Irresponsible gun owner(s)

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

///

Never mind. I just saved myself from siding with you two. (I try to avoid getting into stuff. But, hey, I know what you mean.)

I wish I could stop looking in at this place It is embarrassing to me to look at how long I have stayed at the fair. "Oh dear, what can the matter be?" -- I have no idea, except it is like theater sometimes. Free theater.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-19-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I'm reading this right? Car gets broken into, most likely lawfully owned and very well likely lawfully concealed guns, and it's the gun owner's fault? So I suppose it was an irresponsible car manufacturer who made a car that could be broken into? How far up the chain do you go exactly? Oh, wait, no farther - once you get to the gun owner, you stop there. Let's not blame the thieves for it was a simple crime of opportunity, they couldn't help themselves. After all, there is a spark of divinity in all of us.
////
Deleted opinion due to opinions not allowed...…………………………..
Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
And slither around and get posts removed and/or threads closed -- posts that were not personal attacks but opinions that might not fit the script.
You've noticed that too?

Almost like clockwork, the usual suspects will purposely initiate personal attacks in the hope of, at a minimum, having certain posts they don't agree with removed...at worst get the entire thread closed.

PS. And yes, these are generic posts without anyone mentioned and are within the rules...so they should be allowed to stay.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You've noticed that too?

Almost like clockwork, the usual suspects will purposely initiate personal attacks in the hope of, at a minimum, having certain posts they don't agree with removed...at worst get the entire thread closed.

PS. And yes, these are generic posts without anyone mentioned and are within the rules...so they should be allowed to stay.

EEK! Cold, you caught me. I rethought bothering with revealing my instinctive abilities. I had just taken out my insightful, though snarky, remark. Gotta hand it to you, Cold, you got there fast.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
EEK! Cold, you caught me. I rethought bothering with revealing my instinctive abilities. I had just taken out my insightful, though snarky, remark. Gotta hand it to you, Cold, you got there fast.
Just call me...'Quick-draw Magoo.'

Or something like that.

I DO appreciate your honesty though.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Default Re: Locking your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
The Daily Sun reports of burglaries and thefts at the Village of Mission Hills and the Village of Malory Square.

"A total of 11 cars were burglarized, (SCSO Maj. James) Hayward said. For the thieves, these were simple crimes of opportunity, aided by owners who left valuables in their cars and failed to lock the doors, Hayward said."

Two handguns were stolen. How stupid can a gun owner be?!? We can't tell if it's one gun in two cars or two guns in the same car. But it doesn't matter. How totally irresponsible can a gun owner be?!?
First of all I do lock my car BUT, you would be shocked at how easy it is to break in. Same is true of your home.

We tend to think someone breaking in is concerned, as you would be, about scratching paint etc. Their goal is to get in and out as quickly as possible. LAW? Law always strikes me as strange. If, someone steals your car you, INNOCENT, will be held responsible for damages the THIEF causes with YOUR PROPERTY that they stole. The same is true for guns stolen from your car or your home.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
First of all I do lock my car BUT, you would be shocked at how easy it is to break in. Same is true of your home.

We tend to think someone breaking in is concerned, as you would be, about scratching paint etc. Their goal is to get in and out as quickly as possible. LAW? Law always strikes me as strange.

If, someone steals your car you, INNOCENT, will be held responsible for damages the THIEF causes with YOUR PROPERTY that they stole. The same is true for guns stolen from your car or your home.
Absolutely and patently...FALSE.

It CAN happen, but it takes a lot to prove negligence...and being held liable.

How liable is the owner of a stolen gun or car later used to harm another person? | NOLA.com
Quote:
Under the legal doctrine of proximate cause, LeCesne said the act of stealing the car and the recklessness or negligence involved in hitting or injuring another victim would supersede the car owner's negligence in leaving the car unsecured.

He didn't know of any cases in which a car owner had been sued or found civilly liable for injuries resulting from a stolen car.

Despite the slim chances of ending up in court, LeCesne said it's just not a good idea to leave guns in unlocked cars. "It's highly irresponsible from a societal standpoint to put others at risk by leaving a weapon in a vehicle and leaving that vehicle unsecured. It's reckless," he said.

