Screens on Garages?

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Gold member
Default Screens on Garages?

Okay, I will show my ignorance on this one.
???
Why do a lot of village houses have screens for the garage?

In New England it is sparecly used to create a sudo screen room. Cool after sundown , no bugs etc. With all the lanai's in TV I don't get the screens for the garages ???
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Sage
Default Re: Screens on Garages?

In these hot summer days, provides some air movement and ventilation in the hot, hot garage. In milder weather, with the garage screen down, you can open the door between the garage and the house and provide a cross-breeze.

I'm more inclined to put a retractable screen door on my front door to create the cross breeze when the lanai doors are open (probably not until October when it cools down enough).
Old 07-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Our washer and dryer are in the back of the garage. We put an electric operated screen door on the garage so I can get some fresh cool air when I am doing laundry. We can see out the screen but no one can see in the garage. With the screen door open and the lanai door open, we get great cross breezes on days when that will do. Of course, when it is over 90 no open door will help.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 PM

A GARAGE SCREEN DOOR SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. ROUGHLY HOW MUCH DOES ONE COST FOR A SINGLE CAR GARAGE ON A VILLA? THANKS IN ADVANCE . THE KAR GUY
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

My husband handled the purchase but I am guessing about $1200. You can get one that slides for a lot less but Joe wanted the automatic type. Our place is a courtyard villa so I am guessing your cost would be simiilar to ours. We just did it about 6 months after moving in around February 2006. Good luck. When Joe gets back from golf, I'll ask him what we paid and post it. Will also post who we hired to do it. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 PM

THANKS FRANGYOMORY. ANY AND ALL DETAILS WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHO DID YOUR JOB AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME. THE KAR GUY.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Veteran member

Joe said we paid $1800 and we used a husband and wife company, Hid 'N Screen. Good luck. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Check out this page in TV Daily Sun - it lists several firms doing this work:

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/s...Screen%20Doors

I hope this helps...

Ken
Victoria &amp; Vancouver, B.C.<br />China Lake, Ca<br />Pasadena, Ca<br />Several cities in Orange Co., Ca<br />Bakersfield, Ca<br />Indiana, PA<br />West Palm Beach, FL<br />TV&nbsp; (Mallory Square)!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Veteran member

Just rented a villa with a screen on the garage and it convinced me they weren't for me. The screen was the type that has 4 sections (I think it was 4 ) and they slide to either side. The problem was that if I wanted to take out the golf cart I had to slide it to the side where the car should be and if I wanted to take out the car I had to slide it to the other side. To make matters worst I have a MiniVan and with the screens my mini van wouldn't fit into the garage since the screens made the opening smaller (there was some shelf storage on one side of the garage that didn't help). The screens would also come off the track. So if you considering garage screens you might want to think if sliding them to either side will be an issue with your car or golf cart.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 AM

THANKS FOR ALL THE IMPUT AND COST FIGURES. I WILL DO SOME HARD THINKING ON THIS BEFORE I DECIDE WHAT TO DO.. THANKS... KAR GUY
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Platinum member

Hey Kar Guy,

Although this is not subject related, the only KAR GUY I know is Barry Meguiar from the Automotive Product empire. Are you one and the same? Sorry had to ask. ;D

Steve
Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 AM

STEVE, ON MY BUSINESS CARD IT STATES KAR GUY. I HAVE BEEN KNOWN BY THIS FOR A LONG TIME IN THE OHIO & MICHIGAN BORDERS. I ENJOY SELLING USED, GOOD CARS AND AM LOOKING TO MOVE DOWN TO FLORIDA AND DO THE SAME THERE. THANKS GREG.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 PM

I live in a Patio Villa and had a screen installed for about $500. I love it as I use the garage for a weight room when the car is outside and it gives me privacy with refreshing air and a view of the outdoors.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 PM

If you decide to go with a garage screen, either roll up or sliding, I would advise against the white. They look nice and you can't see in during the day but they restrict the breeze.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

have a white automatic screen and it doesn't restrict any breeze..we love it...you are limited to certain colors here based on what the architectural committee approves. We had choice of white or black. Prefer white. Would not have installed the type you have to manually fold. Too much bother. Good luck Kar guy!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.