Internet and Television

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 11:01 PM
Default Internet and Television

Will be buying a house soon. Looking for opinions on internet service and television. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:10 AM
Sage

Comcast/Xfinity works well for us.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Comcast/Xfinity works well for us.
Second Comcast/Xfinity for internet in southern villages below 44. Can’t talk about cable though because we steam.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouG@619 View Post
Will be buying a house soon. Looking for opinions on internet service and television. Thanks in advance.
The available internet options depend on your village. I know that in my Village there is only one real option, Xfinity, since Century link only has a 2mbit option.

Newer villages won't suffer from that, so it'll be Xfinity/Comcast, Century Link, Spectrum and maybe Verizon.

As far as streaming, if you want something like Cable, you have Youtube TV and "Hulu + Live TV" as far as plans go. There are a bunch of different options as well Sling, and firesticks and on and on and on.

You can also get cable, but I'm not sure why you would want to spend twice the money for the same as streaming, but to each his own.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:33 PM

They (two) both are useless!
Old 11-26-2020, 12:34 PM

Well for you? What until you need two go to their "store"....wait in line!!!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,754 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Well for you? What until you need two go to their "store"....wait in line!!!
Not a lot you need to actually go to the store for, but, did go for cell phone question once, found a greeter at door to make sure you get your turn in a fair manner, very comfortable seating, TV to watch, etc. a FAR FAR cry from the filthy hole with 2 chairs and carpet that had never been cleaned in the entire life of the place (Summerfield, in Spruce Creek plaza.... the essence of filth and people lined up outside in rain, sun, whatever with big boxes of equipment..... things have gotten much better !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 11-26-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2020, 06:03 AM

Forget cable TV. It’s on it way out. Get internet with at least 25 mbs and stream.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
I got Comcast very high speed service (100-200 Mbps—much faster than the basic speed). I don’t have Cable TV. I picked up my router at the Xfinity store, then discovered that the cable was disconnected at the outside junction box, where there was a nest of wires from the “old days” of twenty years ago, before WiFi, so I requested an installation guy online. Because I did it online, Xfinity waived the $70 service call fee for some reason. I save $15 a month, I think, by having the fee taken from my Visa card automatically. I only use Netflix and Amazon Prime, and all my TVs are LG Smart TVs that came with the wonderful Magic Remote, which slides a cursor around like a mouse with a wave of the hand, so I didn’t need anything else. I don’t have any other remotes. All three TVs are connected to the router by WiFi—no wires!

But my girlfriend is coming to visit, and she wants access to horrible network news. So I bought one of these digital antennas:

Amazon.com

Cheap! I attached it to the East-facing guest room window and got 48 clear stations, including ABC, NBC, and Fox (no CBS). She’ll be happy. But then I got another antenna and mounted it in the living room for that TV. No channels! Then I bought a coax cable splitter and split the signal from the guest room window and ran a coaxial cable to the living room. Still no signal.

Most of the signals seem to be coming from the East coast of Florida, 58 miles away as the signal flies.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,059 Times in 528 Posts

Happy with Spectrum, if you bundle Internet and TV, it costs a tiny bit more than just Internet alone. If you have Spectrum TV you can watch on any device with the spectrum app, or individual apps with your Spectrum sign in.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Like most of this sort of inquiry the replys will people's opinions. You need to discover what services are available where your newly purchased home will be located.

Complaints-sadly they all stink. As far as service, they seem to use private contractors and they do not survey quality of the work or repeat problems. Service calls are like the three stooges. You tell them what the problem is, in our case we knew the workers who installed the pool next door had cut the wire. The guy they sent can only check the wiring to the home and he then discovered, as I had told them the cut wire. He then calls another crew and it took them almost a week to repair the wire.

The competitors-neighbors have them. Sadly, their experience with a different company
is also bad.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:01 PM

Xfinity/Comcast works and is reliable for both internet and TV. Unless you are extremely frugal and, at the same time, experienced with technology, save yourself a lot of frustration and avoid the internet alternatives. The new Xfinity box and voice activated remote control are simple to use and functional. The DVR allows you to record several shows at the same time and stores more shows than you'll ever need. The internet service is fast. Even committed Luddites( myself included) can use Xfinity.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:41 PM

Buy an Amazon Firestick or a Roku Stick, subscribe only to the internet and no cable.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Have Spectrum, NO service issues in 6 years, great customer service folks, when you call they answer and have the knowledge to answer questions. If you have their internet your cell phone costs can be reduced more than 50% per month (just got my first bill, was paying Verizon 82.00/mo, Spectrum bill was 28.00 and they use the Verizon network). If I apply those savings to what I pay for cable, well, it's really inexpensive. The downside, all my stuff is in the Spectrum basket so if the Company has issues going forward so do I. They're big enough (Charter Communications, 45.8 Billion, is the parent) so I have faith.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-27-2020, 08:02 PM

Try All Access TV. The guys name is Alan Abrhams, Ph-352-568-5520. I have had it for over 2 years, and I get all the channels that I need, plus a few thousand I don't need. Alan has a person working at Market of Marion, and there is also a couple other vendors there. Just tell him Vern sent you. Go either Sat or Sun, there is very few vendors there on Friday.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, television, service, opinions, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.