Internet suggestions please

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Gold member
Default Internet suggestions please

We close on our new Villages home on Feb 12th. We recently signed a new 2 yr contract with Direct TV, so we will be transferring that down there.

We use Magic Jack as our home phone and have Super AT&T iPhone contracts for unlimited, text, data.(which are no longer available, so we are keeping that AT&T contract.)

Therefore we need only internet. Where we live now we have fiberoptic super high speed internet into each home as part of our homeowners ass'n fees.

We are clueless about the Internet providers there in TV.

We will be looking for internet only and want fast speed, to allow streaming video via Amazon, Hulu and Netflix.

Please give me your feedback on the companies we have available below 466A (Gilchrist) and what you consider to be the best deal.

Thanks!! Counting the days!!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM

We are also located south of 466a. We use Comcast and our speed just checked at Speakeasy Speed Test was 28.3Mbps. This is Comcast's standard no extra charge download speed. They have higher speeds for extra charges which we have never found necessary.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM

Since you have unlimited data on your AT&T mobile contract, I would suggest that you explore what options AT&T has with their wireless options. I have Verizon and use their wireless 4G modem and it is super fast. Faster than the other internet services I had here, although I was not using the fastest. Before committing to them, I would see what they have and try it out to see what reception and speed you have, but could be a lot cheaper than a separate internet provider and you have the modem to use when you travel. Good luck
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

South of 466A, Comcast, Brighthouse and CenturyLink all provide high speed internet access including fiber optics into the house from Centurylink. All three have special offers since there is competition.

We have been using Brighthouse, (home phone, tv and 30mb internet) since May and are very pleased.

As a side note we are very disappointed with the quality of ATT's wireless call quality, especially inside our home.

Don
Fernandina

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

Is there any provider north of 466 other than Centurylink? Their customer service just plain sucks and the cost seems to be rising.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
Is there any provider north of 466 other than Centurylink? Their customer service just plain sucks and the cost seems to be rising.
I would like to know too!!!!!

Their CS is a storehouse of mis-information. IMHO

I was told I didn't need a phone jack in my bedroom, for my internet sering. WRONG!!!!!

I guess the person was in a dream world when he made this statement. I have found subsequent calls didn't provide the answers, that should have been made to a customer before signing up. This is not an acceptable way to do business. I may switch to Comcast if it is available in my area, as the bill is very high for the service they provide. I an always go to Majic jack for my phone service. Very economical.

Live and learn to do one business more professionaly.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 12-12-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
South of 466A, Comcast, Brighthouse and CenturyLink all provide high speed internet access including fiber optics into the house from Centurylink. All three have special offers since there is competition.

We have been using Brighthouse, (home phone, tv and 30mb internet) since May and are very pleased.

As a side note we are very disappointed with the quality of ATT's wireless call quality, especially inside our home.

Don
Fernandina
Agree in every respect with Don's response. You will probably need to check with all three to see who has the best price since the specials they offer come and go. I have Centurylink with fiber to the house and have been very happy with it. I believe the service I have is rated at 12 mbps, but we are able to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime with zero dropouts or problems. When I had Comcast the peak data rates were at least 25 to 30 mbps, but after 9 at night, I had numerous dropouts when watching movies.

I would have gone with Brighthouse if they served my neighborhood, because 99% of their customers seem to be very satisfied. I've been happy in general with Centurylink, but dealing with their customer service is frustrating at times. Luckily, we haven't needed to deal with them in quite a while.

Also (agree with Don), hope you have good service with AT&T at your home. Many/most on the south end of The Villages don't. We had been with them for 10 years, but went with Verizon after moving here. If it's bad at your home, don't believe them if they tell you that it will be fixed soon. They've been telling their customers that for years.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 AM
Gold member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear that AT&T service is not good in homes south of 466A. That's a real buzz kill. We have loved our AT&T service. Have only made 3 trips to TV and had great service each time. also thought I saw previous posts that their service improved after some new towers were built...No??

What rates may we expect for internet only? I don't know if it should be $20 mo or $90 mo. so I would appreciate hearing the price ranges you have been offered.

thanks again!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

dotti105, here is a link to the local Brighthouse rep, hope this helps….

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...sidents-91471/

We did not have to sign any contract and got free install, including activating all wall outlets for for tv signal.

That was back in May for bundled services, not sure what their offers are now. They were very easy to deal with, no pressure or hype. And they did what they said they would on the day they committed to.

Their landline phone was only 9.95 month more so we went with it. We originally planned on using only our cell phones but the ATT call quality in our house was too spotty. We have been with ATT (Bellsouth/Cingular) for 25+ years but are now looking into other wireless providers due to the poor quality.

We are paying approx $125/mo for bundled services, phone, tv (no premium channels) and 30mb internet.

Don
Fernandina

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Gold member

sorry for the late reply. holidays and such....

I've contacted Lysander and am trying to decide between CenturyLink and Brighthouse.
Without residental phone the bundle options aren't all that great.

We use Magic Jack now after a few years with Vonage. Liked Vonage, but Magic Jack is just so very inexpensive, i can't see giving it up for a bundled home phone deal.

But comparing services, prices, install/no install fees etc; it is like apples to oranges.....
Makes me dizzy.....
Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Gold member

We have the same thing down here that we had in Michigan, DirectTv and Comcast for our internet and phone. I'm not sure if that is the most economical (probably not) but the service has always been good.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 AM

We have Brighthouse for internet and cable. We don't have a land line, we use our cell phones or use free phone service on the computer. Enjoy your new home and Welcome.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 PM

I live south of 466A in The Pinella's. I have Directv also, with Brighthouse for phone and internet. I have had my router changed 3 times in 6 months. Laptop gets pretty good wireless I-Pads not so good. Looking to change but Comcast or CenturyLink make me nervous about doing so.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:49 PM

We have been very satisfied with Brighthouse.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.