Irresponsible gun owner(s)

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Sage
Default Irresponsible gun owner(s)

The Daily Sun reports of burglaries and thefts at the Village of Mission Hills and the Village of Malory Square.

"A total of 11 cars were burglarized, (SCSO Maj. James) Hayward said. For the thieves, these were simple crimes of opportunity, aided by owners who left valuables in their cars and failed to lock the doors, Hayward said."

Two handguns were stolen. How stupid can a gun owner be?!? We can't tell if it's one gun in two cars or two guns in the same car. But it doesn't matter. How totally irresponsible can a gun owner be?!?

Last edited by champion6; 05-19-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Platinum member

How irresponsible can a car owner be?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
How irresponsible can a car owner be?

///

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 AM

I'm reading this right? Car gets broken into, most likely lawfully owned and very well likely lawfully concealed guns, and it's the gun owner's fault? So I suppose it was an irresponsible car manufacturer who made a car that could be broken into? How far up the chain do you go exactly? Oh, wait, no farther - once you get to the gun owner, you stop there. Let's not blame the thieves for it was a simple crime of opportunity, they couldn't help themselves. After all, there is a spark of divinity in all of us.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I agree. Owning a gun comes with a huge responsibility. You need to know where it is at all times and it needs to be locked up when it's not in your possession. For someone to leave a loaded gun in an unlocked vehicle is unforgivable.

On another note, I'm surprised to hear that so many cars were left outside. Why were they not in garages?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Golf clubs left on the back of carts, open garage doors, unlocked doors, what the hell do you expect? This isn't the only irresponsible Villager.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I see the TOTV drawing and quartering of the owner has begun.

BUT --

Do you know for sure the car was left unlocked?

Did the owner think the car was locked?

I have not read the news article, but when I saw this topic come up, I decided to revisit and share a post of mine from last fall. (I still do not like my keyless entry. And if you think this is not a real concern, please give it a Google. By the way, although it is a little bit of a hassle, there are ways to protect your signal.)

I hope you will read this and consider the possibility and if you have a car with a keyless entry, be aware. TV would be easy pickins' for criminals who can easily and cheaply get this device. Sometimes the car itself is stolen.

Somebody at The Daily Sun needs to do a little homework and write an article on this topic to make people in TV more aware of this all-too-easy entry -- no breaking necessary.

Here is my old post:

Does anybody know how to prevent keyless entry remote hacking?

Today, someone attempted to hack our Accord’s Keyless Entry. (We are not back in TV yet so it did not happen there.)

Anyway, we were getting out of the car in a restaurant parking lot when Mr. Boomer could not lock the car. The remote was in his pocket. He had manually pushed the driver’s side lock, which is what we usually do. When it would not lock, he pushed down all 4 locks which seemed to work, but we never found out for sure because........

This all took place in less than a minute, at which point, Mr. Boomer said, “Somebody is messing with us.” And so we immediately got back in the car and left.

That was when Mr. B explained to me what was going on. I had no idea that such a possibility existed. Turns out, there are devices available cheap that make it possible for bad guys to get into your car without breaking in.

I have never liked my keyless entry, even though I finally got used to NOT checking the door handle to see if the car was locked.

Had a thief been successful in getting into our car, a couple of Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons and my raincoat would have been it, but still — this is creepy.

Does anybody out there in TOTVland know of a way to prevent a keyless entry from being hacked?

Last edited by Boomer; 05-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Perhaps The Villages tragically ain't the place it used to be and it is time to adopt "city rules".

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Default The Villages is Not Our Father's Villages Anymore!!

I totally agree! The Villages has attracted itself as a totally defenseless "rather large city!" Easy pickings for today's theifs and criminals at large! NO DEDICATED LAW ENFORCEMENT TO COVER IT'S EVER GROWING AREA! Besides the fact that The Villages is quickly spreading into areas that are suspect to say the least! It seems that sense of safety is gone out with the discarded building materials! Just think of the many contractors and outside workers that traverse the neighborhoods on a daily basis!! It ain't like it use to be by any means!!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Before the pious continue their judgement, one of the incidents involved someone who had just had a significant surgical procedure at a hospital outside The Villages. Upon arriving home, she needed to get into bed and needed assistance. In the frenzy, the car was not locked as the attention was on her health. This is a responsible couple. While it is unfortunate that the car was not locked, no one had any business being in a car that does not belong to them. Life happens, and people err. Do not be so quick with your tongue. When you do something out of the ordinary which you would normally be careful about because of an adverse circumstance, I hope people will offer you grace instead of persecution.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Before the pious continue their judgement, one of the incidents involved someone who had just had a significant surgical procedure at a hospital outside The Villages. Upon arriving home, she needed to get into bed and needed assistance. In the frenzy, the car was not locked as the attention was on her health. This is a responsible couple. While it is unfortunate that the car was not locked, no one had any business being in a car that does not belong to them. Life happens, and people err. Do not be so quick with your tongue. When you do something out of the ordinary which you would normally be careful about because of an adverse circumstance, I hope people will offer you grace instead of persecution.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Judgements abound on this forum.

We are blessed to have so many righteous, wonderful, all knowing people and to have them so willing to share their wonderfulness with us is simply an added blessing.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Judgements abound on this forum.

We are blessed to have so many righteous, wonderful, all knowing people and to have them so willing to share their wonderfulness with us is simply an added blessing.
Nailed it!

Old 05-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Nailed it!

Opinions are great. I do not find opinions much on this forum.

Pretty much ....label, decide, type and condemn.

AND IT SEEMS ALWAYS....

WITHOUT any facts to substantiate that "opinion" whatsoever, just the posters almighty wonderfulness.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Opinions are great. I do not find opinions much on this forum.

Pretty much ....label, decide, type and condemn.

AND IT SEEMS ALWAYS....

WITHOUT any facts to substantiate that "opinion" whatsoever, just the posters almighty wonderfulness.
Not to forget: 'Find as many like-minded people as possible, send lots of PM's and urge them...to dog-pile with personal attacks on the target.'
Closed Thread

Tags
gun, cars, owner, owners, irresponsible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.