Iris and Lily Owners

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Location: OH, CT, VA, KS, PA, GA, Raleigh, NC (2012 St. James)
Default Iris and Lily Owners

The "Gardenia Owners" thread prompted me to start this. We are trying to decide between the Gardenia/Camellia or the Iris/Lily ("sister" models). Wish we could combine what we like about all models into one! Great ideas for utilizing the Gardenia nook area helped a lot. Now my question has to do with the (overly) large nook area and what seems like wasted space (to me) between the nook and the family room in the Iris/Lily models. In down-sizing, we are trying to maximize every square inch of space, not only in the house but also with our allocated lot space for any expansions (which are vastly different among models). Now I'm looking for ideas in utilizing the nook area (in combination with the living and dining room areas to create a great room effect) of the Iris or Lily models making good use of all space. Thanks to anyone who cares to share!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default bump

let's bring this one to the top again
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM

One of the key features that we liked about the Camilla over the Lily is the split floor plan for the bedrooms. In the Camilla the master suite is on one side and the guest bedrooms are on the opposite side. There is even a pocket door in the hall that closes off the entire section (bedrooms/bath) from the rest of the house giving guests total privacy. We also made a greatroom by eliminating the columns and putting another ceiling fan where the DR light was. We do not need a large formal dining area that would only get used once/twice a year at most.

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

I believe most designer models have pocket doors.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I believe most designer models have pocket doors.
They do now Tom.

But the point on the previous post is that when you close that pocket door on the Gardenia/Begonia/Camellia (and a few others) you get what amounts to a 'guest suite'.

My question for the original poster: I know 2000 sq ft might be downsizing for some but what do you plan to put into it that you’ll have trouble utilizing the space? Personally we are moving from 3200 sq. to a 2000 sq ft Begonia and we are only taking personal items to TV. All new furniture etc. Makes deciding what to take easy - take nothing
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Gold member

[. All new furniture etc. Makes deciding what to take easy - take nothing[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

here, here!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM

I was concerned about the same thing. We purchased the Iris and I'm not keen on where the dining room is. So, I decided to use the dining room area as an extension of the living room, which it is anyway. The dinette area is large enough to put a formal dining set in, I had it measured and I believe it will look lovely next to the patio and window. We want a more casual lifestyle.

In our current home we have a huge living room which we use all the time, I like the openness of the Iris/Lilly.

It's wonderful having the opportunity to have choices. We are so excited about this new chapter in our lives and I know you are too.

I know you will make the right decision.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Default Newcomers

We are new to TOTV, and moving in to TV soon. We don't know how to post questions about granite supplies and installers and also about tile installers. We did a blog about 10 days ago and apparently it didn't happen because we got no response. We hope you guys who know what you're doing can help us learn how to post and ask questions on things we need to know about TV.

We spoke briefly to Phil at All Star about granite; and Minami in Ocala. Does anyone know about either of them and if you have a better suggestion. Thanks for the input.

By the way we are going to be using Rick, at the Pink House (48 Hour Blinds) for our blinds. What do you think?

Harvey & Lavelle

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Have an Iris and love it. Rick and 48 hour blinds were great. Two young men in and out in no time and a great job.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Location: OH, CT, VA, KS, PA, GA, Raleigh, NC (2012 St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
They do now Tom.

But the point on the previous post is that when you close that pocket door on the Gardenia/Begonia/Camellia (and a few others) you get what amounts to a 'guest suite'.

My question for the original poster: I know 2000 sq ft might be downsizing for some but what do you plan to put into it that you’ll have trouble utilizing the space? Personally we are moving from 3200 sq. to a 2000 sq ft Begonia and we are only taking personal items to TV. All new furniture etc. Makes deciding what to take easy - take nothing
Russ, to answer your question...it's not that we want to take so much with us but want to make the best choices as far as utilizing the rooms. And, TOTV residents have such great ideas. I'm still a little overwhelmed with all the decisions that have to be made and preparations for a move, even though it's about a year away. I agree that it's best to take nothing but I'm not sure that will be practical for us at this point. In fact, we had not really planned to move at all until we visited and fell in love with TV last summer. Because we had made some recent purchases (such as a Sleep Number bed), we'd like to keep some of them. Right now spending extra money on upgrades seems more important to us than new furniture. Turnkey homes are wonderful (which is what we did with our current home) but we don't want to own 2 homes and we didn't have the flexibility to move quickly. Hence we purchased a lot to build later.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman931 View Post
One of the key features that we liked about the Camilla over the Lily is the split floor plan for the bedrooms. In the Camilla the master suite is on one side and the guest bedrooms are on the opposite side. There is even a pocket door in the hall that closes off the entire section (bedrooms/bath) from the rest of the house giving guests total privacy. We also made a greatroom by eliminating the columns and putting another ceiling fan where the DR light was. We do not need a large formal dining area that would only get used once/twice a year at most.
The Camilla was our first choice of floor plan when we first came to TV in 2006 and its what we bought in 2009. Liked the split floor plan, but mostly the dining/ living room setup to be used as a Great Room.

Have a table we brought with us, but I can see it going away and doing the
celling fan and extending the living place I know we would enjoy it more.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlwallach View Post
We are new to TOTV, and moving in to TV soon. We don't know how to post questions about granite supplies and installers and also about tile installers.
There is a Granite Store in the Southern Trace Plaza on Country Road 466.
Southern Trace Plaza is east of CR 301 and west of Buena Vista.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.