Irish Coffee

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Default Irish Coffee

I am looking for a place to enjoy great "Irish Coffee" here in The Villages. Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:58 PM

I would imagine any place could serve you decent Irish Coffee as it is pretty basic with the ingredients. In honor of the upcoming St. Patricks Day I will share my recipe for my "Kelly's Coffee" take 2 saucers, put sugar in one and Amaretto in the other. Dip your upside down cup in the Amaretto first and then follow in the sugar to create a sugar Amaretto ring. Add coffee 3/4 of the way and add 1 shot of Tia Maria or any other coffee liqueur and 1/2 shot of Amaretto. Stir and add whipped cream. Enjoy.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Default Irish Coffee

Sounds like just what I am looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I will definetly try it this month. Lorraine.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Ummm.. Amaretto and Tia Maria in coffee with sugar and whipped cream is the recipe for Spanish Coffee.

Irish coffee calls for Irish whiskey.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Ummm.. Amaretto and Tia Maria in coffee with sugar and whipped cream is the recipe for Spanish Coffee.

And Baileys is the best!!!!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've used Baileys to make french toast. Frangelico is great in coffee as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Spanish Coffee uses rum in place of amaretto. Other Spanish restaurants I have been too use brandy as well. Both too rough for my palate.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Bet the bartenders at the Buena Vista Cafe in SF would be twisting in the wind. Used to go there and have an Irish coffee before sailing. It was always Irish whiskey (Bushmill's being my choice), two sugar cubes and a collar of whipped cream floating on top. Good luck on getting any other flavored coffee there, even though one bartender would take pity on me and make it an Amaretto coffee since I truly don't like whiskey. Bailey's was never used since it is a cream whiskey. The trick is to get the cream to float. Oh, and don't ask for decaf. Those bartenders have Irish rolling eyes down to a fine art.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Thank for all the great input. I wish I had the ingredients to make all versions. I would invite each of you over. Lorraine.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Veteran member

Went to Ireland in August and definetly no Amaretto and Baileys although they are delicious. The recipe is some brown sugar at the bottome of the cup, Paddy's Irish Whiskey or Jameson's and whipped cream. They are all delicious
Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Where might you have had your Irish coffee in Ireland? I remember enjoying the Hot Irish Whiskey on my trip to Ireland. Lorraine
Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Probably the best Irish coffee in Ireland is at the Shannon Airport, at least that was the case many moons ago.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Bet the bartenders at the Buena Vista Cafe in SF would be twisting in the wind. Used to go there and have an Irish coffee before sailing. It was always Irish whiskey (Bushmill's being my choice), two sugar cubes and a collar of whipped cream floating on top. Good luck on getting any other flavored coffee there, even though one bartender would take pity on me and make it an Amaretto coffee since I truly don't like whiskey. Bailey's was never used since it is a cream whiskey. The trick is to get the cream to float. Oh, and don't ask for decaf. Those bartenders have Irish rolling eyes down to a fine art.
Had my first Irish coffee ever at Buena Vista in 1977. For Irish coffee lovers this video should be a treat:

http://youtu.be/KnTdX53Zzyw
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

I think I saw TullamoreIrish Dew on sale at one of the local stores this week. Should be lots of sales this month with St. paddy's Day coming up. Thanks for the link to the great video. I just us the canned Reddi Whip cream. Typical retiree, huh?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM

One of my favorite memories of Ireland was looking for real Irish coffee. They use clotted cream, and once they run out...you don't get an Irish coffee. One month in Ireland and I only managed to get one true cup of Irish coffee. But it was worth it. It's just not the same when the cream comes out of a can.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.