FACTS...matter.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I'm reading this right? Car gets broken into, most likely lawfully owned and very well likely lawfully concealed guns, and it's the gun owner's fault? So I suppose it was an irresponsible car manufacturer who made a car that could be broken into? How far up the chain do you go exactly? Oh, wait, no farther - once you get to the gun owner, you stop there. Let's not blame the thieves for it was a simple crime of opportunity, they couldn't help themselves. After all, there is a spark of divinity in all of us.
Many cars were unlocked.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I see the TOTV drawing and quartering of the owner has begun.

BUT --

Do you know for sure the car was left unlocked?

Did the owner think the car was locked?

I have not read the news article, but when I saw this topic come up, I decided to revisit and share a post of mine from last fall. (I still do not like my keyless entry. And if you think this is not a real concern, please give it a Google. By the way, although it is a little bit of a hassle, there are ways to protect your signal.)

I hope you will read this and consider the possibility and if you have a car with a keyless entry, be aware. TV would be easy pickins' for criminals who can easily and cheaply get this device. Sometimes the car itself is stolen.

Somebody at The Daily Sun needs to do a little homework and write an article on this topic to make people in TV more aware of this all-too-easy entry -- no breaking necessary.

Here is my old post:

Does anybody know how to prevent keyless entry remote hacking?

Today, someone attempted to hack our Accord’s Keyless Entry. (We are not back in TV yet so it did not happen there.)

Anyway, we were getting out of the car in a restaurant parking lot when Mr. Boomer could not lock the car. The remote was in his pocket. He had manually pushed the driver’s side lock, which is what we usually do. When it would not lock, he pushed down all 4 locks which seemed to work, but we never found out for sure because........

This all took place in less than a minute, at which point, Mr. Boomer said, “Somebody is messing with us.” And so we immediately got back in the car and left.

That was when Mr. B explained to me what was going on. I had no idea that such a possibility existed. Turns out, there are devices available cheap that make it possible for bad guys to get into your car without breaking in.

I have never liked my keyless entry, even though I finally got used to NOT checking the door handle to see if the car was locked.

Had a thief been successful in getting into our car, a couple of Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons and my raincoat would have been it, but still — this is creepy.

Does anybody out there in TOTVland know of a way to prevent a keyless entry from being hacked?

I don’t get it. What was happening?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The story said, one of the owners left his keys in his unlocked car and it was stolen and later found in Orlando. Does this owner bear any responsibility or is it all the criminals fault? It bothers me because police have to respond and tie up resources because a car owner is negligent. They also allowed the criminals a simple escape and took away an easy opportunity to catch them had they still been on foot.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

its always the criminals fault. i think the arabs have the right idea. chop off the hand of the thief.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage

I carry , went to a Dr. in Clermont last week-there was a sign on the door--NO Weapons Allowed- i placed my gun in a concealed compartment in my car and locked my car. Situations may arise when a gun must be left in your vehicle.

???- are these no gun zones on private property enforceable in Florida?
Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I don’t get it. What was happening?

Hi Henryk,

Here is an older article from the NYT. But if you Google the subject with something like "keyless entry signal hacking" it's out there in lots of legit articles. I had no idea what was going on when it happened to us. But Mr. B knew right away. Whoever was after our signal might have tried to hack too soon.

Soooooo, here's your homework assignment so you will know what I was talking about:

Keeping Your Car Safe From Electronic Thieves - The New York Times
Old 05-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I carry , went to a Dr. in Clermont last week-there was a sign on the door--NO Weapons Allowed- i placed my gun in a concealed compartment in my car and locked my car. Situations may arise when a gun must be left in your vehicle.

No. A doctor's office can request that you not bring a firearm into the office. But, it is not a crime and cannot be enforced in Florida. If you have a concealed carry license, you can take a firearm almost anywhere with a few exceptions, like bars and Government buildings.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Smile Guns in cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post

Florida law on concealed weapons does not prohibit carrying concealed weapons in self-declared gun free zones on private property. However, if the owner/operator of the property discerns that you are carrying, he can order you to leave, and if you fail to do so you can be arrested for trespassing. (This is not legal advice.)

A full list of places where carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited is at Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

Note that places that primarily serve alcoholic beverages is explicitly off limits.

One provision of the statute is "(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes."

Get real, people. People carry guns in cars. Virtually every police car you see has some kind of long gun in the trunk.

Tags
gun, cars, owner, owners, irresponsible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.