3 moves within TV?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2019, 05:07 AM
Default 3 moves within TV?

So I had been told while visiting TV that the average homeowners will live in three homes in TV. I assume that maybe an exaggeration but not sure. I'm hoping not to move again so was wondering, why do most move within TV? Did they buy too big a house? Too small or is it more to do with the location or Village? Thanks Ken. I know Thelegges has had three houses in TV
Old 03-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Although we are in our first home we know of many that have moved within TV several times. Recently it has been friends moving from villas to larger designer homes, another neighbor moved into an identical home on water to get away from a busy corner lot that was very noisy, also quite a few have moved from the northern villages to homes south of 44 just because they wanted to be down here. There are also those that decided to downsize when they got older, lots of different reasons. Personally I would only move if we could find a private and quiet setting that would allow a 4 car garage without being on a corner lot.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

We bought an Amarillo home (as a second home) while we were both working and not living here full time. When we retired, we bought an Iris in Hadley which I loved - neighborhood and home.

Hubby wanted a pool so we found a Lantana in Hadley which we recently bought.

All this in 6 years. So yes we are average Villagers.

While I wouldn’t have changed anything on our moves (met some lifelong friends thru purchases and moves), think about what you both want in a home - location and style of home.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

My Opin................An AVERAGE of three is high.

I look at our circle with ~50 homes on it.......we have two hoppers, the rest are still in their original homes.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We had planned to upgrade and move into a $2MIllion estate here in TV this week, but my Powerball hopes were dashed.

Would seriously question the '3 moves average'. You know what they say about statistics...
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
So I had been told while visiting TV that the average homeowners will live in three homes in TV. I assume that maybe an exaggeration but not sure. I'm hoping not to move again so was wondering, why do most move within TV? Did they buy too big a house? Too small or is it more to do with the location or Village? Thanks Ken. I know Thelegges has had three houses in TV
Many different reasons. I thought it was an exaggeration also, but find it to be fairly spot on with the people I've met. That said, nobody says you have to do it 3 times or even twice. But, if you are able to improve your situation, whether it's upsizing, downsizing, relocating for convenience, or whatever the reason, and you don't get hurt financially, why not do it? We thought we bought our forever dream home almost a year ago, and the 3 times average would take a hit based on us. But, we've already loosened up to the idea, that we wouldn't hesitate to sell and move (within TV) for the right price. Not today, or 6 months from now, but at some point.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Seven years ago we meet our newneighbors who were in their 7the home in TV. Since that time they have moved 3 more times. Their reason was to do minimum upgrades and sell for a nice profit. A hard way to make a living in my mind. I don’t think 3 moves is an average but it does seem to be common.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

As an average I think 3 is a bit high, but I don't think it is all that unusual. On our street with less than 30 homes we had 11 hoppers, one moved 8 times in The Villages and one moved from one home on our street to another on our street.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage

We've heard that as well. BUT prior to moving here we'd put in WAYYYY too many moves in our lives together (numbering in the 20's I think) for varying reasons. We promised each other this would be the last time (until they take us in a box OR we go to "the home"). Moving is way to hard, especially as we age. I, for one, want to get rid of "stuff" rather than continue to keep on accumulating. Only thing we'd wish for is a golf-cart garage BUT we've lived nearly 10 yrs without one---so guess it's wants vs needs. We're learning to be content and satisfied as we grow older.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Not me. I hate moving. I did a LOT of research, figured out exactly what we wanted and where we wanted it. Bought it and wouldn't think of moving again.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Gold member

I think that number is exaggerated too. If you ask me, people who move like that didn't do their homework ahead of time.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:30 AM
Gold member

At first I thought 3 moves as an average was high,
but after giving it more thought,
it occurred to me that a lot of buying in TV is impulsive,
and not thought trough very well!
I think that bumps up the average a bit!
Old 03-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Not me. I hate moving. I did a LOT of research, figured out exactly what we wanted and where we wanted it. Bought it and wouldn't think of moving again.
And then comes the new nightmare neighbors.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
I think that number is exaggerated too. If you ask me, people who move like that didn't do their homework ahead of time.
We had heard that folks will move an average of 3 times in TV. I would agree that some folks buy a smaller home here when they still own a home elsewhere, then purchase a bigger home to have room for visitor, then as they age they move to a smaller home again.

We purchased a larger home then we have up north so my wife could have a home office, a room for her mom in case she needs to be with us as she ages (she has her own place in the TV).
Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

The math would have to be crazy to get an average of 3.

60,000 homes.

Think about how many have been built in the last 2 or 4 years.

IF:

1/3 each...no moves, 2 moves, 4 moves...Average is 2

1/4 each....no moves, 2, 4, 6 moves.......Average is 3.

1/5 each....no moves, 2, 4, 6, 8 moves.....Average is 4.

I can't imagine 1/4 of all the villages (including people who have just purchased in the last year or two) have moved six time.

Rhetorical: Have 1/4 of the people you know moved six times?? (or 1/3 of the people you know have moved eight times)

Closed Thread

Tags
move, big, buy, house, houses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.