much such a transmitter would cost and how that would translate to subscriber access premiums. Antennas? Licenses? Locations? Maintenance? Interesting stuff to think about. Nothing is for free in the long-run.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Eternal Member

I use Comcast High Speed Internet and have no complaints. I also have a wireless router for my laptop and have no problems sitting 30-40 ft away from the router. Comcast is advertised at 8Mbps and with the Powerboost you can get up to 16Mbps on downloads.

MY setup was originally ClearLink in Marion county. They configured each node for no more than 100 connections. I am not sure where you are located and what kind of design was put where you are but the more to a node and the more activity the slower for others on the same node.

Bill

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
I thought about community wireless a while back and I wondered how much such a transmitter would cost and how that would translate to subscriber access premiums. Antennas? Licenses? Locations? Maintenance? Interesting stuff to think about. Nothing is for free in the long-run.
John??
Don't know where you are or what your thoughts are but I'm coming down last week in August if you want to talk more about community wireless. It seems to me that by sheer numbers, there is enough clout in our neighborhoods to cut a deal with a good reliable hi speed connection for far less that 50 bucks! Who amongst us is willing to stand up and help with this??
Handie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.